+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Purchasing Plants for Seeds

Purchasing Plants for Seeds

I have done this so many times. Let me explain...

If I see a 6 pack of a particular Marigold that I like, it usually costs around $1.00. A packet of seeds will cost at least that. The blooms will produce seeds in a very short time, and I can harvest the seeds, plant them fresh and obtain even more seeds to seve for the next year.

Tom brought up a point about Datura. It doesn't mean that the seeds will always come true, but with annuals, many of them will be just as nice as the mother plant.

I guess I am just what you call a seed collector. I harvest more seeds than I can possibly ever plant.

Today, I harvested some Oleander and Dog Wood seeds. Who knows if I will ever get them planted, but they fascinate me just the same. Hopefully, I will have a chance to give them a try.

Pansies and Pinks also produce a lot of seeds as well as impatients and annual vinca. The Candy Lily also produces a lot of seeds.

4 O'clocks produce seeds also. I have been leary to grow those in the past because they can become invasive here, but my mother had a huge one that came back every year, and I didn't see them invade other areas of the garden. There are some new varieties, but I never see those on the bedding market, so I suppose I will opt to try some of the newer variety of seeds.

Those are my thoughts as I visit the seed racks...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

If you do plan to plant the dogwood seeds, you better get with it now. Remove the outside pulp and plant the hard white inside seed just barely below the surface and leave them outside. If you have tree rats you will need to protect them. You may actually be a little late, I plant mine in Oct, or Nov.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread