+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wal-mart Kitties

Blog Entries

Wink Wal-mart Kitties

I've decided to make a new thread just for this since I'v had a few inquiries about their welfare.

WAL-MART KITTIES

Vickie, and all interested,

I attempted to bring home one of the boys a couple of weeks ago, but when we got home, he escaped the car before I could grab him and get him inside. So. . . now he lives under the barn that butts up against the end of my property. He must have found a snug former possum den as he is always dry when he comes out to get the food I take out for him. The first day or so my cat, "Baby", gave him a rather hard way to go, but he stood his ground. After that, I moved the cat house to my side of the fence and positioned it to where only "Bootsy" can get into it. This is where I put his food. He won't get into it and it is quite comical to see him half in and half out when he eats. He is looking very good these days.

I did just get home from taking the daily rations to Momma and the three remaining younguns. All are doing well. The latest one to have "sick eye" seems to have gotten through it and is looking better every day. Momma looks like she is pregnant, I hope not, but with all the good food she's been getting I wouldn't doubt it. I don't know how well a litter born in the wild in January will fare or what she will do to/about the older kittens, but that will have to be left to Mother Nature to work out.

All in all they are all doing very well for themselves, especially since suckering a human into bringing them food on a daily basis and who also has tried to put together some sort of shelter from all the extrema cold and the snow we've had. Their food intake is increasing quite rapidly; they now go through a 16 pound bag of food in about two weeks plus all the extra goodies I add to it. Today their special ingredient was beef liver that was left over from my supper last night. You'd have thought I laid a whole fresh side of beef in front of them! They are not picky eaters for sure! Yesterday they had rice added to the usual mix. Never knew a house kitty to eat rice with such gusto!

It really lifts my spirits when I take them their food and stay long enough to see that everyone is getting a good feed. "Muffin Man" is now allowing me to pet him again and Momma isn't as shy as she was either, but she's not into this petting thing! She isn't an old cat, but she must have been on her own for quite some time and most likely mistreated be for that. Wish she would learn to trust me and let me bring her home before she has this next litter of kittens. Will work on that.

All for now,

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

How Wonderful of YOU!

Rebecca!

You have a big heart, and it will not take long for those little kittens to figure it out.

In recent years, I have discovered that cats have very distinct personalities, and I suspect that some of that comes from their environment at birth.

Here's the low-down...

Simba was our first kitten to adopt. He was born in Ray's old boat inside of his garage. Mama cat took to us right away, but she remained an outside cat.

Taco, Hunter's Chihuahua, loves anything, everything and everybody in sight. He took to that first litter of three kittens and who'd ever know that he was a dog? Mama cat knew, though, and right she was, when she was paralyzed by the neck down. after the second litter of 6 was born in a back bedroom, she would insist upon going outside at night. A dog attacked her, and we had to have her put to sleep.

I spent the summer in long pants because I had to feed those 6 hungry babies with an eye dropper. They would crawl up my pants to rest on my chest until they were fed.

Buddy, a male, was the only one that we kept of that litter. You see, Buddy was not taken at all by humans. So, when they were taken to the pet store for adoption, Buddy wouldn't have anything to do with anyone. All of the others adored people, so they found homes.

Buddy has never changed. He is not real loving, but adores Hunter and will wake him up in the morning by tapping his face. Once in awhile, he will decide he wants me to pet him, but other than that, he is much to himself.

Then there was the second Mama cat with 3 kittens trying to climb the gutters at Hunter's school at the end of the year. They wanted water. It was a drought.

We ended up keeping one of the kittens. Hunter named her Sniper. I call her 'Baby'. She is still sort of wild, very tiny and light like her Mama, but wants to go outside. She cries every morning when I am getting ready to go out the door. I have to put everything down and hold her for awhile so that she knows I will be back. Baby has been fixed...

Mama cat was a sweetheart, light and tiny with thick, long gray hair. Needless to say, they found a home in my garage. Mama cat quickly became pregant again and had 5 gorgeous, long hair black kittens.

Mama cat disappeared, and I have truly missed her. The black kittens all found homes.

Then a neighbor called and said, "Don't you have a gray cat?" I went, and it was not her, but Hunter decided to feed the gray cat.

Now, the gray cat has the name of 'Blue', but we don't know if it is a male or female. Blue has never gotten pregnant, so maybe Blue is a he.

Anyway, I thought of you and your kittens on Christmas Day when Blue was curled up in the garage on an old comforter bed I made on top of the freezer.

I do need to get a picture of Blue for you. She/he is a perfect cat!
    Outdoors, but dependable and always comes back...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I don't know what the eventual outcome will be with my Wal-Mart Kitties, all I know is that as long as they nned me to bring them food, I will do so. Tha same for Bootsy, as long as he will accept my help, it will be there for him.

I often wonder what happened to the little calico; I prefer to think she took a likeing to people and was taken in by a caring spirit and lives a life of luxury! The alternatives are things I care not to think about.

And you know, I have this feeling that if Pippin hadn't disappeared, these little lives wouldn't have come into my life they way they did.

Lord, how I still miss my "little boy". . ... .

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Momma Kat let me PET her today!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

There ya GO!!!!

That's a big step in the right direction. What a wonderful person you are to care about those kitties this much!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I had a pretty little stray in my yard in WA. She was a soft pearl gray. She had a lot to say to me, so I named her Chatty Katty. Of course she became pregnant very soon and had her kitties. They sheltered in a protected and inaccessible place near where I fed her. I got a Havahart trap from the Humane Society,but the kitties were not heavy enough to spring the door. Later, I tried trapping them in one of the outbuildings and catching them with a salmon net I had. Those wild little guys were not to be caught. I don't know what happened to them.. SIGH..

Well, Chatty was a very good mom and had all her babies well taught, but became pregnant again before I thought it possible. I quickly got a referral to a spay-neuter clinic and took her in. She healed quickly and continued to hang around. I visited a year or two later, and she seemed to know me. Bringing her here was not possible, and she knew the farm. Good people bought the place.

I do believe that all stray kitties should be spayed or neutered. Feral cats are really hard on the bird population, and the life of a feral cat is pretty hard. Not all survive.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    It has oft been said of me that I am a better friend to animals (and plants) than to people. I've always taken it as a very high compliment.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    They were all a bit "standoffish" today, at least until they finally figured out it was ME! Probably too many people messing around in that part of the back lot for them to be comfortable with.

Rains start tomorrow and an new set of obstacles to deal with.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Sniper (ie. Baby) does not like the camera! But I tried...

She is so very tiny, and you can't tell that by the picture. She is the size of a six month kitten, but is no longer a kitten and somewhat wild when it comes to wanting to go outside.

She cries and cries for me when I am on the patio and she can see me through the sliding glass doors.

She watches for birds through the window, and she makes this bird singing sound when she sees one. Its almost as if she is singing to the birds and may just be doing that...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    One of these days, when I'm not working, and I go to feed the kitties I will take my camera with me and try to get some pix of them.

Momma Cat let me pet her just a little today and Muffin Man actually let me pick him up today! I was sorely tempted to take him home so Bootsy would have some company. I knew he would just go berserk in the car, so I left well enough alone. The orange female (?- just a guess) didn't show up to eat today, at least not while I was there. She looked okay yesterday so I figured she was out hunting, or something really scared her so she wouldn't come out of her hiding place.

We will probably get rain tomorrow so I checked out the original feeding station, now that I can get to it again, and will probably have to feed them there. Just wish I had access to some lumber so I could fashion a raised area so they wouldn't have to stand in water or on wet concrete to eat.

What I really need to do the next time they pick up all the skids is to re-do their shelter so it's easier for me to get the food to them regardless of the weather. Just need a few more skids and some plastic sheeting. Or even some really big, heavy pieces of cardboard. Will have to do some poking around and see what I can find (scavenge!)

Sniper sure is a cutie! The little "song" is what cats do when they hunt and find prey, right before they pounce on them!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

That's funny about the song because it is so much fun to listen to her. She has a nice 'voice', and it was really weird the first time I heard her do it.

I am really over protective of her, I guess. One day, when I came home, she was outside the garage door and crying something awful. She was obviously in pain and was on her side and would not get up.

I took her to the vet. I thought I had run over her, but didn't know how I could have. The vet said that as a kitten, I could have and she would be okay.

I cried and cried at the horrible thought that I had run over her. Then the news came that she had a bad case of worms. She was treated and came home, inside, not outside. About 2 months later, she fixed. She is the only female cat that I have had in the house in heat, and it was HORRIBLE. She acted like she was in misery and cried LOUDLY and CONSTANTLY.

I am not a cat person, or at least I didn't used to be, but she is one good and loving cat and so very gentle. Simba is loving, but likes to eat at my fingers... Sniper likes to lick my arms like a dog when she is loving on me.

Oh, my! Whatever would we do without these loving critters that can be a LOT of work at times!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh how cute ! Talk about camera shy ! I never heard of that 'singing' thing; I'll have to look that up. Sounds like you are getting close to being able to bring home the WM kitties but I know they have to totally trust you and taking one will just make the others get skittish. It would be fun to see the WM kitties pix !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Having them here would make it more convenient for me to feed them, but it wouldn't be nearly as safe for them as they are at the store. They're much to wild to have in the house or to bet left to roam the neighborhood. I may still try to bring Muffin home so Bootsy has some company . He stays under the "barn" all the time (as far as I know) and only comes out to eat. Even then, he waits until I am a good 8 to 10 feet away before he comes all the way out and then pops his head inside he "cat house" to eat. I'll see how things go the next couple of days.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    There must have been some celebration in the apartments complex right next to the store and it must have really up set the kitties because they were nowhere to be seen when I fed them today. Hopefully they snuck in after I left and before the rain came and got some good eats.

I won't leave but a little dry food tomorrow if they aren't there, no use in feeding the dogs and possums!

Bootsy wasn't as bold as he usually is either, so I am guessing the little bit of fire crackers one of the neighbors set off here last night spooked him as well. Of course, he didn't know where else to run to so he stayed put under the barn.

It worries me when the "gang" doesn't show up to eat.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    My bet would be on the fireworks upsetting them. The fireworks were so obnoxious last night. My dog was hiding this morning; she also gets scared from gunshots in the distance from hunters. I think the WM kittieswill be back.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast