+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nigella

Nigella

Love-in-a-Mist, I think that is what it is called.

I have never tried them, but I want to try them this year. I'd like to plant them amongst the Thunbergia Battiescombii. My thoughts are that the thin, spindly leaves of the Nigella will fill the gaps of the large leaved, short vines of the Thunbergia.

Anyway, it' s worth a try. Blue, pink or white... They would all look great against the vivid dark purples of the Thunbergia.

Anyone try these? They say that you can collect lots and lots of seeds from them, and that may be good or bad. Bad if it means they become invasive.

I'm willing to give it a try unless someone tells me it is not a good idea...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I have grow Nigellia for several years, it first appeared in with a seed mixture for a "Butterfly Garden", I think. Anyway, I've tried to save a few seeds every year and I do a lot of direct sowing. Some years I have tons of them, other years only a few survive. They were one of my Grandmother's favorite flowers.

The seed pods remind me of one of the many fancy gourds or a squash of some sort. Rounded at the base and spiked at the top like it was wearing a crown. They are neat in an arrangement of dried flowers.

I actually like Nigellia for the finely cut foliage.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread