+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sparaxis Bulbs

Sparaxis Bulbs

This is a very small bulb, and even though the flowers are small, they are absolutely intriguing.

I don't see any coming back this year, so I purchased several packages marked down to $1 at Walmart.

This time I am going to plant them around the light pole in the front yard.

They produce lots and lots of seeds.

This picture is old and one that I took with my video camera about 3 years ago. They normally bloom this time of the year, but the ones I put in the ground this week will not bloom until late winter.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I planted about 75 of these today. They will be in the little circle bed around my light pole.

I have had this bed heavily mulched for about 3 years now, so most of the weeds are gone.

I planted around 40 daffodils in groups of about 7-8 next to the pole. Then I planted Ixia, about 60 of those. They are tiny, but a little taller than Sparaxis with clusters of pretty little flowers.

Then I planted Pandora's Box daylilies in the next circle layer. I know I didn't make a perfect circle, but there is plenty of room for these to grow. Last year, they were on the other side of the house, so I hardly got to see them unless I went to look. They will have plenty of room to spread their feet and multiply.

Then I planted the Sparaxis (all 75) around the outermost edge of the circle.

Funny thing... I never found the power line, so it must be buried fairly deep. Doesn't matter anyway because it shorted out last year, and after a lot of poking and prodding, we finally traced it to a short in the buried cable and disconnected it. The light no longer works and the fixture broke during Ivan and still needs to be replaced.

After the bulbs begin to fade and the last danger of frost has passed, I will plant some purple morning glory and white Moonflower vine (Ipomoea alba). I use fishing line to train the vines up the pole.

I can't wait to see the blooms begin! The only blooms in my gardens now are the camelias, but I am enjoying digging and dreaming of the future.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread