+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chance of Flooding again

Blog Entries
    Ann,

You just don't know any better! LOL, just kidding! Ice is colder than snow, but not that much. You can't see it in the above image, but there's still a layer of ice on the tree branched. Now ice covered trees topped with snow should make anyone shiver!

There is a strange thing about ice storms and snow and frozen ponds, creeks, etc.

Ice storms don't always require the ground temperatures to be at or below freezing for it to form and remain on the area flora, just the air temperature. Snow, on the other hand, must have freezing or below GROUND temperatures to be able to stick and accumulate.

For bodies of water to freeze, they also must reach 32 degrees and below and must be still. It's hard to freeze moving water and until yesterday, this creek was moving at a good clip! Downstream (for this creek and it's proximity to my home, that's just the difference between the East and West side of the street it runs under) the water is still moving. The level has dropped several feet, but I expect by tomorrow afternoon it will be back up again.

The retention pond behind the store is fed by an artesian well and by ground water run off. It was forming a thin layer of ice today, but with the warmer temps coming it won't last for long. It will freeze solid, eventually this winter, except where the well feeds into it and the muskrat lives - both of those natural occurrences will keep that area open. Muskrat's burrow is within a few feet of the run so it will be a good sized area that will stay open.

Shepp,

That image is signed, dated and I do have the (c) on it. It's very light, in the lower right hand corner, as I didn't want to detract from the image. The "framing" really sets it off too. That's about all I can do to protect my images, short of having 'DO NOT COPY' plastered all over them. I need to look into adding a digital copyright to all of my better images, but will have to wait until I'm famous to do so!

It pleases me that you both thought it so nice! I thought so too, but I'm biased!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

No need to kid, my friend!

You are absolutely right! I don't know any better. I have seen very,very little snow and ice in my lifetime....

When I used to travel to Massachusetts a LOT, I always avoided the winter. In all those years, I managed to only be in one snow storm. My 'boss' bragged about how good he was at driving (from the airport to the hotel) in those conditions. I was terrified!

My very best customer only brought at electric razor, and wouldn't you know that there was gas, but no electricity.

I was traveling from Dallas, TX where the temps had been ranging above 100. I checked the weather the week before. They said warm. So, I wore long slacks, but open toed shoes.

Thank goodness I was young. They all just smiled and forgave me as I grabbed hold of a young man beside me as I started slipping down the ice covered steps to the building.

LOL! Please laugh at me all you want because I think it is so much fun to learn!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I've done my share of unintentional ice skating myself!, and not necessarily when I was "younger" either!

Well, I have to go do back-up CD's of everything so we can do a complete System Recovery to fix the multitude of little "issues" I've been having with this computer. So if y'all don't hear from me you'll know I messed up and wasn't able to recovery my systems. It's almost not worth the risks, but I have to be able to shut this thing down and sound and video playback would also be nice. I can't even get simple animations to play right now!

Maybe I'll get really lucky this year and get enough back in my tax refund to get all three things on my wish list. (Glasses, Camera and Computer)

Stay warm everyone and y'all Yankees, stay upright!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Shepp, I saw pics on TV from your area. Looks bad. I hate mud and slush. Makes me very thankful for where I live. We have been in the 50's and 60's. No snow yet this year. We do occasioally get a good one though. I've only had to waer my heavy coat a couple of times.
    We have a very unique little climate here surrounded by mountains. They block a lot of weather from the north and the east.
    I am afriad we will pay for the warm weather come Fab. and March. I would rather have winter now and spring in March.
    It has been so warm that the spring allergy season has started.
    Everyone is suffering from allergies and sinuses. Big write up in the paper about it. I don't think we'll be lucky much longer.
    tennessee sue

getting pounded 2 more times this week.1.8 incheswednesday nite, and pouring rain now.
    the road i live on is missing 1/2 in one location. dissappeared yesterday after i drove over it when i went to work.
    one lane road. i hope they get it fixed.fast
    here are more pics of flooding some are historical. Dateing back to 1884.
    and some new .
    click on this link.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...4/photo01.html

here is current pics no pun intended.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...2/photo01.html

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...1/photo01.html

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...3/photo01.html

Last edited by shepp; 01-13-2005 at 03:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3