+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter Watering

Blog Entries

Winter Watering

I have heard/read that one should always remember to water in the winter. We haven't had snow and I can't remember when it rained last-more than a month ago-maybe more. The extended forecast is for high 50's and the lows above freezing. I'm thinking of watering likecrazy tomorrow. Let me clarify--not soak everything but make sure everything gets a drink of water.
    Does this seem feasible or am I missing a finer point here ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Are we talking about potted plants, new plantings, liners or established landscape materiel?

I went around today and poked my finger down in several representative pots to see if they were moist and/or frozen. All seemed OK, so I didn't bother to fire up the well pump.
    If the soil is frozen, you will have difficulty getting water in there. But it is important to have them well watered before they freeze.
    On warm days I try and check a few just to make sure they are not being stressed from lack of water. but we usually get lots of moisture during the winter.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    I didn't have the 'read my mind feature' switched on did I ? LOL !
    That would be all plants in the ground. I figure if I water now and we have several non-freezing days afterwards that I shouldn't be doing any damage.

OH, I'm sure you did have the "read my mind' feature on at the time, it's just that I'm the one who didn't have it on here.

All of the potted plants I have here are tolerant of the cold we get, and therefore stay outside all winter. The only things I bring inside, into the unheated garage, are those little liners that are still in cell packs. I figure their roots, being in separate little cells are too apt to freeze. It is those, and the other 1 and 2-year-old propagations that I get concerned about on the watering.

Normally we have a fairly wet winter, and there is little concern for those established plants in the landscape. Those that are dormant have pretty near stopped transpiration, and the evergreen ones have slowed quite a bit.

One of the plants that I like to grow is the Chinese Snowball, (Viburnum Macrocephalum) which blooms in early spring. It sets buds in the same sort of way as dogwood or azalea in the late summer. But nearly every year, a few of the buds can't wait for spring and go ahead and bloom in the fall. This year, because we got such a late start on winter, most of the buds went ahead and bloomed. Now, next spring, there will be very little 'big show' on them.
    We even had a period of some bloom on our azaleas this year for the same reason, and the Loripetilum were still putting out new growth, with a few flowers, up until 2 weeks ago.
    Last edited by Tom; 12-28-2004 at 09:42 AM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    I watered on Tuesday, got lazy Wednesday and guess what--even though it was not predicted--it rained ! I figure I'll leave the watering at that. It never fails...even in Winter...water and it will rain !
    Your viburnum made me think of my hydrangea. I honestly can't tell if they are alive; their buds look less than the green they were in fall. And it appears something has enjoyed stripping their branches here and there. I sure hope they survive.

+ Reply to Thread