+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: About Datura Seeds...

About Datura Seeds...

My first Datura was the beautiful, doubled purple and white one, and as it turns out, it was the prettiest one that I have ever owned. I harvested many, many seeds. The envelope where they are stored is dated 2001.

Since then, Tom gave me some seeds from the white one that he calls LOCO weed (correct me if I am wrong, Tom). I decided to try something 'old'. I tried germinating them in damp paper towel enclosed in a ziplock bag as opposed to the old Mason jar trick.

It worked, but I noticed something different about these from the Amaryllis seeds growing in this manner. They developed their tap root long before the leaves started emerging. That must be why the germination periods are so long. They are growing, and they are germinating. You simply don't see it because the initial growth is beneath the soil level.

So, I decided to try this same method except that I added the step of soaking the seeds for several days. These old seeds were so hard and so dry, and I wondered if they would be viable.

Well, guess what? They are...

So, someone want to venture as to why these seeds are so expensive? Number one - They produce LOTS of seeds for every bloom. Number two - They appear to remain viable for at least 3-4 years.

Go figure!!! I am looking foward to a pretty, doubled purple Datura this summer and harvesting fresh seeds.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Datura has been called thorn-apple, prickly-burr, Jimson Weed , devil's weed, Devil's Apple, Mad Apple, Stinkweed, toloache, Moonflower, Witch's Thimble, Angel Trumpet, and/or Loco Weed.

Ann is correct, Datura produces large numbers of seeds that mature all during the very long blooming season. To keep the plant blooming, deadheading is essential. After the plant begins to slow down on blooming, there is still ample opportunity to harvest seeds. There can be 50 or more in each pod, that are a little larger, but shaped like bell pepper seeds ( same family by the way).

Be sure to wash your hands after collecting seeds or deadheading. These things are not called Loco weed for no reason. They are hallucinogenic.

I don't know this for sure, but perhaps the reason seeds are so expensive is that the colored/double flowered ones are hybreds, and do not produce true from seeds. You should have proof before summers end Ann.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

One of the seedlings has deep purple stem already. It was in more advanced stages than the others, but has no leaves yet.

I also planted some in soiless mix. So, we will see if there is any difference in timing for this two group of seeds.

Not exactly scientific, but FUN, just the same!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

All of the seedlings have purple stems, but that doesn't mean the flower will be double or purple/white. All of them have sprouted already.

The only problem that a few are having is that the seed head is stuck and the leaves haven't emerged. I had to pinch the seed heads off of two of them after the second set of leaves formed. I suppose that I should have taken a picture, huh? I just couldn't resist.

They are leggy because the lights are set too high (for another set of plants), but I believe they will survive. I plan to take a picture of a couple of them tomorrow.

Tom, I don't think the doubled ones bloom and reseed as well as the white, single variety. I can't say that for sure because I have always grown them in pots. This year, I hope to have enough to put in the gardens where they will flourish.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann and Tom,

I was given seeds from 'Yellow Ballerina' and told that they do come true from seed, though it is uncommon for hybrids to do so. I haven't planted any of them yet, since I have been procrastinating planting any seeds. Needless to say, this topic proved quite timely for me, at least now I know how to handle them and what to expect as far as germination time. Now then, how long from planting till the first "leaves" do break through the potting medium? Do they need any bottom heat or any other special requirements?

I've kept the seeds in the fridge (like I do all of my seeds), so these should stay viable for quite a number of years, which is good since I plan to plant only 2 or 3 seeds and use the plants as container plants for my front porch (sun from sunrise to a little past noon). I want something different from the usual annuals, and these should fit the bill!

TIA!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

These seeds were really old, even older than the ones that Tom gave me. I did not refrigerate them. I didn't know if it would be good to do that since they are tropical.

Anyway, the seed coats were really, really hard, so I soaked them in water for 3 days and planted them on January 22. Some I placed in damp paper towels, and some I sowed in potting soil. They both seem to have germinated about the same time give or take a few seeds. I first noticed the leaves on January 30, and the second set of leaves was just starting to form on some of them.

A few more have germinated since then. I think there are only 2 that haven't yet.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Seedlings....

I do need to purchase a filter for my camera. I took these outside so that you could see the purple stems.

The torn seedling leaves are not eaten by bugs. I finally pinched off the seed casing that was hanging on and wouldn't let go.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I have to assume you're using a digital camera. As you know, I like to do close-ups, bug's eye view shots. I've found, however, if I back off, adjust the field of focus and shot at the highest resolution and finest grain, I can get better close ups through croping and re-sizing the image. I also do not use flash and have been known to use an umbrella to supply some shade. Also, I adjust the "white light" setting to daylight. and with my camera that means taking it off of automatic balance.

If I have time and if I don't forget, I want to try to get some images of the teeny, tiny blooms on my Violet Squill. The color is really amazing. If I get them and they turn out right, I'll post them tomorrow night.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I still don't seem to have the macro with a flash working correctly. Oh, well...

I transplanted some of the larger Datura seedlings, and guess what? I should not have used the same soil from the original pots. I had put additional seeds in them, and now my transplants will have to be transplanted again because some have an additional two or three seeds sprouting in some of them.

It looks like I will be able to grow enough double purples that I will have plenty of seeds to share this year. These are not the Ballerinas from Park Seed. The original plant was purchased and my first Datura. I believe that it looks like Blackcurrent Swirl, but I will never know for sure snce the original tag didn't say...

When you plant the Ballerina seeds, please remember to let me know whether the stems of the seedlings are 'fuzzy' or not. I have some ballerinas that I planted, and the stems don't appear to have the fuz like the seedlings from my older saved seeds.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The seedlings are growing quite large. If we get a good rain, most of them are going to be planted in the flower beds.

The one seedling that looked different from the others is definitely not a datura. I am not sure what it is, but I have suspicions. I will know for sure this week because it has blooms about to open.

All of the leaves of my new datura have little tiny specs where something appears to have chewed on them from the underside. I may have to try some systemic insecticide. I don't like to do that, but it is sometimes necessary with some plants.

Canna definitely benefit because there are nasty critters that love to eat the leaves, leaving almost a skeleton when they are done.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yep!

I was right. The seedling was a non-variegated Jewels of Opar - Talinum paniculatum. The picture is a little out of focus, but too late because I turned the mister on in the greenhouse. I'll see if I can do better tomorrow.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here are my Datura seedlings.....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Those little holes look like something a flea beatle would make. They are hard to control.

If they grow anything like the white one, those little pots will not hold them for long.

I really am waiting on your report on the outcome of the seedlings. I have a double purple, and double yellow, that I am growing for my nursery friend and they are just now starting to show some tops.

The white single keeps comming back from the old plant each year, but I've heard that these doubles do not come through the winter as well. Oh well, that just means more sales for next year huh?
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom,

You are absolutely correct. They are already too big for the one gallon pots. They are now more than twice as big as shown in that picture, and I see flower buds forming on the purple ones.

The bigger holes are most likely slugs. The tiny holes, I am not sure... But I did use the Bayer, and I don't see holes in the newer leaves now.

These desperately need to go in the flower beds, but we have had no rain. Today, I am trying to catch up on watering everything. I have been hauling hoses around to another spot about every hour. That's the down side of having city water. I only have two faucets that still go to the well pump, so it means hauling hoses.

We are expecting rain this week, and we need it (just not all at once).
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, my first two blooms were beaten up pretty bad by T.S. Arlene, but it does appear that I see seed pods forming.

I know that I have at least two different kinds of double purple datura seeds. The blooms of each are quite different. The two that have already bloomed are more like the Horn of Plenty which is a purple tube within a purple tube and not quite as frilly.

I think that I managed to get pictures showing the difference BEFORE they bloom. We will see if that is the case when they manage to fully open.

Here is one....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast