+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: About Datura Seeds...

Blog Entries

Planting depth ?

I've been searching the threads and'net' for reference to planting depth ? What depth would that be ?
    And should I pre-soak ?
    Thanks !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

It helps to soak them for a day or two. Some say to nick, but I never nick mine.

Plant them about 1/8th to 1/4" below the soil. They need warmth to germinate and will appreciate lots of light.

Be patient because some take longer than others to germinate. Keep the soil moist. If they are in direct sun, you tent them in clear plastic to retain moisture until they sprout.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thank you Ann !
    I will start soaking the datura, morning glory and lantana seeds tonight.
    I planted Cleome and Purple Majesty Millet today.
    I did my homework and re-read the threads about the PMM. I put no more than 4 seeds per gallon pot(3 pots). I have more seeds but want to see how that goes.
    The Cleome was half store bought and half from my boss's wife. They are all oh gosh I think Pink Queen something.
    I misted the pot tops and placed under the screen contraption that my daylily seeds are in.
    Do you think I should put some plastic over the Cleome and Millet seeds pot tops as well ? Half the contraption gets afternoon sun and dries faster than the other half and it's the sunnier half that I put those pots in --Of course I could scoot them down to the less sunny side ?

Cathy,

The cleome needs variable temperatures (cool nights, warmer days). The PPM needs warm nights and warm days.

I wouldn't put anything in direct sun that has plastic over it. When the sun hits, the babies will fry.

Datura and PPM will do fine in full sun, but just make sure that you water them well and not let the soil dry out too much. BOTH need warmth, or they will not do very much.

I have started all three in the old gh with no problems. The exception was that I started cleome in the winter months when the gh was cooler at night and warmer in the day time.

I have started all three under fluorescents inside the house. The datura and PPM germinated fine, but the cleome didn't germinate until after I moved the flat to the old gh.

Sounds like you are havng FUN!!!

I plan to soak some cranberry hibiscus (not hardy, but burgandy oak shaped leaves) for a couple of days and sow those in the gh. The seeds are 2004 seeds, but I believe they will still be good.

I already started some old (2003) Texas Star Hibiscus and they germinated fine, so I need to make little packets for those to send out.

Last week, I inherited another class, a really good class with juniors and seniors who totally failed the last test before they came to me. So, I quickly regrouped, studied the book (Algebraic connections - applied math), retaught them and retested them. I just finished grading them and they did GREAT!

It's the first class I have had in the last three years where the majority of them actually thanked me for helping them. Other teachers and administrators were coming to me all day on Friday to tell me what they were hearing from various students.

Next year, I'm supposed to get better classes. Then, maybe life will get back to normal, huh? I do believe that I've already 'paid my dues' as they call it....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh Ann ! I am so happy for you and your students ! Those kids need intellectual confidence boosting ! Good job all around !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3