+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Signs of Spring....

Signs of Spring....

The familiar sights in my neighborhood that remind me that, indeed, spring is nearby...

Commonly known locally as the Tulip Tree, it is really Magnolia x soulangeana, and it seems that they are always the first to start blooming.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I don't know what this shrub is called. My neighbor has lots of them. They have tiny white blooms, and the blooms don't seem to mind the hard freezes.

Perhaps one of you can tell me what it is...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Mahonia

Another early blooming shrub...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ah, the magnolia. Believe it or not we had one when I was growing up on Long Island. It was in the center of the backyard. It took awhile to hit its stride but once it did it grew talla nd wide. Its only nemesis was the wind ! But I remember those white and pink thick waxy petals.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

When I think of the Magnolia, I think of the Southern Magnolia that grows wild in our woods just like dogwoods do.

I have always known these as a tulip tree rather than a Magnolia, and I think that is the reason.

But it should not be confused with the Tulip Poplar that has Tulip shaped leaves. My neighbor had a huge Tulip Poplar, and I was so sad to see it down after Hurricane Ivan. It is no longer....

Still, the pink one is a sign that spring is about to be here. The neighbor down (/up) the street has one that has blooms that are starting to open.

It's so nice to see floral color after so much dull brown grass and a lot of evergreen. With the exception of the camellias, of course, and I do need to remember to take my camera in the car with me to take some photos of large camellias loaded with blooms.

Still Camellias mean winter to me, and the Tulip Tree blooms means spring is just around the corner...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Obviously it is too soon for any signs of Spring here, but one of the first will be the tiny Snow Crocus, followed by the "Grecian Windflower". The one that I watch for though is aminiature dwarf bearded Iris. When it blooms I know Spring is here to stay

Rebecca!
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

The yellow Jasmine is full of buds that are starting to open.

The Forsythia are filled with buds and a few have opened.

Dandelions have not only bloomed, but I see that some have formed seeds that have already blown away. Argggggh! The flowers are so pretty, but they are extremely invasive here.

My pussy willow has started to open it's little blooms. Many, many deciduous plants like hydrangea have started to form larger buds that are turning green.

Camelias are still in magnificent bloom. Later today, I'll take a walk around the neighbor to look at the tulip trees.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread