+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amaryllis-mold & wet soil

Blog Entries

Amaryllis-mold & wet soil

Oh great, I just noticed grey mold starting where the soil touches the bulb on one Amaryllis. Also, I think the soil is awfully wet in all pots after about 5 days. I only watered once and threw out the drained water. 4 of them are next to a humidifier in a south facing window and 3 are not and in the north facing living room including the one with signs of mold. Any suggestions before I dig them all out and sulfur dust them and put them back in with dry soil where soil contacts the bulb ?

Update:I dug out two so far--one had mold on its roots as well; the other just on its side. I trimmed dead roots off and dipped in 9:1 bleach solution . I didn't rinse. I will let air dry in basement near furnace--driest place I know. I could use the blowdryer on them I suppose. When dry I will sulfur dust. Pots thrown in trash. I hate that darn coir pellet (coconut fiber) they come with.Will buy a drier soil and repot. Second one had started quite abit of new root growth. First one(with the mold one roots-not much evidence of new roots just plumped up old ones).
    Another update: Looked at the rest. I think the 4 that I put Rootone F on and potted in good soil are all OK. I put them next to a floor heat vent in hopes of drying their soil some more. 3 of the 4 that were in coir pellets had to be dipped and dried. 1 actually still looked OK so I'll just keep an eye on it.
    So, I have learned: no coir ! and possible soak the roots briefly to determine which ones are viable and cut the rest(or else pick up the bulb after a few days and do that. I will continue to pick up the bulbs and check their sides and roots.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-20-2004 at 08:05 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Coir is good stuff, it just wasn't meant to be used alone! Get youself a bag of good stuff, Miracle Grow, Peter's, etc. and a bag of Pearlite or vermiculite. Add either of these at a 1:3 rate (3 parts potting mix to 1 part P or V) This will insure good drainage. Use clay pots if at all possible and supply some bottom heat. A regular heating pad will work, cover it in plastic first and then place your drainage tray over it with the potted bulbs in it. Set it on LOW.

Potting mix will dry out a bit faster, but that's okay. When you pot up the bulbs, water the mix first and squeeze out all the excess, crumple it into the pots, do not pack it down! Once the bulb is in place and the mix added around it, gently rap the pot on the floor, flat on the bottom of the pot to settle the soil. After the bulbs are growing well you can always lift them and add additional potting mix to the bottom of the pots.

Now then, take 2 asprin and get back to me in the morning!

Doc Becca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Thanks Doc ! LOL ! I'm happy you were out there !

Blog Entries
    You know, there's no justice when it comes to gardeners who try hard and those who are blissfully ignorant. Although I am in a hybrid category of ignorant/tries hard ! I was walking past some cubicles and saw a gorgeous Clown amaryllis with 4 full blooms.
    I complimented the owner but noiced: The soil was past the neck of the bulb-I could hardly see the bulb; the soil was very wet and the pot was in a decorative plastic wrapper and yet it looked great !

Cathy,

I have learned the hard way to toss the pots that come with Amaryllis immediately. After planting, I put the pots outside, and take my word for it when I say that the plastic does not hold up. It turns brittle and falls to pieces with the slightest touch and makes a mess all over the place.

The other problem that I have seen with these containers is that lately, they do not have any holes in them. I am not talking about the ones that come in double pots. I am talking about the ones that comes with a single pot (non-decorative), and there are no holes. Tossed!!!! Gone!!!! Immediately!!! Whatever were they thinking?

The decorative plastic liner is pretty, and I think it is meant to protect furniture from dampness, but I wouldn't trust it. They either leak or hold too much water.

I do like the clay pots. You can spray paint them, then hand paint decorations on them. Just be sure to put them on a saucer or something to catch excess water.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

How's that bulb doing? Showing any signs of improvement yet or is it holding it's own (and not getting worse)?

Were you able to pot it in clay? If so, you can mist the pot to increase the humidity.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I repotted 3 of them (after lightly brushing mold off with a toothbrush while in the bleach dip; snipping off dead roots, then letting dry on a grate for about 24 hours near the furnace; then brushing the basal plate and any roots with Rootone F). They aren't in clay pots but actually in 1 gallon plastic pots.
    I gave a tiny bathroom sized cup of water to the two with roots; the third really didn't have roots and I haven't given it water yet. All 3 look OK so far--no signs of much new root growth yet. The one without roots is Appleblossom and, I know you are going to take me to task for this, but it is sooo close to blooming. The only reason why I didn't snip off the buds is that I initially thought the roots were viable but later found out they really weren't.
    The other 5 pots were placed over the floor heating vent to dry out their soil. The vent is actually closed but enough warm air still comes through it and since the opening isn't that big I'd sorta huddle the pots over and around it and rotate them to take turns being directly on the vent. They are all now on the table top above the vent in a south window. I also have my humidifier on top of that table as well. I have 2 sword ferns that think they are in Heaven ! It's set at 40% humidity. I was at Lowes, Home Depot and Wal-Mart today and I am obsessed with checking prices on Amaryllis ! That's not why I went to those places--actually I need a dishwasher(went to WM to drop off film)--but I'd make sidetrips just to check on bulbs ! But I keep reminding myself that I already have 8 that I'm triaging already!
    Hey, I hear WallyWorld is closed on Saturday ! Woo-Wee ! Kick back and Relax ! Have A Merry Christmas!!!!(Just put the little tree up tonite !)
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-23-2004 at 08:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you're doing all you can. You might consider raising the humidity to 50% though.

If the scape on Appleblossom is in good shape, it may act as a trigger for new root formation. I say this because some "treated" bulbs will bloom regardless of the fact they have an active root system. Raising the humidity to 50% will also help induce root formation. Once it has opened at least one bloom watch the bulb carefully and closely, if it starts to lose firmness, cut the scape close to the bulb and place it in water, it will continue to open buds. Change the water daily!

Sometimes with bulbs that are slow to strike new roots it can help if you just lay the bulb in contact with moist soil. This will allow for good air movement around the basal plate and with the ambient humidity kept at 50% or better the roots should form .

My PHILADELPHIA is finally making root growth ( foliage is just now starting to form) and it has put up a second scape.

Some are just very slow to initiate root growth.

Keep us posted on how your collection of "special treatment" bulbs are doing. I feel once you get then going and growing they should all do well. Although, APPLEBLOSSOM does present some real challenges.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

First Bloom !

Apple Blossom is blossoming ! 2 almost fully open; 3 remaining buds. My very first Amaryllis bloom !

Blog Entries
    YIPPIE!

REBECCA
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread