+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: West Michigan weather

Well once again -16.7 degrees here in chilly west michigan, night before last. A little more moderate now at 17.8. But with the wind chills it was -10 here today. Brrrr!
    I'm staying optimistic spring is on it's way.
    stay warm everyone!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

Spring is definitely on the way here. I can't wait! For me, it is only about 6 more weeks.

That means it's about time to start some annuals from seed. I can't sow them outdoors because there will be more frosts and hard freezes to endure. I start them under fluorescent lights inside the house. Otherwise, the will get leggy and are subject to damping off durnig cool nights.

I haven't grown very many annuals (except coleus) in the past few years, and I have missed the quick bloom. Besides, I need to harvest some fresh seeds.

There's a chill in the air today, and it has been raining. Highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Nice temperatures, but dampness is everywhere. Still, I would like to expose myself to a little gardening...

Enjoy the snow for me, and I'll pretend!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann and All,
    Spring really did make it here on time! LOL! It has been beautfiul and sunny here the last week or so. Today it is 71!!! Overcast though as thunderstorms are moving in. My snow has been gone for a week or so and things are starting to pop up. I can see the gardens have fared pretty well here. The forsythia buds are getting ready to burst. That is the true sign for me. Forsythia and daffs yeah!!!
    Happy Spring All!!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Wonderful!!!!

I still have a few (late) daffodils ready to bloom. Most of them are going to seed.

The timing this year on the Sparaxis was great because the Daffs in the center of the circle have pretty much done their thing.

Dogwoods, Azalea and Bridal Wreath Spirea are at their peak.

Enjoy, Vicki! I surely hope that you will be as lucky as we have been and avoid the late frosts.

The highs have been around 79-80 on some days, but on others, it has only been in the upper 60s.

We have been busy digging up Privet and Oak trees that have gotten huge. Bet I don't miss another year of digging. If I can't dig, I bet my husband will be out their doing it. We had to attach some to a rope and pull some of them out with the truck (privets). I was the director, and thank goodness because I almost lost a pink, double camelia and Ben Morrison azalea when my husband was pulling a 'leaning' privet out of the circle bed. It was in a very dangerous location, and we ended up pruning one inch diameter limbs so that it could be pulled between other shrubs.

That privet was leaning due to Ivan, and I am thankful to have it out of there. We even had to prune some of the lower limbs of the sawtooth oak to get it out of there.

Axes and shovels are put away for the day. Hubby and Hunter went to the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit leaving me with a day to myself. I tried to go shopping, but a chemical truck turned over and the Interstate is blocked for miles forcing tons of traffic (lots of trucks) on side roads all over town. They even closed the Walmart that I planned to visit, so forget the Lowes accross the street. I headed back to my side of town, only to find out that the traffic beat me.

It took me 40 minutes to get 5 miles. It did make it to the Target Superstore and managed to purchase a red Clerodendrum vine that I have been wanting ever since a member of Landspro told me about it. Whoops! Gotta find that thread...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2