Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: About Datura Seeds...

Here is the other...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

One will have a thornless seed pod that is lumpy like the image of a brain.

The other has a pod that is quite thorny. I really don't remember which is which, but hopefully this year I can take pictures and document which is.

When I bought the first one, I didn't know there was more than one type of double purple datura. It was the one with the thorny seed pod.

When I bought the second, I realized there was a difference, not only in the bloom, but also in the pods.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Okay, follow up pictures...

The next day of the first one
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The next day picture of the second one...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Seed Pod from a White 'Ballerina'

This seed came from Park's. The germination rate was not as high as the purple ones that I saved from years gone by...

Anyway, this is what I call a thorny seed pod...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The 'Other' Kind of Seed Pod

The one that I described as looking like a brain. It is a purple double, as opposed to the triple one...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I'm getting really annoyed at these green caterpillars that are eating ALL of the foliage off my purple daturas. So far, I have found 2 that have destroyed the foliage on five of my plants. The plants still live. The seed pods appear to be holding on, but what a set back!

These green caterpillars are covered with parisitic wasps. Some say to leave them alone, and they will no longer harm the plants, but they are WRONG!

I am not a bug person, and I do enjoy butterflies and do not mind the holes in my passiflora because I know that they do not really harm the plant itself.

But, I draw the line when it comes to those green monsters who eat everything in site.

BTW, I sure wish that I had my camera ready when I saw a teensy, wheensy lizard perched on top of two daylily seed pods. Yep, he was smaller than the two pods and they were small pods. I love nature and critters, but only to a point. When they are this destructive, they are GONE!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Gorgeous blooms, Ann!

Hi Ann,
    Been a while since I visited this site, but thought I'd stop by and see what was up with you all. Had to compliment you on your purple datura blooms!
    I got a few seeds of a white datura in a swap last season but only one germinated. I've never grown them before so was excited to have them in my garden. What a gorgeous plant. It looks like a shrub right now standing at almost 3 feet and I'll have plenty of seeds to share with anyone that wants any.
    Would it be possible to buy a few seeds from both of your purples? I'd love to have them mixed in with my whites.

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Hey, Becki!

It's good to have you visit.

I'm watching the pods carefully. I hope to have lots of these to share with my friends. They are so very pretty.

I'll let you know when some are ready.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A few of the pods burst when I was paying attention to other needs after the storm.

However, there are many more pods forming. I'll have to keep a better eye on those. All the datura and Brugs lost most of their leaves during the storm, and the Brugs in the front bed is leaning over the sidewalk. But have no fear, little leaves are bouncing back and I will take lots of cuttings from the leaning one this week.

I had hand pollinated yellow Brugs to the Pink blooms. The stems to the blooms are still attached. It remains to be seen if they will continue to hang on and develop pods. I sure hope so!

Also, I see that one purple pod is getting thorny. I am anxious to take a photo of that one so you can see the difference. It is still small and already developing the thorny look.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Glad you survived Katrina!

Ann,
    Glad to know you're okay. Sorry to hear of your damage, but look at the bright side, it could have been so much worse.
    Glad to hear your Daturas and Brugs are still holding on. Must be pretty determined little buggers..lol.

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Blog Entries
    Is it OK to refrigerate the datura seeds til Spring ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    I don't see why not. The neighbor where I have my "Borrowed Garden" has some that come back every year from self sown seeds so ones kept in the fridge should do just fine.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cathy,

I don't suppose it will hurt them to refrigerate them, but mine have lasted fine for several years without refrigeration.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I have read where these seeds seem to last for years.
    I'm so glad I got these as they are a childhood memory thing ! White moonflowers !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast