+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aquilegia

Aquilegia

Here's a not very good picture of some of the columbine (Aquilegia) that I grew from seed.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Here's another one that readily self-seeds for me. I just love this dianthus.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Columbine seeds

Is there some way to sart them indoors that would still accomplish the following planting directions ? And can they really grow in dry conditions ?

When to Sow Outside: Early Spring - 3 to 4 weeks before last frost is best.

Seed Depth: Surface (requires light to germinate)

Seed Spacing: 1"

Days to Emerge: 21 - 25

DRY SEED DOES BEST WITH 3-4 WEEKS OF COLD, MOIST STRATIFICATION.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,
    I've only done the winter sowing. So don't know about growing inside under lights. Maybe in one of those little greenhouses in the fridge would give you your 'cold', moist requirements.
    Why not try winter sowing them? It's easy. take a deli container like you get cookies or donuts in, poke holes in bottom, and top, put about 2" soil in it. Moisten (not sopping wet), sprinkle seeds, put the top on, and set outside in a protected spot. When spring comes, and they have 2 sets of true leaves, prick out and pot up.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Sounds interesting...You mean the cardboard boxes with cardboard top and bottom ? Or the kind with the clear cellophane window in the top ?
    Also, Protected spot that gets cold, right ? Cause I have the south wall of my house lined with plants needing additional warmth, so if I'm stratifying I doubt that's the spot, huh ?(prob the front of the house facing north)?

Sorry, now I've got the giggles. I was just thinking of how my sideyard looks like a plastic pot warehouse and now I can just visualize donut boxes under my front window and hear hubby saying,"why have you got Krispy Kreme boxes laying in front of the house" ? It is something I would do !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 01-09-2005 at 06:40 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,
    The deli containers I'm referring to is the plastic kind. With top and bottom, cookies, donuts, sometimes chicken, etc. The cardboard ones wouldn't hold up. Protected spot means so that if you get lots of rain, it won't get flooded. No additional warmth needed. Any other questions, just holler or as the case may be post.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

I have Columbine seedlings coming up in a few of my potteed plants that were summered outdoors!

All they really need is a few weeks of cold treatment and they should sprout for you, indoors, under lights.

Mix the seeds with very fine sand and, using a salt shaker, sprinkle them over pots of moistened potting mix, cover with a pane of glass and wait. Being prennials, they'll grow the first year and some will start to bloom the following season. My better plants have almost always been self sown, and not necessarily where the plant was growing. I've a bad habit of droping seeds everywhere when I dead head! I had a lot of seedlings show up in potted daylilies this summer and in the new seedling bed. Some of the ones in the seedling bed were moved so all the babies would have room to grow and grow they did. The biggest should bloom come Spring!

I'll sow some seeds in April when I can get out to start working in the daylilies and by early summer I should be able to move quite a few of them to other areas or into pots.

Now if I could just get the Hosta seeds to sprout!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Vicki,
    I wonder how the styrofoam deli containers would work.Thats what I thought you were talking about the other day on an earlier post.Do you use the soil less mix?Do you order your seeds or pick them up at wally world and/or where ever?
    thanks,
    William B.Z-6

William,
    As I stated earlier, the hard clear plastic ones. Like little mini greenhouses. I swapped for a lot of different seeds, and also bought some at wally world, & meijer's. I used seed starting mix last year, and still have a bag left that'll I'll use this year. If you need some seeds, I have quite a few that I'd love to share with you. If you want send me your address.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,
    Thanks for the offer.Let me try my luck at it first with a couple of seed packs from wal-mart.Then maybe I'II take you up on your offer next year.
    Thanks again,
    William B.Z-6

+ Reply to Thread