+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wal-mart Kitties

Blog Entries
    Weather Up-Date: Only got down to -5 or something like that, and with the sun shinning all day, we warmed up to 22 - 24 . Warmer temps coming, but bringing snow with it, but it will get above freezing by the week's end.

Kitties were scrambling all over each other to get to the food pan today! Momma and Muffin were out "sunning" when I drove up and Muffin waited, impatiently, inside the shelter for his food! Sometimes these guys can be so funny.

Mr. Bootsy actually slept in his "cat house" last night! At least I think he did as I caught him scampering out of it when I took him some breakfast this morning. Next week, if the weather warms up a bit, I may try to make a bigger shelter for him, more stable and varmint proof! Or at least dog proof! Come Spring I hope to be able to convince him to move closer to the house

Same drummer, different beat:

Looks like I will be getting a Bengal kitten this spring. The breeder I've been emailing has a very promising litter due soon and there could possibly be a spotted boy in it for me. The Momma is a sliver spotted, so say a prayer everything works out for both of us!

Here's a link to an image of two young Bengals:

Bengal Kittens
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Very cute. Interesting breed. Bengal ? Aren't they from Bengals as in tiger ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

The Bengals remind me of Sniper, my Baby who now greets me at the door when I come home and suddenly decides that she wants to be held and petted.

I think there is hope for the wild kitties to become tame. She is so very loving.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    The Bengal Breed was created by crossing the Asian Leopard Cat (a wild species) with a Domestic breed. Through selective breeding and out crossing to additional domestic breeds the breed has been developed beyond the foundation stock level and now breed true to type when bred Bengal to Bengal.

In an even more interesting development, the African Serval has been bred with Bengals to produce The SAVANNAH CAT. The Savannah Cat is still in the development stage and, although a few first through fourth generation animals are available their cost is still very high, $1K and up, and this is for a pet quality animal only. They are an equally beautiful animal, extremely intelligent and affectionate.

Link to image of a SERVAL:

http://www.savannahcat.com/funtastic/matekasit.jpg

This link will give you an idea about how big a cat the Savannah can be. Yes, that is a normal sized chair!

http://www.rimrocksafaris.com/photos/savannahs_007.jpg

I am told the Bengals and Savannahs make great companions (for each other, as well as for people).

There are other hybrids out there, starting from various spotted as well as non-spotted wild species, Chausies come to mind, as they too are a large cat, but without spots. Beautiful golden color with some tabby marking on the "points".

Golden Jungle Cat:

http://www.junglemtnexotics.com/pics-july1/21.jpg

There are a lot of this type hybrid cat as well as hybrids being created between two (or more) of these hybrids. The Bengal is one of the smaller hybrids.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    If that Golden Jungle Cat in the photo was looking at me I'd swear it was thinking, "I wonder if she tastes like chicken ?" Those bigger cats would make me think twice !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Aren't they all precious? I love cats of all kinds.I would like to have a Norwegian Forest cat or a Maine Coon cat some day. I still have cats at the farm,5 at my house between me and my daughter, and 1 at my Mom's where I am staying right now.
    I gave away all my rescue babies (if you count that my daughter kept one and Momma kept another.) I sure miss all those little one tearing through the house. Momma cat goes to vet Monday to be spayed, along with the puppy from the farm. Thinking about having my Jack Russell Terror spayed but would love to breed her once. Would love to breed our great pyrenees too and have her spayed. My problem is I want to keep all the babies!
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I'm running into a brick wall trying to find an organization to help me with the Wal-Mart Kitties! One source sends me someplace else and when I try to contact them the message comes back! Another doesn't provide any "real" contact information, but instead gives you a form to fill out to which you get an automated response telling you that they are moving and that unless you are a vet or animal control agency, you most likely won't get a response from them! ARGH!

I am not pleased with the way this is going, not pleased at all!

Moral: People of limited means should not get involved with anything they can not afford to fully fund themselves.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Wow! It's been a lot longer than I thought since I've posted anything about the kitties!

All y'all will be pleased to hear they are all doing fine!

I've also finally been able to contact an organization who will assist me with getting them all fixed, adopting out those that can be and releasing the others back to their "home". They will even help out with food and shelter ! Which I don't really need help with, yet, but it's nice to know that they will. They'll even do the TNR for Mr. Boots. I am thinking though that instead of bringing him back to my place, where it might not be all that safe for him, that he will go back to the colony so he can be with others of his own kind and not have to be alone all the time. He still has not warmed up to me since I kitten-napped him. He "talks" to me and accepts the food I give him and even sleeps in his cat house, but he always keeps it between he and I, often not coming out from under the barn until I move away. He does get out and check things out - I've seen his little paw prints in the snow! But he doesn't get very far from his barn or cat house.

I did have an incident between Mr. Boots and the neighbor's dog a couple of days ago and the poor boy has been very skittish ever since.

I had given him his lunch when I came in for my own "meal break" from work and that darned dog had decided she was going to eat his food. I had made him a new house ( cut a hole big enough for him to come and go through into the end of a medium sized plastic "tote", put a nice warm pile-lined jacket in it for comfort and warmth too.) The entry hole faces the fence and the house itself sit as close to the fence as I can get it and behind a Styrofoam box that I have lily bulbils planted in. The lid fits tight and it stays dry so it makes a nice house for him. Anyway the dog had to have pawed at it until she got it turned around (Mr. Boots had most like made a quick exit and a mad dash under the barn), from the looks of it, laying on it's side 12 feet from where it was supposed to be, the dog got her head caught in it trying to get to the food bowl. I found the food bowl laying by the fence.

I had hoped the cat had been inside and fired up the dogs' nose, but that wasn't the case. I went to the neighbor's house and had a little "talk" with the dog. She knew she'd be a bad girl! I like the dog, but I like her a whole lot more when she stays in her own yard!

I got everything put back, fixed Mr. Boots some dinner and then piled a few things in front and on top of his house to deter the dog. Then I begged, pleaded and cajoled Mr. Boots to come and eat. He didn't even stick his nose out from under the barn. I worried the whole night that maybe the dog did get a hold of him, but it was too late to do anything that night. Next morning I got out early to take Mr. Boots his breakfast, and there he was, with his face sticking out from under the barn, giving me that look - it's all your fault kind of look - I got into his house to put his food in and he had come out and ate what I had left the night before and he did eventually come out for his breakfast, but I could tell he was really stressed by the incident. I've been talking to him a lot the past couple of days, trying to reassure him that all was well and it was safe for him to eat. He seemed a little relaxed today at lunch time, But he really needs to be back with his family. Darned shame I don't have a way of trapping him now and taking him back. I could get a trap, but I'm afraid if I did we wouldn't be able to get him in one again when the time comes for them to all be trapped and taken in for surgery. So guess I will leave well enough alone for now.

It was such a beautiful day today I decided to feed the kitties out in the open so I could leave the shelter open to really air out - not that it's a closes structure, because it isn't. It also gave me an opportunity to see if everyone was there and okay. Muffin Man let me pet him and even arched his back into my hand and, he purred! That made me feel so good! Even Momma Kitty let me touch her. She has had to have been a pet at one time. A truly feral cat wouldn't have allowed it. Cinnamon came out next and decided it was okay to eat - after I moved off several feet. Sissy, on the other hand wouldn't even come out until after I went to my car and then she just sat there until I actually got into the car and started to pull away before she went on to the food pan to eat.

I went back out to their shelter when I took my last break and closed everything up again and put what they hadn't eaten inside the shelter. They ate about half of what I had put out for them and they will have eaten it all by the time I feed them again.

I was walking around and gathering materials I could use to re-do the shelter and Muffin was sitting out behind the shelter catching some sun. For a change, he did run off, but sat there and watched me watch him. He's getting to be a really good looking little cat. I don't think any of them will ever be big cats, perhaps as big as Momma Kitty, but I doubt they get any if much bigger than she is and she's a smallish cat.

I had to call the organizations voice mail today to leave some information for them and the recording stated it could be as long as four months before their surgeries could be done, although in the email I got from the director in reply to my email to them, she indicated it would only be a couple of months, possibly sooner. I just hope we don't end up with more kittens by that time. I don't know positively what sex the kittens are, experience tells me Muffin and Cinnamon are males and Sissy is a female. Mr. Boots, a male. They are just about old enough to be sexually mature, so there could be two litters born if it takes as long as four months. I doubt I will know where either litter would be, at least until they are old enough to eat solid food. Momma would bring hers to the feeding station, but I don't know about Sissy. She has always been extremely shy and skittish.

If I get a chance while I'm off the next two days I need to crawl inside the shelter and pull out the blankets to bring home to wash up and I'll have to put something else in there. I'd rather use straw, and there's plenty of it there at the store, unfortunately it is all wet and unusable. I;ll find something though. Although I don't know why since it doesn't seem like they use it to sleep in; the kittens, even with as big as they are now always come out from the concrete blocks or from under the pallets they are stacked on. Oh well, it will be there and available if they want it. If Momma does have another litter before we can do TNR, perhaps she'll use it for them.

Well, I've rambled on long enough. I think I have y'all pretty much up to date on everything. Will post more information on the TNR Program and when things will happen as I learn about them.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

You are so, so VERY WONDERFUL! We have spent a bundle getting these cats fixed, but it was worth it.

Little Baby is so tiny, but she is the only one that wants to still venture outside. The other two just sit there and look when the door is open.

Yet, Little Baby is the most demanding when it comes to being loved. She cries when she knows I am getting ready to go. I have to pick her up and hold her. Gee, I doubt she weighs 3 lbs. She is so little and yet full grown, but I remember the theatrical representation and 'singing', opra, I think, that she did when she first came into heat. Oh, my GOSH! I was taking graduate courses then, and I didn't need ANYTHING to keep me from the few hours that I had to sleep. She was pitiful!

Anyway, I think you are a wonderful person, and the world should be filled with people like you!

THANKS!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Ann, but I just do what I can. Even when I feel it isn't enough.

Everyone came in out of the rain to eat today! Muffin and I had a starring contest - he won!

They are all getting to be really beautiful animals, even if they do still seem to have short legs! I'm not used to seeing cat as cobby as these, all the ones I've even had were long in the leg and body, but I do like the way these guys look. Very compact and muscular. It must come from their papa, because Momma K isn't like that. Cinnamon, still the biggest is nearly as tall as his Momma, but not as long. I know females are typically longer in the "torso" than males, but this is not quite the same. Sissy is so shy I don't get to see her next to Momma K to compare their body types.

I really do hope at least of couple of these young ones will tame down enough to be pets, especially Muffin. He has the desire, just not the trust. Too bad I couldn't get connected with the TNR group when they were young enough to be socialized. Oh well, since I have more or less made the plunge into feral rescue and caregiver I imagine I will have new opportunities to correct all the errors I've made with this group.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

Hang in there. Babie is not the tamest of the bunch, but has somehow become th every most loving of them all. She still wants to be independent and outside. She still sings when she sees birds outside.

She is still very much a dependent kitten who needs loving and caring, so what can I say.

It amazes me that Simba and Buddy, the kittens that grew up inside, are so very afraid of the outside and will never go out. Yet, Babie, the little one yearns to be outside, and on the other hand will race back inside when things aren' t right outside.

I suppose it is a matter of independence and where you grew up, huh?

Still, Babie is the most dependent and loving of them all, yet she has the need to venture outside. She is so tiny, though, and it is unsafe, so what can I say, but do what I can...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    The Garden Shop folks weren't supposed to start setting up the plant corrals until next month. Something changed that as they've been so so already. Today, when I went to feed, another entire palleted stack of blocks had been moved and a large quantity of the landscape timers. So much so that the so called shelter I put up for the kittens to be out of the weather while they are and to sleep in if they wanted to was in dire need of repair. All I could do today was tighten it up a bit, and switch the blankets in the barrel. Now there isn't a cover over the front of the barrel, but they can still get into it to get out of the wind and rain. If they move any more blocks or timbers tomorrow the shelter will probably come down, either fall or be taken down.

I'll be taking my roll of spastic sheeting with me to work and hope the weather is decent enough that I can work on it during my lunch break. Will also have to take their food with me and finish preparing it there.

I will have to totally relocate the shelter and already have my plan in mind, it will just be a case of being able to get it done in less than an hour and without any help.

All of the kitties were up-set from all the activity today, Momma K and Muffin seemed the least disturbed and poor Cinnamon was on pins and needles. Sissy, however was so up set she crawled back into the blocks. I;m sure she ate after I left, but she just didn't want any people around.

These nearly grown kittens are still crawling into the hollows of these blocks to sleep, how they do it I have no idea! I sure hope the guys don't have to use all of the blocks as that would really disturb the kittens, even with my making a new shelter for them. Looks like I will have some difficult times ahead, I just hope these kitties trust me enough to not relocate themselves where I can't get to them.

Later I need to make a list of all the materials I'll need to re-do the shelter and sleeping quarters and then hope I can find everything. Some tools will be needed to cut and attach the plastic, but I also want to use some heavy cardboard in between the layers of plastic, especially on the north side of the shelter and the roof. I also need to find a way to secure the trash barrel so it won't roll, so I need to find a couple of my longest bungee cords.

I won't be able to nail this shelter together, so I hope there will be some blocks I can use to reinforce and hold the sides up. I may be taking a longer lunch than normal.

I've also been told I need to start using straw or wood shaving in their bed as clothe tens to draw moisture and won't really keep them all that warm and dry. For the time being, I will have to use what I have and that means an old blanket. When we get in our first load of straw I requisition some of it to use for bedding. We had lots of it now, but it's all wet because they never covered it, and they think they're going to be able to dry it out and sell it! (These city folk sure can be stupid!) Now, IF the manager would give me some of it I could use it on the outside of the shelter as insulation. Have to ask him about that!

Well, better go and gather what I need from home for tomorrow.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Two hours of hard labor and fussing at/with a heavy duty staple gun that didn't want to work right, the kitties have a new shelter. Now if they'll just use it!

Momma Kat did check it out, but no one seemed interested in eating today, at least they hadn't eaten by the time I finished taking pictures early this evening. Tried to get pictures of the kitties, but they wouldn't let me get very close and after croping down, the results were not much count. Will try to remember to take the camera to work tomorrow and see if I can get a few shots when I set up their food for them. Also hope they are really hungry so they'll go into the new shelter to eat!

Wonderful weather for working outside today, got up to 63 today. Tomorrow we will wake up to SNOW! Sure hope the kitties decide the shelter is a better place to be in besides those cold concrete blocks!

Will show one image here, then do another post showing a different view.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This is a 3/4 view with some of the pond in the background.
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This is the best shot of the kitties. Sissy wasn't to be seen, she must be really up-set by all the activirty of the last few days, poor baby. Anyway, like I said, not a good image, but you can see Muffin Man (crouched on the block, Cinnamon, hiding behind Momma Kat.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast