+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chance of Flooding again

Chance of Flooding again

15 counties are under a flood warning in ohio.
    right now my county isnt.
    rain gauge has an 1 and 3/10ths inches in it now,with more untill 2 am. snow melt off is complicating northern ohio streams and rivers. you cant take a step without the water and mud squishing.
    freezing rain in the forcast for wednesday nite .yucky.
    i swear i saw the Aflac duck today hanging around the bird feeders.

Shepp,
    Hope you don't get alot of ice on those trees with that wet ground,they'll be falling everywhere.For those who have never been thru a ice storm you can't believe the damage that can occur.When those limbs break it sounds like a gun shooting ,ka -wamm.Good luck.
    Thanks,
    William B.Z-6

Blog Entries
    Yes William. It's a pop, snap and crackle ! And I've been listening to it for 2 hours. I have 160 40-50 foot tall Chinese Elm trees and they are encased in ice and it is raining. Everytime we hear a snap,whoosh, we run outside to see what fell and how big it was. I just came back from my neighbor's yard--he's sometimes a pain. He isn't home yet, but I knew a branch fell in his yard. I went over(looking up the whole time watching for branches after hearing a snap) and saw the branch--a clean break lying just propped against his wood fence. My plan was to move it. I tried the gate but the latch was frozen. Went back inside and brought over the tea kettle and poured it on the latch. It worked and I was in, but the branch was too haevy with all that ice for me to move it. Then I saw another bracnch lying partially on his storage shed--no damage. But then I went back in and got the camera for some CYA photos !
    I have 3 pix of the trees in my yard that I'll post later tonite showing the beauty and impending danger of ice covered trees.
    Just heard another snap snap whoosh whoosh...gotta check !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

i had 1 and 7/10ths in the rain gauge, more rain is moving in now.
    it was supposed to stay north but by the radar its gonna be a direct soaking.
    calling for an additional of 1 to 2 .
    i hope no ice.
    interstate 70 is closed due to flooding near buckeye lake .or 20 miles east of columbus ohio.

Blog Entries
    Since I posted the snaps and crashes have been occuring rapidly. I go out and try to move the branches but they are so heavy. Hubby and I tried to move some blocking the driveway and the next thing I knew I was on my derriere looking up at the sky--I had fallen bassackwards between the branches. I wasn't hurt and had a good laugh. The rain makes it even worse--everytime we go out we are already wet. Photos later.

Brrrrr!

That makes me shiver to think about it! I don't think I have ever seen an ice storm where branches break.

It's hard to imagine that you are having cold weather. We are having really warm weather. Upper 70's everyday, and I think I saw that it was going to be 80 this weekend. Lows in the mid to upper 50's.

What a difference from that really cold spell we have on Christmas Eve that killed everything to the ground.

It is forecasted to be like this for the next 10 days. It would be nice to have this weather until spring, but I know that it will not last.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Lost power for 3 hours last night. It was eery sitting in candlelight listening to the cracks and crashes and also the dragging sound of ice laden branches across the roof. Gathered every blanket and quilt we could find and climbed into bed; as luck would have it about 20 minutes later the lights came on--Yay ! Forget the lights--the heat was back--double Yay ! The first thing I said was Thank you KG&E ! (Kansas Gas and Electric). Our Kansas Shepps were on the job. Still 56K in Wichita without electricity. Called the insurance companyand the tree cutter. Our insurance rep came out personally, not as an adjuster, but just because he couldn't imagine how we could have so many big trees. I think he found out. He had told us to take pix but he did as well. The only cleanup they might cover is if the branches were involved in damaging the house(like that's easy to prove). We didn't expect coverage for cleanup anyway just roof/gutter issues. Had a tough time backing out of the driveway and we later had to cut some precariously hanging branches so they wouldn't fall onthe cars when backing out--have only half of a 2 car driveway to navigate. Didn't have time to get to the digital pix but will in the coming days. It's 18 degrees with wind chill of minus 2. And Sunday it's supposed to be 54 !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 01-05-2005 at 03:48 PM.

Cathy,

All of what you describe is so unreal to me, just as I suppose no one can really know about hurricanes unless you have been through at least one.

I can't wait to see the pics, so please do take and post some for us.

I have watched numerous movies with snow blizzards in them, and I can't help but think that they are so much more dangerous than a hurricane is... You see, we have a warning, and those who are threatened by water surges have time to get out. That doesn't mean that their house won't be destroyed, it simply means they have time to save their lives.

Yep, there are tornadoes, tons of them, that are spawned by hurricanes, but those are short lived. Thank goodness!

But, my goodness! We can survive the heat with no power for weeks on end, but how would one survive freezing weather without electricity?

Keep us posted as to how you are doing!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

dazed ----- leave those branches be untill it gets daylight.
    there could be powerlines down in that mess. its not worth it.
    one of the girls at work, mom died doing that very same thing.
    moving branches in the dark...
    leave em be. telll your neighbor to mind his biz. a branch off of your tree landing in his yard is his problem...

Rain gauge has 1.8 inches of rain today when i got home. thats 3.5 in 3 days.still more coming down.
    no ice its staying north of me. flooding is getting as serious as last year again. those poor people some just got back in there homes only to be run out again. enuf is enuf !!!

4 day total is now at 5 inches.
    i saw sandbagging at some houses .many many others in water and under water.
    what a mess. a local dam on the major river was level full .i had never ever seen it do that. more than 20 feet deep at the dam.
    south of that or down river the town is under water.
    the interstate is closed again.
    ice storm is a mess 45 minutes north of me.
    2005 isnt off to a very good start is it.

Blog Entries
    WEATHER!

Well it has certainly be strange this season, and it's only January!

We had days and days of rain which also melted the 8-inches of snow we had. Little Prairie Creel is about half way up it's bank and they are very steep banks The rising water has to be a good 10-feet deep and this little creek is never more than 2-feet in the pools and gets nearly dry some summers.

I took the back streets when I went to feed the kitties today and the one older neighborhood I drove through was a wreck! All of those old trees with downed branches, even a stately old White Pine looked as if a giant apple corer had been used on it, striped all the bigger, older branches right off of it. It will probably have to come down completely now. At another place the entire tree had been toppled over (a Maple if I recall). Oddly it came off right at the soil line and no roots came with it. This tree had to have been in trouble long before Mother Nature did her pruning.

Another somewhat odd site was to see all of the towering Oak trees standing with very little or no damage at all, yet the one Maple tree at the edge of this "grove" lost the entire secondary trunk. Split that sucker right off and took a good 8 to 10 feet of the side of the tree with it.

One really interesting tree I saw several of were Birches, a few twigs broken, but no branches, they just laid down. Must be very flexible trees as I did not see one that had broken.

I took pictures while I was out, but only pretty sights. I'll get them loaded up to their own album later. Will upload the photo of my neighbor's Paper White Birch clump at the end of this.

Will also post a pix of the new "cat house" on the Wal-Mart Kitties thread.

No major power outages here, some of the older neighborhoods were without power for awhile, but most are back on-line now. There has been some flooding of low lying areas about town, but even that has been minimal. Not so for cities and towns South of me where they got the brunt of this storm. I heard a news report that 16 vehicles had to be rescued from one particular road in Indianapolis this morning. Makes you wonder how stupid people can be! Some even moved the barricades from what I have heard. Really stupid people~!

All for now!
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

The weather here in West Mich. has returned to 'normal'. Which means the warm (high 40's) have taken a dive south, and the snow has returned. Received 5" or so overnite, but didn't get it all day long yesterday, like we were supposed to, or we'd have 2 ft. or so! The temps are in the low 20's and not so windy as it was a few days ago.

You all stay safe and warm! Dazed lily you listen to Shepp, and don't try touching those branches especially in the dark!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Shepp,

That is so unreal to me that you are flooding with that amount of rain. If you look back in the posts, you will see days that I complained about flooding rains with 4-5" in one hour. That's in one day, all at one time, and it really downpours.

Honest to goodness, I think you all would drown with the types of rains that we get down here. But I realize that we are one of the rainiest cities in the US, and I won't complain too much because it has been dry as of late.

Obviously, I do understand the problems of flooding and the damage it causes. I hope everyone will be safe, and your homes wll not suffer.

I have witnessed too many homes flooded after a hurricane with surge waters that brought the water 5-6 feet into a home that is already 4-5 feet above ground. It is nasty, and it devastating to have so much destroyed in a short amount of time.

Please stay safe, and do not drive through those flooded areas. I have seen too many videos of cars swept away by flooding rains. Lives have been lost because they didn't realize how deep the water really was or how strong the force of moving water can be.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rebecca,

Your picture tells it all...

Wow! This is a pic that I never see here, and I don't think I ever will. You never know, though... Strange things happen!

I look forward to pics of the kittens and their headquarters!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

with the rain we had before christmas and the little snow, the ground can not absorb any more water. thats just my county.
    we have been completely saturated since 12-23-04
    now put that ice storm on top of that. snow on top of that 8 inches worth,
    top that off with 5
    inches of rain over 4 days across 8 or more
    counties. drain all of that land into one river.

i think you can do the math now that you know the equation. answer = flood.

freezing weather tonite.
    back in the 60's next week.
    Last edited by shepp; 01-06-2005 at 07:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast