+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wal-mart Kitties

Blog Entries
    Getting this back on topic, I was able to get a few pictures of the boys today, even though they weren't very cooperative. There was a couple walking their two dogs over in the field and the boys weren't too happy about it. Getting them all to come and eat was a real chore as they really don't feel secure with strangers around and add two dogs to the mix and they were all a bit nervous. Scooter was even more shy than normal! Hope you enjoy the photos!

The first one is my buddy 'Muffin Man', who even alled me to pet him this evening! He immediately begins to purr when he does allow me to touch him so I know he likes it!
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Next we have 'Mr. Boots'. If you'll recall, he spent some time in my back yard this winter. He has settled back in to the routine of colony life and is becoming quite a handsome cat.
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This is 'Cinnamon', he 's a little distracted keeping an eye on the dogs and people in his territory!
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This is shy kitty 'Scooter', I used to call 'Sissy', but since I don't know for sure what gender he is I figured I had better give him a less gender-specific name.

The dogs and people had finally left and he felt it was safe to come out of hiding and was headed to the shelter to eat.
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    And this is 'Manny', formerly known as 'Momma Kat' (kinda hard to be a momma when you're a boy! Oops!)

Manny is more or less the top cat in the colony, with Muffin being his right-paw cat. They are generally seen together and are always the first ones to the food! Manny is a few months older than the others and I have no idea where he came from. He showed up way back in the late fall when the kittens made their way back to the old shelter afte their momma took them away.

Manny is very aloof and has yet to trust me enough to allow me to touch him, but that's okay, he knows he is loved just the way he is.
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Group shot of Cinnamon, Boots and Scooter:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Here's a "full" shot of Muffin Man showing Manny standing guard at the back door to the shelter, and waiting for me to get out of his way so he can go eat!

Hope y'all have enjoyed seeing the ferals; I hope to be able to get better images of them throughout the summer as they become more habituated to me and the camera.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they could all find nice homes with HUMAN pets to love?

How marvelous of you to take such good care of these kittens. They all look like they are becoming quite tame. Maybe, someone will want them and take them in...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Yes it would be nice, unfortunately, looks can be deceiving. The only really friendly one of the group is Muffin Man and then it's only if he feels like being sociable! And a lot of that depends on how hungry he is and how good the food smells any given day!

They will only allow them selves to be seen by other people if I am with them and even then they are quick to hide if someone moves too close or too quickly. They are somewhat habituated to a few of the other Associates and will stay out sunning as long as they don't get too close or try to get too friendly with them.

We're going to try to trap Scooter In a couple of weeks and get him neutered and vetted, then the colony will all be rendered incapable of reproducing. And there are still two traveling toms that come in for a good feed once in a while. With our weather turning cold the next few days they will probably both be showing up for the free grub. They may be wild, but they sure aren't stupid! They know where to come when they get hungry and the pickins are slim or hunting isn't successful.

They may live on Wal-Mart property, but as their caregiver I've actually taken ownership of them and I dare anyone to mess with "my boys"! LAS!

The kitties and I are all very fortunate to have a Store Manager who is willing to allow them to remain there and to allow me to care for them. I don't know what the situation will be once we move into the new super center and the new owners take possession of the property. I can only hope that they are willing to allow the kitties to remain and me to continue to care for them (and have unrestricted access to them) It will be a huge problem if Xandra and I have to try to move and relocate them. Feral colonies do not take well to being relocated and often end up getting killed trying to find their way back to (what they consider) their territory. When the time is right I will ask to be put in contact with the new owners and see if we can come to an agreement.

Rebecca

PS,

Ann, you never have said anything about what else was in that package I sent you a few weeks ago. You did open it, didn't you?

Just me, scratching my head and wondering.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ah, Rebecca!

Excuse my absent mindedness, please!!!!

The trumpet lily seeds! Of course! What a treat! And I hope that I can manage to germinate them. I will sow them this weekend if all goes well.

Bummer on the freeze...

I have been so grateful this year to be spared a late freeze, and I know how painful they are. I had truly hoped that all of you would be so lucky. Late freezes are melting pots. Blooms melt... New grows shrivels up and turns brown. Fruit drops...

Oh! What a bummer! I feel so fortunate. Now, I am searching for time to get it all done.

What are your recommendations for the trumpet lily seeds? These will be my first trumpet lilies.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Please check the Lilium category and the thread How I Grow Lilium from Seed. Hope it helps.
    Cathy
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 04-23-2005 at 08:15 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Actually I had something considerably larger than seeds that was also in the envelop! Did you open the CD? That wasn't just "packing material"!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, Rebecca!

First you get me hooked on daylilies. Now, you get both Hunter and me hooked on screensavers. Yep! We have been having fun on both my computer and Hunter's!

BTW, my screen is a 17" flat screen. The pics show up as four, but you can't hardly tell that with most of yours! What program did you say that you use to create the effects?

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

MAY UP-DATE

Trapped 'Scooter' (aka: 'Sissy') and got her off to Spay Day over the weekend. After the fiasco with Bootsy, I changed her name to one that wasn't gender-specific, as it turns out, I was right about this one being a female. That's how things work, I guess. Xandra returned and released her on Monday afternoon, unfortunately I wasn't able to be there at that time.

When I did finally get to the colony Scooter was the first one to come out for food, guess she was really hungry, although I know Xandra fed her. She is doing very well and not complications. And she wasn't pregnant, so everything went very smoothly. The boys did a good job of keeping her safe and protected; Bootsy tends to hang with her. Cinnamon is hanging out with Muffin more and more and getting braver. Really lets me know when I'm a little late withthe food that he is hungry! Almost as bad as Muffin!

Manny is still very aloof, that's just the way he is. He will come to eat when called even if he is out inthe field mousing.

Mr. Muffin Man has become very bold the last few days. Rubs against my leg and begs for hand-outs when I bring the food. The other day I went back to check on them on my rest break and he very graciously allowed me to pet him, repeatedly. It was a regular love-fest! Golly but he has a loud "motor". He even had to have a couple of head pats later in the day when it was time to eat. He was equally affectionate today; I guess he's finally decided I'm okay!

The buff yellow tom was around again this evening, I spotted him on the other side of what was the marsh and it looked like he was favoring his left paw. I encouraged him to come and get something to eat and to my surprise, he did, but I had to drop back away quite a bit. He was eatting and then I moved a little too close and he went down into the marsh and laid down. Someone must have come out of one of the apartments though because all of a sudden he took off for the high grass and bushes and I could see that he was watching something in the area of the apartments. I'm certain he returned later to eat. He did get close enough for me to check out his paw, it wasn't swollen so he probably picked up a burr or bruised the pads somehow. He will probably be the next one we try to trap and neuter. I haven't seen the big black tom in quite awhile.

That's all folks!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Hi Rebecca,

I just found this post and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about what you are doing. I volunteer with Alley Animals, a rescue in Baltimore, where we drive the alleys of the city at night and feed and rescue stray cats and dogs. We don't do trap and release, but use no kill shelters. It's quite a challenge and my hat is off to you. City cats have a whole different set of obstacles and problems to deal with, most especially cruel people, roaming dogs, rats often as big as they are and cars. We find the cats much easier to catch then the dogs. I'm more a dog person and it breaks my heart not to be able to catch some of them that are obviously suffering.

Many hugs to you!
    Newt
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast