+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snow for Christmas????

Snow for Christmas????

Accuweather.com is actually forecasting snow for Christmas on the Gulf Coast (HERE!). Can you believe that?

They are also forecasting snow for the day after Christmas.

That would be nice since school will be closed. We simply do not need to lose any more holidays to bad weather. And believe me, when it snows here, everything closes down. We do not have salt trucks or snow plows. It only snows once in 10 years here, and snow on Christmas would be highly unusual, but FUN!!!

SNOW!!! The very thought brings out the KID in ME!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Since snow isn't a phenomenon for us I can take it or leave it. Hate driving in it and love it when it blankets all the flower beds and stay throughout the winter. For the kid in you I hope you do get snow for Christmas!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    The Weatherman says no snow for us . That's OK with me but I am getting concerned with how dry the ground is. I planted 22 lily bulbs today, watered and mulched them. It was supposedly 50 degrees, but it sure felt like alot less than that with the wind. Tomorrow, and the rest of the week, temps fall to the 30's for a high and into the teens for lows. I was also supposed to have 30 liatrus bulbs by now to plant, but they are hung up in the mail. The good thing about that is that Liatrus bulbs can be frozen and stored that way. I'll probably keep them in the garage until we have another-ahem-50 degree day like today. I did water some iris and salvia that just looked too dry(and I even remembered to disconnect the hose from the house).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Ann,
    Sure wish you and Hunter could have some snow for Christmas or even just for a day or two. I imagine it would be fun for you and him. Maybe you could build another snowman We have had snow for about 4 days now, it is snowing now, so maybe we'll be adding a little more. We only have about 2".
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

i woke up to this

its 22║ right now , ten degrees this afternoon,windchill 5 to 10║below
    Attached Images  

The Sky is Falling

this started at 7 am ,its now 10:07 am.its dumping snow.
    Attached Images  

Rhododendrons when its cold

makes you shiver just to look at them.
    Attached Images  

more of the rhodo.

A look at another one that grows in full sun ,four years old.
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pix ! Ohio ? Right ?
    Ann- To get the full effect of these photos be sure to open your freezer door for a moment ! I say that because it is cold here right now, no snow, but even though that snow looks pretty--it is cold !

WoW! Shepp!!!

I get cold just looking at each of those pictures. Wow!

Actually, I don't know that I am ready for snow this year. Life has been too hectic already with school and Ivan. I am so far behind that I don't think it is possible to catch up around here.

Just about everything that is herbaceous has died to the ground. We are expecting a low of 24 degrees tonight. The wind is blowing hard.

Here is a picture of once was a huge red Passion Flower vine. Underneath are some old roses, crinums and one or two other vines that need to be propagated and relocated.

My pruning shears will be busy this winter....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I think we need a new weather man Ann. So far there is no snow in the forcast for us here. I would love to have some snow. It's a shame to have to endure all the cold without the added attractions of snow. Maybe I'll just have to take a trip north this year. With the forcast into the teens tonight I've brought some of the new cuttings from this summer that are still in small containers into the garage for a day or two until the temps go back up a bit.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Teens?

Gee! I am dreading less than 26 degrees for more than 5 hours. It's going to be really COLD at 6am, and I dread that because that is when I head out for school.

Am I crazy or what, but this winter seems to be a harder one even though it started a bit late. The cold weather seems to be more often.

I am ready for spring, already. I think I will pass on the snow...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It's 10degrees out with a wind=-13. I hope my poor little 1986 car starts so I can take the kindergartner to school. Accuweather predicted .01" of snow overnight and that's about what we got! I have to check and see how low the greenhouse gets!

Br-r-r-r-r-r
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Oh boy Sandi sounds like we are getting those low temps Thurs and Fri night: 3 degrees and 8 degrees ! Not sure about wind chill yet. Brrrrr!

Blog Entries
    Major winter storm headed my way; not only will we have a White Christmas, but we'll also feel like we've been transported to the NORTH POLE!

Guess WINTER HAS ARRIVED!

Shiver

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast