+ Reply to Thread

Thread: freecycle

freecycle

Hi All,
    Just wanted to pass along a link I found called freecycle.
    It's a yahoo group and they have different groups for all over the country. Check it out.

http://groups.yahoo.com/

search for freecycle
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki and All,
    I'm signed up on two of these , you really have to be fast to get the good stuff.I hadn't got anything yet ,too slow I guess.I do believe they're people who watch these all day and nite.
    William B.

Blog Entries
    Wow! There's one right here where I live, so I joined. Maybe I won't have to chase pots down anymore!

Kewl!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,
    We might have discussed this before,can't remember.Have you ever checked with some of your landscape installers for pots?I have a installer thats about 5 miles from me that begs me to pick his up so he doesn't have to haul to landfill.I went and got two pick-up loads last week ones,threes and tens.He has 1000's of one gal. still there.I'II get one more load before the snakes come out,almost got bite by a copperhead last spring.He was in the containers when I moved them.The funny part was I hauled these containers around for almost a week before I had a chance to unload them.Thats when he almost got me.Now I wait until a bunch of hard freezes before I Pick my years supply up.
    Anyway, check with the installers containers are just in there way.I used to get some at some garden centers,most of them are holding them to sell.
    Thanks,
    William B.Z-6

Blog Entries
    William,

We have discussed this before! Good memory!

I do get all or about all of the plastic pots I use from a local nursery/landscaping firm, but they are rather lax to let go of the really big pots, at least not for free. Freecycle could offer some alternatives as well as opportunities to get something other than plastic. I do use clay pots for some of my plants: 6, 8 and 10-inch mainly, but you never know when you might have a need for a really big one!

I will have to grow all of my seedling daylilies in pots from now on, unless I can work something out with a neighbor come Spring and if I do get lucky, I'll still need a way to haul large quantities of water, or a very long garden hose! Perhaps someone will have a couple of large totes they no longer need and they would be ideal for hauling water - or storing pots in until needed.

I see it (Freecycle) as a resource, as I doubt I'll ever have much of anything to offer, except perhaps surplus plants!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I searched on "freecycle Wichita" and think I found the metaphorical equivalent of one of William's copperhead snakes or at least what appears to be an anti-Wichita freecycle faction--didn't know it could get so political !

"This group was formed to air complaints about the Wichita Freecycle group. This is the place to vent, whine and complain about all your favorite freecycler posts and dealings. Thanks, From Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator. "

Love that "friendly" midwest spirit !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    I had a message from my local freecycle stating she need to know my location before she would approve my membership! What's up with THAT? I didn't see that they had so many members that they could be exclusive! Could be how she gets rid of or keeps out those who would seak to misuse the service.

Sure hope I meet her criteria: I not only live here, but work here as well and I am not a commercial/retail entity!

We will see, we will see. . . .

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,
    Don't know.I signed up for the Nashville,Tn six or seven months ago.Then they started a new one in the county I live in (Cheatham) a month ago.Neither one asked me anything when I signed Up.I think they are a franchise or something like that.So I guess each one is a little different?
    Thanks,
    William B.Z-6

+ Reply to Thread