+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sedum

Sedum

After seeds (mostly annuals), my second love for plants was succulents. I grew some from seeds, and I still have this huge one in the greenhouse that has seen better days. It is the thorny, tall cactus type.

I grew some in 4 inch pots and they were in a tray that I forgot to move into the garage for the winter. They must have frozen because when I discovered them, they were a spherical shell of thorns. I picked the tray up to discard the dead plants, and one of the thorns went straight into the tip of my middle finger. It broke off inside the finger.

It hurt for the next couple of weeks until it came out on its own (infected), and since Hunter was around then, I vowed not to try that kind of succulent again.

It was about that time that I had discovered Sedum, not the groundcover type, but Sedum 'Autumn Joy' and 'Frosty Morn'.

They truly do grow easily from leaves, but not that quickly. Frosty Morn is apparently a chimera because it loses its frost, not only when propagated but when it multiplies on its own.

Today, I dug up several privets that had managed to lodge inside two separate sedums. One sedum was 'Autumn Joy', and when I dug up the privet, up came the Autumn Joy. To my amazement, there were all the little sedums growing from this huge bulb like structure. There were actually two privets and both had their roots intertwined amongst the roots of the sedum.

I managed to pull them apart without harming the sedums.

These are not easy to grow here. I don't know if it is because of mild winters with intermittent freezes or because of all the rain. Or could it be that our soil is just too acidic for them?

I have found that they do best if I plant them near the cement slab of my home or in pots.

I know one thing for sure is that I am always thrilled to see them come back every spring. Does anyone know why they say they do not do well here?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    I share your interest in Stonecrop, and have tried in vain to grow it here also. There are a few factors to consider that I have learned and/or observed.

First, according to all I can find, they do not mind acid soil, but rather enjoy it.
    Second, they cannot tolerate wet feet. They must have well draining soil, and can do well with periods of dry better than periods of wet. We need to raise their beds.
    Third, they need lots of sun light.
    Fourth, my observations have been that they do much better with a colder winter than we usually have here. But they will do fairly well if the other conditions are met.
    They do not need a lot of fertilizer.

I'll be moving mine later this spring, once they come up so I can find them.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Ann,
    I agree with Tom, they cannot and will not tolerate wet feet. Mine are planted in sandy soil and they seem to like it just fine without any additional watering. Although Autumn Joy seems to not mind part sun here for me, the color actually lasts longer in the ones that get less than full sun.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread