+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vesper Iris Seeds

Vesper Iris (Pardanthosis) Seeds

Rebecca, I haven't forgotten that you want some of these....

I sowed some in 4" pots. Actually, I put 4 seeds in each pot. Then I put the pots in gallon ziplocks, and they are now under fluorescent lights.

I searched, but couldn't find much information on them. One site indicated that they require alternating freezes and thaws, but if that is the case, I don't know how I managed to get this one. Soil (even the mix) does not freeze here and I know that I started the prior one under the fluorescents.

So, I am trying that first. We will see. If they don't germinate in the next month, I will put them outside to be in cooler conditions for a month.

I say 'cooler', but it is currently over 70 degrees outside.

Wish me luck!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

If you had the seeds stored in the fridge, they may not need additional cold treatment or stratification. If they don't sprout, instead of putting them outside, pop them into your freezer for a couple of days and then into the fridge for about a week, that ought to be enough. Hey they are in plastic bags, right?

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I have two little Vesper Iris seedlings. I will watch to see how many more sprout in the next week or two!

Whooo! This is so much FUN! I miss growing plants from seed...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Two more have sprouted...

That's 4 out of 8!

Not bad, but I hope that all 8 will sprout without having to refrigerate them.

We will see.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

First Four

This is a picture of the first four. They all sprouted without stratification. These have been removed from the fluorescent lights and relocated to the patio to harden off before planting them in slightly larger containers.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Congrats on the four! You know, I don't know that I would be too quick to move them on. They are so tiny still. I might move the biggest one, but I really don't think I would want to disturb the smaller ones. If you can, consider scooping them out, without disturbing the tiny roots, and setting them in a larger, yet shallow container.

I'm afraid I would be more inclined to leave them be until they were all about the same size and had two or three leaves and bigger root systems.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I considered that problem, and I guess I will have to think about it some more. I would like to put the smallest two back under the lights, but I also would like to start some more. I run out of light space too quickly.

The tallest one is about 7 inches, so I can't keep it under lights anymore. I would have to raise the lights, and there are too many other things that aren't ready for that yet.

The smallest one is 1.5 inches.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    The tallest one is that tall!? Wow, it doesn't look that big! The little one definitely needs more time under the lights, or at least where it is warm and not subject to rapid night cooling. If it were later in the season, I'd be more apt to put them all outside, but . . . .

It may be easier to remove the little ones first and pot them back in the original pot with only having to refill half the pot. You have them right in front of you and can better gage what they will or will not take. It's a shame you don't have more space under your lights.

I was lifting pine straw on several pots that were left on the patio and saw where another of my Iris seeds is sprouting! Gives me all of two seeds to sprout out of at least a half dozen I had planted. Squirrel got to most of them and I don't even know if the seeds are still in the pots. Guess I'll know more in another few weeks when everything starts to grow. Next project will be to get some more of the Siberian Iris seeds going and perhaps a few Trumpet lilt seeds as well.

Hope you are able to pollinate the Vesper Iris again this season, sure would like to try a few of them myself.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

There Are More!!

Rebecca,

I couldn't get the tallest in the photo and still see the little one. LAS!!!

Not to worry!!! There are more of these seeds that I would like to get started. They have done so well under the fluorescents, so that is the way I will start more ASAP. I hope to have a little bed of these where I can harvest lots and lots of seeds.

I think that I read somewhere that the mother plants are short lived. A second one had formed, but both went dormant after Ivan, so I don't know if they will come back.

I'm trying to save some seed for you, but it will be spring before I try to ship them.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

P.S. Don't forget that it is getting warmer here. Highs in lower 70's and lows in upper 50's with some variation expected. I'll keep my eye out for those variations.

The patio is even warmer, so unless we get a frost, all should be okay. No frost is expected for the next 10 days, but I'll watch closely. That tends to change quickly.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The seedlings are doing fine with more growing. I brought the original ones and put them back under the lights. The outer leaves on the taller one are somewhat whimpy. I actually have them in between two fluorescents so that the tall one doesn't hit the lights.

But, guess what? I was taking plants outside today to start hardening them off, and I found the mother plant. After Ivan, there was no foliage, so I thought I lost the mother and her daughter. I see green poking up through the soil.

Mother is definitely alive and has completed her rest. I know it is her even though the marker was lost. You see, I used a decorative metal stake to pin the pot firmly to the ground so that high winds would not knock it over. That stake will adorn wherever she is from now on... I will etch "Mother Vesper" on the copper tag.

Daughter plant is still firm, so I believe she will start to sprout soon. I plan to repot them to a 3 gallon pot tomorrow. They are now in a one gallon pot, and I want to make more room for them to multiply. I won't take the chance of dividing them because I don't know if these seeds will come true.

The roots are more like the candy lily roots, just a little bigger and not like a regular iris.

I sure wish I could find more information on this jewel!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread