+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hard Winter? 20, 22, 23?????

Hard Winter? 20, 22, 23?????

I have to tell you that this cold front is going to come down hard on us. We have barely had frost. None of them have melted much yet.

But to be suddenly faced with a forecasted 20 degree low for the first real cold snap is a bummer.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, I managed to submit that post before I finished.

Hubby has ventured off to purchase some kerosene. I am insisting that we test the Kerosene heater the first time it is used this year. If anything is wrong, we need to know tonight.

He bought a new electric heater for the patio. I will let it run tomorrow in the new 'leanto' porch. If we can keep it warm enough during the day, then the ground warmth will not be lost so bad. I think...

I don't know how well this structure will hold up with minimal heat. The kerosene heater does a really good job, but 20-23 degrees is mighty cold for us.

I don't think my plants would survive an 8 degree low. We have had those, but they are very rare. Hopefully, it will not happen this year. Right now, I am beginning to wonder if that will be possible. This is later for a first freeze, but such a hard one.

The trees, like the pecans and the weeping willow are still confused after Ivan. Perhaps this will put them to rest. Surely, they need it after the beating they took. The willow still has very few leaves. They were whipped off by the strong winds.

Hunter and I sure wouldn't mind having some snow. School would be closed, and we would have a blast.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Down into the teens for us tonight so all the evergreen daylilies will probably be mush by morning. Fortunately I don't have any tender plants still outside, but I'd be hard pressed to trust them to a new structure with an untested heating system - I'de be finding a way to get them in the house! Especially the less forgiving ones.

Here's an idea for adding supplimental heat to your lean-to: 5-gallon buckets filled with warm water and heated with the submersable type aquarium heaters. Set them in the middle of groups of plants and tent the entire area before sundown. Remove the tents in the morning. You'd be surprised how warm it will keep the immediate area around the plants.

BTW, 20-22-23 IS cold! Even for us Northerners! Burr! I get cold when the temps drop below 60, so there ya go!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

how about 15║ tonite. wind chill lower than that. tomorrows high 33║ wed nite 19║for a low.
    You girls are gonna have to tuffen up a little.
    i still dont have coldframes covered.
    right here where i live as i drove down the dead end road i live on there was very little snow untill i turned the bend where my place is . it was so weird the snow was more than an inch deep for about 300 foot stretch of my road and everything around the nursery . the greenhouse had avalanches on the plastic.
    spring is it only 100 days away.

Call Me a WHIMP!!!!

That is what I am when it comes to freezing cold.

It was 41 degrees just before dark. Within 30 minutes, it dropped to 36 degrees which is still where it stands.

The kerosene heater is now turned up in the porch/leanto. The new electric heater is turned on and will be turned to higher before I go to bed.

I do hate the smell of kerosene, but the heater works so very well...

I started to say 'Wish me luck through the night', but then I thought of my kids. Many live in drafty homes with little or no heat. Quite a few of them live with Aunt's, Uncles, grandparents who also have difficulty heating their homes.

I pray for those who are very cold and do not have the comfort of central air/heat that I do...

My plants will survive, and if they don't, I can replace them. I just hate to see young ones suffer. Some of my high school students last year were living in cars.

I thank God for what I have....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Amen to that, Ann. We who are warm with roofs over our heads and food in our bellies really are blessed and blessed again.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

+ Reply to Thread