+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Snow for Christmas????

Jim,

How wonderful to hear from you! Yes, we are most likely going to miss the snow flurries also. We are expecting a slight chance of rain after the temps go above 32 (no higher than 40, brrrr).

Shepp,

What a shame! When the power company trucks started arriving after Ivan, people would wave and cheer, honk their horns and pull off the roads to make way for them.

When they finally came to our small subdivision, everyone came out of their homes and greeted them with great big smiles.

Perhaps it is those memories of being without power for 5 or more weeks during Frederick, but all I can say is that I am extremely grateful for the hard work and time away from your families.

Buy something special for yourself with the overtime pay. You are our heroes. You deserve it.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Not all customers act like that , i supposed just the most frustrated ones do.
    still waitin for a phone call. i expect it tonite.
    out of town crews are arriving to give others a break.
    down to 283000 right now. to many high lines are down keeping the substations from coming on line. they expect we will have them on christmas day about late evening.sun is shining and 15 right now.

Hi All,
    Well all is very snowy here, we received abou 6" inches today and it is still snowing. My nephew came home from Columbus, OH last nite, had to wait until 1:00 a.m. to get unstuck from their driveway. They made it here about 7:30 a.m.! Yuck! is right Shepp, winter sucks, big time!!!!
    Please be careful out there and try to stay warm. Like Ann said you'd be my hero if I needed your services!
    Jim, nice to hear your eating homegrown tomatoes! And enjoying the life of an escapee!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Just got home after 11 hrs.
    worked in the middle of not the nastiest but still just as devastating ice storms i have worked.after seeng what i saw it will be tuesday before the bulk of them will be back on.
    we got 4 HV breakers back on and 3 HV switch's.
    i appreciate the kind words from you all.
    hey its Christmas morning.
    Merry Christmas and God Bless.
    Hi Jim you Rascal.
    i am whupped ,wake me about noon

Blog Entries
    Shepp,

Even though you have not bailed me out of a power failure, you have done so for many friends, so for that, you are my Hero as well.

Wishing you all the Best!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

It is SNOWING!!!! We were on our way home from taking Christmas dinner to the Island Ladies when we started seeing a few flakes. Three miles from home, it was on the roof tops.

The first thing Hunter did when we arrived home was to make a real snow ball with the snow on top of my car. He kept asking, "Mama, is this REAL snow!" I laughed at him and kept saying, "YES!!!!"

Neat! Maybe it will build up a little overnight and he can make a real snowman.

We are in for one more cold night, low of 25 degrees.

NEATO!!!! NEATO!!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Wait until Hunter figures out that he can 'preserve' that snowball in the freezer !
    I'm very happy that you had a white Christmas... that's the one think I mentioned to hubby last night that I wished we had.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

If we get enough, and it lasts until morning, we will save some in the freezer.

Hunter took a bite, and he said, "Wow! Snow tastes GOOD!"

It's far from white here. In fact, it was one of those nasty, gray, rainy days at the Island. Small chunks of ice would fall on the porch, but that is not the same thing as those soft, fluffy flakes that float about as they fall.

Snow is a treat for us any time of the year or perhaps I should say any year because it only happens once in ten years or so...

It's a treat just to see a few flurries of the white gold!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, the brief snow turned back into rain. Doesn't matter, though! It was fun while it lasted.

A Joy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Our 8-inches have compressed to 5 - 6 and the drifts have also shrunk, but not by much! More is predicted in the next few days, but only a couple of inches.

It will be welcomed on the flower bed, cussed for being on the roads and looked at in disdain by my house kitty as well as my family of feral kitties, even the one who escaped to my back yard. They really don't like the white stuff or this bitter cold!

UP-DATE ON THE WILD BUNCH:

Momma is definitely pregnant, looks like a mid to late January delivery, which will be rough on her and new kittens. She will not allow me to approach her, so trying to catch her is out of the question, so nature will just have to take its course. The three younguns still with her have all gone through a period of "sick-eye" and all looked much better this afternoon. My wildling has not yet developed it and may not since he is no longer in contact with the others.

One good thing I did notice when I went to feed Christmas afternoon is that they are using the box I set up for them with a couple of old blankets in it. I also have old plastic table clothes over the box to keep it dry and to keep some of the wind out. The box is big enough that all four of them can get into it and cuddle up for warmth. Don't know what Momma Kat will do when it comes time for the new litter to be born. I feel almost certain she may chase the older kittens off, or at least out of her warm, cozy box! I'd still like to get at least the other two males caught and brought home, they'd pick right up with their brother, or I might be successful in getting one or both all the way to the house and into the cage in the basement. They won't like it, I'm sure, but they'd be warm and out of harms way. And who knows, I might even be able to tame them down enough that they'd make good barn cats.

All for now,

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3