+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tricyrtis - Toad Lily

Tricyrtis - Toad Lily

I do believe that the variety that I have is Tricyrtis x 'Miyazaki', but I will never know for sure unless I find the plant label. I don't even remember when I purchased it or where. To make it worse, I don't remember if I purchased it for the foliage or the flowers. I do remember that this plant was new to me.

On one of our Master Gardening trips to the Mobile Botanical Gardens, I saw a Toad Lily that was different in many ways. The flowers were on longer stems which were more upright and clustered than mine.

The flowers on mine are like tiny orchids and almost appear as if they were attached to the stem. I know that I have a picture somewhere on one of my backup disks, so I absolutely must find it. If there were blooms this year, I missed them. Most of the foliage that was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan debree when the tree that once gave it shade fell on the house and leanto.

Then there were all those 'tree' men who stomped all over that bed in attempt to remove the tree from the house.

I searched through my seeds and found some old Toad Lily seeds. I decided to give them a try.

Guess what?!?!?! I have baby Toad lilies growing...

I have no idea if they will grow true or similar from seed. I suspect that they will not since I am now finding many, many varieties on the internet.

Still, I welcome 'different' varieties!

I do love growing plants from seeds, and I like this plant...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    YELLOW TOADS:

Tricyrtis oshumiensis

Tricyrtis latifolia

http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/tricyr/tricy21.jpg

Tricyrtis perfoliata

There are even a couple of pure white ones and some that are bi-colors! This is a very interesting group!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ann, I got a catalog yesterday that has a blue tinted toad lily. Very pretty.May be on their web site. Guru's garden.com I think.
    tennessee sue

Spring Hill Nursery has 5 varieties. When you search for Toad Lily, you get one set. When you search for Tricyrtis, you get the other two.

Here is one link (see Tricyrtis 'Blue Wonder'):

http://springhillnursery.com/search....rtis&x=12&y=11

And here is the other:

http://springhillnursery.com/search....+lily&x=10&y=9
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

An Old Picture...

I realize that this is an old picture, and one of the reasons that I have never posted it is that the quality of the picture is not that good.

However, in the picture, you can get an idea of what the flowers look like, where they are located, and if you look to the right in the picture, you can see the seed pods.

These are the seeds that I am currently growing...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann & all,
    Oohh! I like these, going to have to try some of them.
    Thanks!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Is this what your's looks like":
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

It sort of looks like that, but I can't really tell if it is the same. I would have to see the flowers next to the stems, but even then, I still wouldn't be sure without seeing the flowers side by side.

The flower stalks are less than an inch long, and there is only one flower per stalk. The other Tricyrtis that I have seen in person have a cluster of blooms on a single stalk.

Also, I do not remember any spots on the reproductive parts of the flower like yours seems to have.

It's hard to explain...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I've had mine for, 4 or 5 years, maybe longer, since I really can't recall when I did buy them. In all that time I have never seed a seed pod on them and I have LOOKED in earnest! I've shown images of it before, but will see if I can locate one to attach.

Mine needs to be divided, again, and I'll have some extras if anyone is interested. It came identified only as "Toad Lily", but I think it is T. hirta.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Yes, Rebecca!

I remember the photo. That one is beautiful, and it appears to have blooms in clusters like I was trying to describe.

It may be that you season is too short to produce seeds. The older picture that I posted was taken in October (labeled that way), and the seed pods are not ripe yet. Hopefully, next year mine will bloom again, and I can tell you how long it takes the seed pods to ripen.

Perhaps it could be that some varieties form seed pods more easily than others. I know that I never hand pollinated this one, and nearly all of the flowers produced pods. This is only one plant, and I have never divided it. I understand that they are supposed to multiply, but mine hasn't.

Every year, I say that I am going to try to root cuttings, but I never want to sacrifice any blooms to do so.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Not so sure I like my new filing system, took me forever to find that image!

How many stems come up in the Spring on yours? That would really be the ideal time to try any form of root propagation.

Failure to multiply could mean it is planted too deep, mine are barely covered with soil, or perhaps there was too much competition for nutrients. So many things can cause poor plant performance, but I'd check out the planting depth first. Didn't you say you have to move it in the Spring anyway?

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Yes, Rebecca! It may be planted too deep. I don't know how many stems, but I would estimate that there are about 20. They form sort of a dome shape.

And, yes! It may be too crowded. The paperwhites have multiplied and need to be divided. The pink hydrangea has also grown much larger.

The spread of the stems is about 24 inches, and 24 inches are no longer available due to the paperwhites.

I have to move it because it will no longer get enough shade this summer. The sun burns the leaves. I'm not sure where I am going to move it, yet! I really lost a lot of shade when I lost that tree.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread