+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Indoor Daffs: Brown Tips ?

Blog Entries

Indoor Daffs: Brown Tips ?

Any idea what might be causing indoor daffs to be getting brown tips at the ends of their leaves ? This is a description from my Mom in FL to whom I gave a pot of daffs that were growing already. They had been through the Kansas summer as well as the cold(in the garage) fall/early winter up until the beginning of December. Their 'siblings' remain in my garage no worse for the wear. Anyway, the ones in FL are in the kitchen window which has sun from noon until late afternoon. They are watered once a week. Mom thought it was too cold at night for them but it isn't too cold for the ones in my gargage(cold in KS is much lower than cold in FL). She had also thought maybe it was the sun's intensity. Any ideas ? And should the brown be snipped ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

It's hard to tell without more detailed information, but it definitely should not be too cold. Mine that are in the ground are sending up leaves right now. They bloom in mid to late winter, and they do like the cold.

When they are ready to rest during the summer, the leaves will start to dry at the tips and slowly turn yellow/brown toward the base.

Also, too much water will cause problems.

I've never grown these in the house. They have always gone into my garden. I don't like to force them because that can shorten the lives.

Perhaps someone who has grown them as potted plants can shed some light on this problem.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I should have mentioned that these were Easter rescues. 6-7 bulbs in a small pot. They are quite slender stemmed and the flowers are very small(= 'dainty'). Not that that helps any.
    Would too much water make the stem tips brown ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I have several forms of the miniature ones. The bulbs are also much smaller. I do adore them. They multiply very fast.

It seems that I read somewhere that too much water could cause them to do that. I'll have to scour through my bulb books and see if I can find more information...

Meanwhile, I would stop watering until the top of the soil is dry.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread