+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chance of Flooding again

Blog Entries
    Here's a pix of Prairie Creek, still running fast and deep. For a little creek that nearly dies up in the summer, it is staying very full. I'm wondering how much of the bank will be left when it finally recedes.

Rebecca

PS

I have a few images uploaded to the album: ICE STORM, if anyone wants to see a few more. Haven't gotten all of the loaded yet, but it's a start. Do a copy and paste on the url in my signature line to get there,
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,
    What kind of camera do you use for all the pictures you post?
    Thanks,
    William B.Z-6

You are really getting the rain, aren't you?

Now, I am a dummy when it comes to winter up north.

What happens if you have a really hard freeze and all of this rain water has flooded the rivers, creeks and landscapes?

Do you just wait until spring for thaw down?

Sorry to sound so dumb, but I am curious because this is something that I have never experienced.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Texas Shepps Ride into Town....

If the video will play for you, it's a nice story. (Since that story, they have been joined by crews from Kentucky). If you get install flash popups you can just say no and listen to the audio or read the article.

http://www.ksn.com/news/stories/6798634.html
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 01-07-2005 at 05:39 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Wm.

Would you believe an inexpensive little SAMSUNG DIGIMAX 201!
    I bought it last year when it was on clearance for $90, my previous one (SAMSUNG DIGIMAX 200) quit working on me and I had to replace it quick and the 201 was all I could afford at the time.

For a no-frills point and shot it does a dandy job for what I use it for. I have been drooling ove a particular Kodak Digital lately, it sells for nearly $400, so maybe I'll treat myself to one when the tax refund comes in.

For a first digital camer, the Samsung can't be beat!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Ann,

We just "deal". . . actually, around here the ground stays frozen most of the winter, once winter really sets in. Rain tends to thaw things out, leaving some place for the rain water to go, but right now, with the ground saturated and all the creeks, streams, rivers and lakes pretty much filled, there isn't much we can do. People in flood prone areas pile up the sand bags and still prepare to move to higher ground.

If, or perhaps, when, we loose power, most are ready for that too, with a supply of lanterns, oil lamps, flashlight and what have you. Perishable foods can be put in the garage or a cooler and set outside - the cold will keep it fresh and usually frozen. Some folks have gas (natural or LP) and are able to at least keep warm.

I haven't had to deal with any long term power failures in the winter, so I just don't worry about it. I do turn faucets on at just a trickle to keep the pipes open. And I can cover most of the house plants - those in the windows get pulled away from them.

Mostly, though, we just go on with life.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

scroll half way down to see videos .
    this post will need deleted when videos change.
    view flooding in marietta and ice storm lima ohio.

http://www.onnnews.com/

Blog Entries
    EEk ! The ice scenes look familiar but that flooding is ba-ad !
    Thanks for the link--good video !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I have never seen anything like those broken ice covered branches.

WoW! That is something!

Do you have problems with people touching the downed wires like we do? I thought about that when the lady said that she has electricity, but then the video showed a large limb/branch hanging on a power line.

I think those of you up north have been sent our normal rain, and somehow we received a really warm spell.

However, that warm spell is about to break. We had some rain (not a lot) last night, and it has been misty sprinkles ever since. It's also gotten rather chilly, 57 degrees and going to drop to 52 tonight.

We are looking at temps to drop to the frost level late this week.

Mmmmm! I did say that I would never complain about too much rain, didn't I? You can send some back down our way, if you'd like.

Thanks, Shepp, for posting the videos. It helps to undertand better when you can actually 'see'. I am an extreme 'visual' person. I learn and understand better by seeing rather than hearing.

Thanks, again!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

i just got back from observing this today.
    i was there yesterday and the water is up another 3 ft.
    i dont know how many acres this covers and how many gallons that would be. my best guess its a helluva bunch.
    read first link.. or play videos.

http://www.whiznews.com/article.php?articleId=11150

http://www.whiznews.com/article.php?articleId=11154

http://www.whiznews.com/article.php?articleId=11143

http://www.whiznews.com/article.php?articleId=11142

http://www.whiznews.com/article.php?articleId=11137

http://www.whiznews.com/alerts.php
    Last edited by shepp; 01-08-2005 at 03:16 PM.

Differences...

I have viewed the videos, read the articles and looked at the pictures.

There are major differences in your floods and the types that we face. In our populated areas, the water gets high fast, but also drains within a few hours leaving the grounds soaked and water standing in the ditches and in low lying areas. Damage is done, but it does not stay for a long time.

In the Mobile Delta, we have one high tide and one low tide per day. So, once the high has peaked, the water levels start to drop.

A little further north, the rivers will crest and overflow with heavy rains.

What we do not have is the problem with melted snow added to the rainfall.

I feel for those folks in mobile homes. Mobile home floors are made of wood that will buckle and fall apart when wet. You are talking about major damage when the water gets that high.

Gee, Shepp! I hope that relief from rains and melting snow is in the near future. I did note that the Red Cross shelters are there to keep families warm and dry. I often do not think that anyone (including myself) understands how much help the Red Cross is to the people who have to vacate their homes during disasters and/or seek safety.

Hang in there, Shepp! You haven't said, but I gather that your home, gh's and cf's are safe and you are working LOTS of overtime.

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    We got that winter weather last night, but not exactly what was forecasted! IT called for light rain turning to snow with only 1 to 2 inches accumulation expected. Sure. . .. the car was entombed in a 4 to 5 inch coat of SNOW and a good 4-inches of it on the ground at 9:45 this AM. It had settled some, I'm sure as it was/is a wet, heavy snow. I saw where "Bootsy" had been out checking things out, even came all the way up to the back door of the house. I have been leaving this door open at night so if he wanted to he could come inside to get out of the weather. It's a common entrance, so I wasn't trying to heat the outside by doing so! Now that I know he does this I will have to try to keep the door open for him, unless we get a blizzard - I don't need a foot or more of blown snow on the floor!

Took some pictures and will attach one to show what my little creek looked like this afternoon, truly spectacular! Of course the added weight of wet snow on the trees didn't help the situation with braking and falling branches, but we are to get into the low 50's tomorrow and Monday and that will at least clear the trees. Unfortunately it will also fill my creek back up again (it has dropped about 3 feet- the bank looks very unstable too); I'm not too happy about that part.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the image!

Rebecca

PS This view is upstream, where the banks aren't as steep.
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

That is beautiful! A truly picture perfect postcard that would make.

The creek is not frozen? So, that is all fresh, new snow.

How gorgeous!!! Snow doesn't look nearly as cold as the ice covered branches do or is that just because I don't know any better?

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

this is a shot looking east . the left side of the highway is a soybean field.way out in the distance water is 20 ft deep on both sides of the road..
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by shepp; 01-08-2005 at 04:05 PM.

this is a shot looking south west at a boat ramp.
    the little spot in the middle of the pic is the top of a light pole at the waters edge of a parking lot when things are normal.
    across the lake is a marina , it is way under water.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by shepp; 01-08-2005 at 04:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast