+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snow for Christmas????

Hi All,
    Just to let you all know that Sunday night it got down to -5 here! Yes, that is a minus sign. We have about 4" of snow now, but it was lightly raining a couple hours ago. 25 degrees here this evening with a low forcast of 21. The 20's I can handle, but the -5 was wicked as it also windy.
    Stay warm everyone!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Rebecca,

Your major winter storm will arrive here Friday night. Some are predicting 17-18 degrees. I am glad that I will be on holiday so that I am check to make sure the heater is sufficient. If not, that means moving some plants around.

So far, nearly everything has been okay in the little greenhouse without heat, but I don't think it will make it through that much cold without heat, so I am going to have to pick up some propane gas for Friday and Saturday night.

A few more plants will be moved out of there. Like the cranberry hibiscus which is in bloom (hoping for seeds) and some root bound tropical hibiscus as well as houseplant cuttings.

This winter is hitting with one big BANG!!!

P.S. I don't think we have ever had as much snow as what you see in Shepp's pictures. Pretty, but wow, it does make me shiver to see them.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Don't your kids get out for Christmas? Ours last day was on the 19th and they don't go back until the 3rd. Geez, writing that I just might be in the loony bin by then! I'm ready for spring too, and we just started getting snow. But then I try to look on the bright side, at least we didn't get it the first part of Nov. So only about 10 more weeks to go, yea!

Shepp,
    Sure looks like you could live right down the road or maybe over the river and through the woods.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

We must have hit the button at about the same time. It was 68 degrees when I arrived home today. Tomorrow is rainy, but not real cold.

-5 degrees? Perhaps my students would understand negative numbers better if they had to deal with negative temperatures.

It amazes me to think that people can live and work in those types of temperatures. How do poor people live? Some of them would freeze down here. They would have to open shelters just to keep people warm.

Oh, MY! That is amazing!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Here's the five-day forecast for little ol me:

5 day forecast

THU
    Snow/Wind (Snow, up to an accumulation of 6 to 8 inches, with much drifting and blowing)
    High: 23
    Low: 4

FRI

Partly Cloudy
    High: 10
    Low: -2 (Yep that is a minus sign, but local forecasters say it could be as low as -5, plus the wind chill factor!)

SAT

Partly Cloudy
    High: 13
    Low: 7

SUN

Partly Cloudy
    High: 28
    Low: 21

MON

Partly Cloudy
    High: 39
    Low: 29

"But baby it's cold outside"!

Rebecca

A little something to take your mind off the cold!
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Another diversion:
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Wow! Rebecca! How did you do that? It is really, really spaced OUT!!!!

It has been raining here all day long. The rain appears to be coming from the Gulf and meeting with snow around the Memphis line. Quite unusual weather....

Yesterday and today were half days for the kids. Only half of them showed up both days when normally it is rare for one to be absent. Teachers were not allowed to leave early. However, we were allocated 1 hour for lunch (normally we eat with the kids in a 20 minute timeframe). I had already eaten a sandwich with the kids so I didn't go to lunch. They said we could go an hour earlier if we didn't, but I had to much to do trying to double check grade entries for the end of the quarter.

It is about 67 degrees, and will only go down to 40 degrees tonight. Then the cold front will start bearing down on us. Really cold! I will post the temperatures when it gets closer to that time.

Please all, STAY WARM!

Wow! Rebecca! That is COOL!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

The more "spaced out" my mental faculties get the more wierd my "art" gets! I'd say it's about time for the men with the white jacket to come and take me away, hey, hey! LOL

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Awoke to find 8-inches of blowing drifting snow this morning. Oh goody.

All of the potted plants and the seedling bed have a lovely white blanket covering them, and for that I am grateful, especially since the temps will be below 0 for the next couple of nights and don't look to get above freezing for several days.

Good thing I don't have to be at work until 10 AM today, tomorrow, unfortunately I must be there at 8 AM, which means being out in -8 to -6 temps. NOT looking forward to that!

Snow cover wise, I have lucked out though, south of me, in the southern 1/3 of the state they have as much as 24-inches of this stuff!

Rebecca

I awoke to find the tarp blown off the roof, and the plastic on one side of the porch has ripped lose. The winds have gusted to more than 30 mph. They are gusting now at around 25 MPH and blowing a steady 17-18 mph. I can't fix it by myself with it blowing this hard. I don't have enough hands.

According to the weather station, it has been 32 degrees for a couple of hours. Everything looks okay, though. It is a lot warmeer inside the plastic despite the gap on the east side. The wind is blowing the plastic inward on the north and west side, but outward on the side that the strips of lath broke.

The latest forecast has raised the temperatures to above 20 degrees for the next two mornings, but still well below freezing. The forecast for potential snow flurries on Christmas Eve is no longer there. I think this front pushed through faster than anticipated.

It was only supposed to be 40 degrees this morning.

Our high for the next couple of days is less than 50 degrees.

It's nice to not have to go to work today...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My mother called me to report 28 degrees at her house. She now lives southwest of me, and I expected it to be warmer there.

My brother built her a small leanto. I haven't seen it yet, but she tells me it has a green polycarbonate top with clear sides. She didn't turn on the heater last night either because we didn't expect this much cold so soon. She couldn't get into it this morning because the door isn't painted yet, and it was swollen shut from all the rain.

It has just now gotten above 40 degrees. I watched the news, and the newly fallen snow is beautiful, but I feel for those who are trying to travel through a snow storm. Now, I am worried for all of you, just like you were for me...

Please, everyone stay SAFE and let us know!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

MIserable conditions

just spent 14 hours overtime on my day off trying to restore High Voltage Substations back in power. me and my crew got 0ne on.Boo
    snow then rain , ice everywhere.
    trees down not snapped like most storms like this , they were uprooted.1 in 3 trees in some areas .
    gotta go back in the morning to relieve those that relieved me this eve.
    indiana was stomped by record snowfall.19 inches . 15 dead half
    from carcrashes i guess.
    in the 4 counties near me 360,000 out of power.its a white christmas alright. in the dark with no heat. i feel for the elderly and the little ones.and all its going to do is keep dropping in temps .making even more difficult to get the power back on. christmas morn expected to be down to 5 below zero . i will take christmas in july any year.fireworks on the 24th of december .Winter sucks...
    what is really bad is when customers cuss us ,when its an act of God. we dont like it any better, lots of time we leave our families in the dark and cold to go put those same people back on first.
    Merry Christmas you all and to all a warm nite.

Blog Entries
    Those are some long hours ! You guys work hard in dangerous conditions that no one else would go out in !
    Keep warm, rest up and stay safe out there Shepp !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Talking Cold in Ohio????

Shepp

As an escapee from Ohio I had to jump in. I had tomatoes from my garden for thanksgiving. We have had a couple of frosts but daylilies and everblooming roses still in bloom. 64 here today. Guest room ready come on down.

Ann they predicted snow here too, if we got any I missed it.

Jim Lang
    Manning, SC

Hey Shepp--you and your gang are the heroes in my books. Going out while the storms are still raging, I can only cringe at the brutal conditions you guys work in.

Like Dazed Lily says, nobody else would work those kind of hours, then to cuss at you on top of it, yikes!!!

Sure hope it winds down so you can cozy up inside for Christmas...sounds like it's gonna be a close call tho...here's hoping for the best for you and all those in the storm's path.

Glen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast