+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wal-mart Kitties

Blog Entries
    We're going to have to call you Rebecca 'McGuyver'! (You do remember that show don't you, where McGuyver could do anything with next to nothing !)
    That setup looks great and so do those kitties. I'm sure they know you are doing all that for them. That should help 'tame' them some.
    Thanks for the pix !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Speaking of taming, I think Momma Kat was someone's pet at one time, that or she must really trust me! She is most often waiting for me to deliver the day's rations and as soon as I get the food pan put in the shelter she is on her way. She does wait for me to put the "screening" back in place, but as soon as the first one is up she's in the shelter chowing' down! Muffin soon follows and then Cinnamon. I have yet to see Sissy enter the shelter, although I have "caught" her resting inside a couple of times.

Muffin was not present at feeding time today, so he was either off sleeping somewhere, or hunting. There hasn't been a lot of activity the last couple of days except what they are used to, so everyone's been nice and calm. Even Sissy has stayed put while I tell her to go eat. Her expression has been a lot more calm as well, no wild-eyed looks lately!

TNR will run us $20 per animal and for all the medical attention outside of the spay/neuter operations that is quite the bargain! The President of INDY FERAL will be coming up to meet my Boss, the kitties and myself, hopefully on Friday. Wish I could get their barrel cleaned out and filled with new straw before the visit, but since we don't have any at the store, that isn't going to happen. I might have to splurge for a bale of wood shavings and put that in there, sans the "barrel" for now. (Hate to put the barrel back before I can get it cleaned and dry. . . maybe I'll get a chance to do that in the morning before work.

Boots is doing very well, especially since the neighbor's dog has been leaving him alone. Guess my little talk to the dog did some good as I haven't seen her in my yard since, and there have not been any signs that Boot's cat house has been bothered.

That's this week's up-date!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, Rebecca!

Thank you so much for the pictures. They are beautiful cats.

I have an idea for a toy for them. They are not very expensive to make.

Actually, Hunter bought toys for our cats for Christmas from the Dollar Tree. This is how they work. The top attaches to the upper frame of a door. It is simply a plasitic coated wire about the thickness of coat hanger and bent so that you spring it open then let it shut above the molding. There are tiny rubberized ends that keep the wire from punturing the sheet rock.

Attached to that is a standard black elastic 'thread'. To the the elastic is attached a fuzzy, fluffy bird or something. They didn't care for the critter as it quickly broke off the elastic.

But Hunter improvised. He replaced them with a broken wheel from a cheap old car toy.

These cats play and play and play with it. The end that is attached to the toy is about 40" or so above floor level. They swat at it and catch it, only to have it escape and fly up into the air. They jump and try to catch it again. The more they try, the more the 'toy' teases them.

I have never seen them so enticed with a toy! Well, except for bent pipe cleaners. Simba adores them...

You are a good person, and I hope your adopted cats find good permanent homes!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    You know, I have never seen these wildlings play! Muffin and Cinnamon exchanged a couple of swats when I was there feeding them a few days ago, but that's the closest I've even seen them to actually playing.

I have not doubts that they did play a lot as small kittens and that they still do engage in mock fights now, they just don't do so when there is an audience!

Sissy and Cinnamon were strangely absent today, but Muffin was there and not only ready to eat to to indulge in some lovin"! In this respect he behaves just like a "domestic" kitten of the same age, bumping into your hand and arching his back into the hand and, more or less, petting back. Oh, yeah, and purring like a motor boat!

Today was a late feeding day since I didn't go in until late and it surprised me the other two weren't waiting on me. Of course, it could have been because they didn't hear me coming. I had to walk in as I blew a tire on my way around to the back of the building. I hit the curb because I was too busy looking to see if anyone had ventured down toward the dumpster behind the Chinese Restaurant. Not only blew the side wall out of the tire, but bent the rim all to heck and back. I was not a happy camper. Fortunately once I got back inside and called the tire store (where I also bought the set of four new tires just a year ago) the situation improved, immensely. They happened to have a rim that would work and business was slow enough that they were able to send one of the guys over to take the damaged tire off, return to the tire store, pick up the new one and bring it back and install it. The only charge was for the new tire! I've been singing Big-O Tires' praises all evening! And thanking God as well, though not in that order!

Scares me to even think about how bad it could have been if I hadn't bought the original four tires from Big-O to begin with. Of course, it was still an expense I was not prepared to take on, so it looks like my much needed eyeglasses may end up being put off yet another year. I hope it doesn't come to that, but with the reduction in hours lasting longer than normal and all the "extra" money coming out of my check. . . well, it isn't looking really good right now.

I have food for all of the kitties and transportation and those are the main things I worry about these days. Being able to take care of the kitties is the most important thing, so as long as I can do that, everything else seems to be able to take care of itself.

Ann, I had a toy similar to the one you described for Pippin when he was younger; his had a "mouse" on the end and he would go completely bonkers playing with it. He's always manage to get himself wrapped up in it though so I couldn't leave it where he could get it when I was at work. It still hangs in the doorway, sans the mouse, but Baby will swat at the elastic once in a while, and she has to jump up to do that. Then she'll tear through the house like she was a kitten, chases her tail like a dog and then collapses! If I say anything to her she acts like she doesn't know what I'm talking about! "Wasn't me, you must be hallucinating!" You know how cats can be! Baby is 11-12 years old. This new kitten is going to be interesting and I can already see the dirty looks she'll be giving me! LOL!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

UP-DATE. . UP-DATE. . .UP-DATE

The first trapping will be onthe 19th. Going for Momma Kat and the young 'uns and possibly Bootsy, so he can go back to live with the rest of his family.

They have all decided they like sleeping in their new shelter!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Rebecca- What will happen to the cats after capture ?
    You know I thought of you last Friday when an e-mail came into my work in-basket . It was from a co-worker and was sent to all employees(they usually indicate non-business in the subject line so people can filter them out if they want). Anyway it was Non Business: Kitten. And read, “I have a very friendly and cute long-haired kitten in my car, approximately 3 mos. old (?)..will be taking it to the Humane Society this morning, unless someone would like to give it a reprieve. ..showed up at my door a couple of days ago... already have more cats than I need.. send me an email if you'd like to check it out " Well, I immediately thought of another co-worker who is also named Rebecca ! She always takes in strays and is involved in Humane Society fund raising. I sent her an e-mail saying, ’”Back away from the keyboard !” She wrote back saying it was too late she already replied that she would take it ! Her DH came to work and picked it up and took it home. She says the kitty is darling and wants to cuddle with everyone including the dogs. She also has a cat that simply walked in through her cat door during the ice storm and just stayed-LOL! But it’s so funny how you ‘Rebecca’s’ are so similar! Very vibrant personalities ! I've yet to meet a Rebecca who is a shrinking violet !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 03-10-2005 at 10:51 AM.

My Rebecca

My Rebecca also would 'adopt' any feline that would happen along! (If I let her!) But I've learned my lesson with too many felines here. Would love to be able to house some that cannot reproduce, but the funds at my house are extremely limited and must go to feed the 'brood' I have. Every once in awhile some agency might offer reduced spaying and neutering, but not very often.
    Good luck Rebecca, you wonderful kind hearted person!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    All,

Not to worry about the kitties! Shortly after capture my coordinator will take them to her place for the night (she has a heated garage!) and then to the Vet the next morning where they will all have complete check-ups, be tested for feline leukemia. The will receive the usual inoculations as well as a 3 year anti-rabies vaccination. They will be checked for fleas and ticks (shouldn't be any ticks this time of year) and they will be treated with "Advantage" . Then they will all be spayed or neutered. The clinic generally has the coordinator pink them up that evening, Xandra told me she would keep them overnight for observation and weather permitting, they will come back to their home late Monday afternoon (barring any complications with any of them) and be released. I'll put out dry food only for a couple of days after that as they probably won't feel much like eating , if they even return to their shelter their first couple of nights home. Once they are back into their routine they should calm down a lot more than they already are and be a bit more approachable. Once they begin showing up on a regular basis for food I'll get them back to their usual diet of canned and dry food, mixed with warm water - at least until the weather gets too hot to put out moist food. Then I'll do something different.

I plan to continue to work with them to see if I can get any of them tamed down enough to be able to handle them. That way I'll be able to administer future applications of 'Advantage" and check them over from time to time for any medical problems that could crop up.

So, you see, everything will be taken care of to insure these guys live out long lives in relative peace and security.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Well, they're home. I was only able to trap four of the five, couldn't convince one of the yellow kittens to go into the Haveahart trap, so it will have to go another time.

Everyone get ready for a laugh. . . they were all boys! Even the one I've been calling Momma Kat! Talk about having an identity crisis, poor baby, here I have been calling it Momma all winter and it's boy! And, according the the vet, he's only about a year old. I was relieved to find out that Miss Bootsy was really Mr. Boots after all, but I am a bit troubled by the relationship he struck up with the young male tom from the neighborhood.

Speaking of Mr. Boots, he's a bit confused about where he is, since he went back to the colony with the others. He does/did act like he remembered the concrete blocks, but I could get him to go anywhere near the new shelter. I expect he will find it though and know to go into it for his food by feeding time tomorrow. For today, I fed him separately.

We had expected them to really take off when we released them today, but they didn't. They went either right to the blocks or over to one of the trailers. "Bubba" (formerly known as Momma Kat) was first at the food dish and needed no convincing at all! Muffin didn't waste any time either, of course it probably helped that I was tossing out bite-sized pieces of cooked beef liver for them! Cinnamon had to be talked into coming to eat, but he finally decided it was a good idea after all!

Xandra, my coordinator thinks that "Sissy" is probably a male too, since (she says) most orange tabbies are males.

One of the things they do is try to estimate the age of each cat, all the sibs were guessed at different ages, but generally between 6 and 8 months old, I think they are closer to 9 to 10 months old.

No one had any fleas, earmites or wounds of any kind; no dental, eye or coat problems and all were, of course, well nourished! And the one thing they all got that I wasn't too keen on was having the tip of their left era removed for identification purposes. So now they all have one pointed ear and one somewhat rounded ear.

They all seemed quite happy to be home and most took advantage of the sunshine we had today to simply lay around and bask in it's warmth.

Next thing I need to do for them is to get their barrel cleaned up and find something "organic" to use for bedding, and do some minor adjustments and repairs on the shelter. I'll also need to powder the bedding down and perhaps use a spray on the interior of the shelter for fleas.

I'm glad they are all back in one place and seemingly content to be there. This will be an interesting summer. Especially when we have to try to trap the last of the litter mates and the two older animals (that I know about), I have a feeling it won't be so easy the next time around!

Rebecca,
    Caretaker of the Homeless,
    Defender of the "Wild Ones"
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

WOW! All males!

That is something else, considering I have 2 fixed males, one fixed female and one unknown (Blue!)

Rebecca, Everytime I see Blue, I think about you! She (I think) is a wonderful outdoor cat and so very loving. She is my garage kitty, and absolutely owns our entire acre.

She greets me every morning and every afternoon. There is no doubt in my heart that she was someone's pet and they let her lose.

Somehow, I never have to worry about her. She seems to appreciate the food, bed and warmth and a little loving care once in awhile. She took ownership of us. We don't own her!

Your a JEWEL!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh Rebecca ! That is sooo funny ! Ditto what Ann said !

Blog Entries
    It's a week since the kitties had their surgeries and were brought back to their "home" and I am happy to say everyone is present and accounted for. Boots has taken his place back within the colony and has discovered where the food is placed. Of the litter-mates, he is the biggest - must have been all the feedings he was getting while I had him here. He wasn't as stand-offish as he usually is, a good sign as far as I'm concerned. I hope to be able to spend more time with them once the weather gets warm and see if I can't tame then all down enough to be able to at least pet them once in a while.

They were all in their little corner of the lot when I got there today, I was a little late than usual in arriving. Manny is still a bit jumpy as is Muffin and though they'll go on in and start eating pretty quick they come out pretty quick when I move the windbreak pallet back into place. Manny is still the first to get back to the food dish though.

Sissy (Scooter or what ever it's name turns out to be) has somehow managed to scrape the fur off of it's back. I haven't been able to see any wounds or sores, so I'm thinking it's just from still trying to crawl into the opening in the stacks of blocks. I am keeping an eye on it though.

It's been a cold wet and rainy day here, not the kind of day to be working outside or hanging around with the kitties, so as soon as everyone made it into the shelter to eat I left them in peace and came back to the house.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    New face in the crowd tonight!

Don't know where this one came from and I have definitely NOT seen it before. It isn't feral, but a very nervous stray. And a pathetic looking stray at that. Somewhere under all the matted down gray and white fur there is a beautiful cat!

This poor animal had mats everywhere, big, ugly ones and small ones, even his tail has mats. He must have been out on his own for several months to look this bad, poor baby.

He was still hanging around tonight after I got off from work, much to Manny's consternation! He'd let me get to about 4 or 5-feet away and then he's run and hide, but not very far. Don't know if he found the food supply or not or even if the others would allow him at their food so I opened a new bag that happened to still be in the car and tossed a few pieces out for him, but he was too frightened to eat; he did the big, bad cat growl and hiss, but didn't really mean it. He's just very frightened, probably because he's been run off by all the other humans he's run into. I found one of the empty cat food tins and left it filled with dry food for him. I'll take an extra pan with me tomorrow and offer him food away from the others.

Manny is definitely the top cat in this little colony! Caught him "scent marking" the stacks of pallets the outsider was hiding in; good thing he's been neutered or it'd be a smelly situation!

Bootsy is getting braver by the day, he even beat Manny to the food pan today! All the others seemed to be hanging back, perhaps due to the stray or the associate who'd been moving a stack of pallets. It doesn't take a lot to put them on their guard.

Happenings Closer to Home:

I'm going to be picking up my Bengal kitten Sunday afternoon! A Silver Spotted Tabby male, just what I wanted. The hard part will be choosing between the two that are available! I am getting him extra early as the mother has stopped nursing, guess all those little needle-like teeth have made her too sore. Arlene says she'll probably resume nursing in a few more days, but in the meantime all the kittens had to have protection against the various kitten illnesses. This dose is only good for two weeks and then I'll have to get my baby to the vet for his first round of shots. He's six weeks old, about the same age Pippin was when I got him. I've been telling Baby about the newcomer, but I don't think she understands and will, no doubt, be a bit miffed with me! She will get over it though! I asked Arlene what brand of food they were currently eating and it's something we carry so I went ahead and picked up a bag.

She also has "Snow Leopard" Bengal babies that will be available in a few more weeks, too bad I can't afford to get two of them, maybe next Spring! It takes the snows nearly two years to get their full coloring and spotting, if at all, but they retain the wonderful blue eyes.

I'm attaching an image of the lighter silver boy, so you a;; can get an idea. The other male is similar in pattern, but darker,

I guess I'll have to start a new thread about the new kitten so I can send y'all up-dates!

Time for sleep now. Later taters!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Look!

Look at those sweet, tender, loving eyes!

Is that the kitten that you are getting? He is precious!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

It is the one I ended up being chosen by! He is very much like Pippin was when I got him, likes his tummy rubbed too.
    We put him in a box for the trip home, but he had other ideas! So to avoid him hurting himself I let him out and held him up so he could see what was going on.

He watched the traffic whiz by for awhile and then tucked himself under my coat and went to sleep. Bonding has begun.

Baby has reacted pretty much as expected, hissing or just avoiding him. She'd rather be outside this time of year, so that's where she is now. I did make her stay in earlier, while the kitten was sleeping in his bed/crate. I think they will be fine in time.

I saw all of the older kittens and most of the cats she has, which is a lot! of cats to have in the house. She's had quite a few come back and is really over-populated.

Arlene wants to give me one of the Snow kittens when it is old enough to leave, which is in about three weeks. I would so love to have one, but have to think about it . I know I will be able to get this Silver neutered when the time comes, but I don't think I could afford to do two of them. I'll talk to Xandra ans see if she thinks I'll be able to send them through the clinic when they are old enough. At least it wouldn't cost me as much.

I'll start a new thread when I get around to taking pictures of my little one. Gotta get him to tell me his name!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast