+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Penta

Blog Entries

Penta

I propagated some Penta from the flower bed at work in the late fall. It is currently blooming in a pot in my basement.
    Small bright purple flowers. So, I guess this is the story of an annual posing as a houseplant until spring.

http://melanys.tripod.com/Penta.htm

best on-line close up photo I could find--guess why it's called 'penta' ?-couldn't find a photo of purple though--trust me it's prettier than this red one.

It also attracts BUTTERFLIES !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 02-06-2005 at 07:52 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    I've always felt the Penta's were much over looked as possible house plants myself! I would have to put them in with the Lantana as far as a garden plant goes and would find them much too nice a plant to treat souly as an annual. I may have to try one in the mound bed this season, and perhaps a couple of the Lantanas as well - that is if there is any room left once everything I cramed in there comes up!

The mound bed and the front border loof horrendous right now and are in dire need of a good clean-up. Yet I am hesitant to do so this early. May is a long ways off ad I still have snow cover on that side of the house! I am hoping Mother Nature takes pity on my gardens and lets Spring come a bit early so I can get all the beds cleaned up. The only plant that seems to have liked this winter is the Foxglove and it is going to be enormous by early Summer when it blooms. Sure hope it is a pretty color!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cathy,

The year before last, my neighbor gave me a small one that had light pink blooms. The is my second year to overwinter it. Call me sentimental, but this man is a very dear friend, and I didn't want to chance planting it in the garden without getting well rooted cuttings first.

Over the years, he has given me many cuttings. He lost a few of those plants, and I replenished them from the plants that I started.

He has a huge motor home and goes camping a lot. I care for his home and plants while he is gone, so he doesn't have to worry about anything. He will be 90 years old next year.

A couple of weeks ago, he gave me two huge boxes of fertilizers, fungicides, pesticides that he found in his garage. He gave many numerous large clay pots and six 2' X 4' lattice panels. I came home from school one day to find all of this just outside my garage door.

He is always giving me all kinds of goodies, and I am especially grateful when he gives me plants or seeds that he finds on his trips.

Enjoy your Pentas! Plant it in the ground next spring and take more rooted cuttings, and your plant will last forever. You can also make lots and lots more for mass plantings or sprinkling here in there to fill in gaps while other young perennials get a good start.

That is a big part of how Landspro got started.

FUN! FUN! FUN!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ahh!!!

I spotted the beginnngs of blooms on my pink penta in the porch area.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a purple one. I bet that is PRETTY!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is the one that my neighbor gave me. I have protected it every year, and it blooms quite nicely on my porch. You see, I never moved it, so it will spend another year in the same spot. I suspect that it has rooted through the pot into the ground, but that's okay.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And a Red One!

Not the best picture, but you get the idea....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread