+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: West Michigan weather

West Michigan weather

West Michigan weather has been just as screwy as the rest of the country! The day before yesterday it started raining and was very warm here, about 55. Then yesterday morning rain and dense fog, by afternoon it was 60+ degrees! All the snow was gone, but we got a light dusting this morning. Temp is now 30 and going to fall fast. Highs predicted to be in the teens the next few days.
    Spring is coming and I'm holding my breath! Turning blue, but . . . . . .
    There is flood warnings in effect for our area also.

Take care everyone and stay warm!!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Well now we are experiencing the COLD temps. It is 6.3 here now. It only got to 12 today. My Mom's car doors kept freezing and that was a bummer. I guess it's only supposed to be a little warmer tomorrow. We had very little snow, just a dusting really. Seems weird with very cold temps and hardly no snow.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

cold without snow

I sure prefer the cold snaps with some snow on the ground.

We got thru -12C here last Jan. with little problem coz of the 8in of snow. This year is a lot harder with -9C last night and tonight...but with just a skim of snow here.

I hate seeing the pots dry out so quick, with many evergreens looking quite wilty in the dry wind with bright sun on their frozen leaves...just a worrying parent perhaps, but I feel their pain!

Glen

SNOW!!!!

Well after about 10 days of single digit and - temps we got about 8" to 10" of snow last night. A little further north they got 12" to 16"! The temps have warmed considerably to a balmy 27.1 now. The schools were closed, and the snowplows are just now getting the roads cleared.
    I'm sure my plants are liking the nice warm blanket of snow.
    Night before last we were down to -7.2. Brrrr!

Stay warm everyone!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    We're having 50's today--2 weeks ago I was home watching the limbs of my trees fall from the weight of the ice storm. Go figure !
    I have to say I do like a nice snowfall--we really don't get them here in Oz. Usually 1 or 2 inches that is on top of ice or turns into ice--just not pretty. Now when I lived on Long Island we would sometimes get nice snowfalls--the kind kids could build forts and snowmen with. I always liked the feeling being inside while looking out at the snow falling at night; it was so quiet--you could actually hear the snow falling. I had a neighbor who would fire up his snowblower 11 at night and clear everyone's side walks and walkways to their doors. And snow ploughs would come through and push the snow across the driveways and everyone would be out shoveling their driveways in the morning. Where I live now, there's no way the city would ever plough residential streets. And we don't even have sidewalks(the developers are too cheap) !
    (Nostalgic)Sigh !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

We finally got up into the upper 50's today. Tomorrow is going to reach into the upper 60's. Back to normal weather...

Unfortunately, I see another forecasted low of about 27 on Sunday night.

Did anyone say, "I am ready for spring." I certainly am!

In the meantime, I am scouring plant catalogs, studying, wishing, hoping and wanting, and planning for what will be once this winter is OVER!

You know something, I don't think I would mind these cold spells so much if we had a little snow and not just brown grass and blooming green weeds!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well we got dumped on again! Between yesterday and today, we have gotten an additional 8-10". It's about 16 out today, and a little breezy.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Whacky Weather HERE!!!!

Vicki,

It was 75 degrees this afternoon, but the whacky thing is that they have forecasted a low of 25 tonight and 24 tomorrow night which means the temperature is going to have to drop rapidly. I looked at the hourly forecast on several weather sites, and they all say about the same thing.

The wind is supposed to be 20-30 mph, so this must be one cold, bitter monster that is coming our way. I watched the news several times this afternoon. The northeast is getting hit really hard with this storm.

It sounds like the power crews are going to be busy again!

Stay safe! Stay warm!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Indeed, this morning, the temperature dropped to around 26 degrees. I woke up at 2:30 am. I had left the light on the porch to remind my husband to turn on the heaters. It was still on...

I checked, and the heaters were not running. The temperature was 40 degrees in the patio. I am sure that it was much colder on the porch. The wind had been popping the plastic all night long, but I was so tired, I slept through that.

I turned on the electric heater and woke up hubby to start the kerosene heater. Both ran all day today. I don't think the temps rose above 45 degrees. It was cold, but not the 'feel like 13' that it was at daybreak.

Tonight is another story. It's now about 32 degrees and dropping fast. We will have what we call a hard freeze. That means 26 degrees or below for more than five hours. We don't have very many of those, but they do happen.

I feel for those of you that live with cold for months at a time....

I am ready for SPRING!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It was 4 degrees here this a.m. with about a foot of snow on the ground. Thank God, it doesn't get like this very often. Heaven, for me, will be a constant 70-80. I don't do heat or cold very well. Shepp, I think of you and your brothers out all the time in the worst of the weather and thank you with all my heart! You make comfort possible for the rest of us. Thank you.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

well here I am with another update. Hold your breath, you are not going to believe this. We got down to -17!!!! Yes, minus seventeen degrees the night before last. I can't ever remember it getting that cold here! Although I'm sure it has, at some time. My bathtub drain froze and so did my hot water! Grrr!
    Had a virtual heat wave last night, it was 22.6. Boy what a difference.
    Sure am ready for spring!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Shivering, chattering cold, huh!!!?!?!?!

It didn't get as cold as expected last night. Everything looks okay, here.

It will be a light frost in my little microclimate in the morning. After that, we are expecting a week or so of more typical temperatures with a sprinkling of light frost days.

Sandi, I think I would like 60-70 degree days. 80 degrees gets rather muggy here with our high humidity.

Ah, yes! Vicki, spring sounds really nice, doesn't it? I can't even begin to imagine the type of cold you are experiencing. I have never been in the north when it was that cold.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Stay safe and WARM!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Had a regular Heat Wave here today! Got up to 37! Didn't even need a coat when I took the trash out!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

"Surely, you GEST!!!!"

That's okay! You all can make fun of this lady that rarely gets to play in the snow! It is really pretty, and I must say that I have rarely seen it.

LAS! That is COLD!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

We do tease you a lot about being such a "Tropical Flower", but if I had grown up and always lived in the South, I wouldn't be able to stand even the thought of being out in anything below 60 degrees, let alone some of the really frigid weather we've had. It's all in what one is acclimated to. As much as I hate to admit it, I thing (as I get older) I prefer the cold over the heat and the humidity. I can almost always get relatively warm, but it's getting harder and harder for me to get cool when the temps hit 90 with high humidity.

Believe me, if you spent any appreciable amount of time in the North, the cold wouldn't bother you at all!

We Northerners are just jealous cause we's up here freezing our casabas off!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast