+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brugsmansia Gallery of Pictures

Brugsmansia Gallery of Pictures

The American Brugsmansia and Datura Society's gallery of Brugsmansia images:

http://www.americanbrugmansia-datura...%20gallery.htm

I did not realize that there were so many varieties. Be sure to click on each letter of the alphabet. You will be amazed!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Moonflower

When I was a kid my elderly neighbor had a shrubby plant that had long white trumpet shaped flowers that either faced to the side or up but didn't hang down. The flowers bloomed at night. The seed pods were memorable as they were round with spines. I've seen Moonflower seeds in catalogs but they are for a vine--this was not a vine. I'm thinking that it is Datura(which kinda freaks me out since they are so poisonous and neither I nor my parents knew that when I was a kid). Does this sound like Datura ? Are there some that bloom at night ?
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 01-03-2005 at 05:58 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

That is the white Datura that Tom has. He sent me many seeds, and I grew some, but did not allow them to go to seed because he told me they come back from seeds that drop, and I don't need too many of them. If Tom doesn't have any fresh seeds, I still have some that he sent me.

Last week, I took a walk around the neighborhood and discovered an elongated pod on a dormant white brugsmansia that my neighbor planted last year. I was trying to see if the plant was deciduous or herbaceous when I spotted the dangling seed pod.

I decided to give it a try and looked up this post. I read what the Brugsmansia Society said about soaking and peeling the seeds, and it is true. They peel very easily. The seeds are very different from Datura seeds. The coat is rather corky, and the ones that sunk to the bottom of the cup were easier to peel (coat absorbed more water).

At first, I was afraid that I would scar the embryo, but then I noticed that the embryo was very hard. I am trying a few using the damp paper towel approach, simply because I am out of pot space under my fluorescent lights in my little 'propagating' room.

Wouldn't it be neat if this one crossed with my pink one?

We will see.... That is IF they grow. The seed pod hung on the stems all winter! It's neat to try, anyway!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    OOOO ! I would like some white datura seeds. Tom ? Are you out there ? Have you any white Datura seeds ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread