+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hippeastrum Aphrodite

Blog Entries

Hippeastrum Aphrodite

As promised, images of double flowering Dutch Hybrid Amaryllis 'APHRODITE'! First image was taken with flash, but only because I forgot to turn it off! Flash generally washes all the color out when I'm doing close work, must have been darker in the basement than I thought!

Second image is the best of those taken under "natural" or available light, Even with compensating for flourescent lighting, it's still a bit "warm". Still a nice shot. BTW, this bloom measured nearly 9-inches across!

Enjoy!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Neat, Rebecca! Isn't it amazing what a difference light makes. My camera compensates for flourescent, etc., but I haven't had time to get good enough at it to be able to switch back and forth.

I still have several new doubles in bloom. The older ones will not bloom until spring because they stay outside until after the first frost.

Lady Jane is one of my true favorites, but as I say that, I think about Philadelphia and Appleblossom, and I could go on and on... Oh, Gosh! Do I really have a favorite? I think my favorite must be whatever is in bloom at the time.

They are all fantistic and a joy!!!

I did manage to get Aphrodite this year. It is the first year that I had it. I have pollinated all of the new doubles, but it is a wait and see if the pollination takes. Some doubles have a more pronounced stigma than others.

I suspect that the reproductive parts develop better under natural outdoor light, but that is just a suspicion based on my recent experiences right now.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    My camera is supposed to compensate for the lighting and it does, if I use the flash! When using available light, there will still be some color shift, but it really isn't too bad and I always run the images through Photo Shop to take care of lighting and color balance.

I still rather like ELVAS and PROMISE a bit more that these last two new ones. they are a lot more distinctive in their coloration and patterning.

Would like to know where my LADY JANE is! Along with a few others that haven't bloomed for a couple of years! I must get better at keeping tags in the pots!

The selfing I did on Philly didn't take, either it is self infertile or I didn't catch it at the right time. No matter though as I haven't any room to grow yet more seedlings, let alone Amaryllis!

Promise is still actively growing and showing no real signs of wanting to go dormant. Papillon is coming into active growth again so I may go ahead and re-pot it. Three 2 1/2-inch diameter bulbs in one little 6-inch pot doesn't leave much room for good root development! Sure would like to see it bloom again!

I'm off to the basement to dose the daylily seedlings and prolifs (that I didn't stick back outside) that are infested with something - larval stage white flies I think. I am hoping the Bayer All-In-One will take care of it BEFORE time to start the new crop of seeds.

On a side note, I took cuttings from my three different colors of Budleias today. They were all still quite happy and healthy looking plants in spite of having been throw several frosts and a freeze or two. Used Rootenone on them and have my fingers crossed that a few of each will root and grow for me. I have no idea about where I will plant them in the garden and may use them as "Bonus" plants for Spring Shipments of Daylilies. Darned shame they are a short lived shrub up here. Three seasons is about the best I can hope for, even with deep mulch.

Later!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

NEW 'APHRODITE' IMAGES

A second bloom was open today so thought I'd show y'all a few more images.

This first images shows both blooms and if you look carefully, you can see a third bud that should open in a few more days.

The next image is an extreme close-up:

This one shows the lovely picoted edge on APRODITE:

This last image shows the candy striping and stippling on the petals:

Enjoy!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Rebecca- Thank you for this photo. I went to WM at lunch thinking I'd buy either Philadelphia or Double Record when I discovered that they also had: Aphrodite, Pasadena , Lady Jane and Red Peacock. Uh oh ! I hadn't planned on that ! But I have to say that Aphrodite caught my interest, and I found it to be almost a blend of Phila and DR. I do like the picotee. Anyway, when I got back to the office, I did an internet serach and found some unflattering Aphrodite pix. I had just proclaimed that I had bought a dog when I did a Landspro search and found your pix ! I definitely did NOT buy a dog. However, guess where WallyWorld had these ?
    Outside--in a cement block enclosed area but still outside ! That concerns me. Between yesterday and today they reduced the price by $1--today they are $4. The other reason I bought Aprodite is because most all of the bulbs were just so tortured. They are in plastic mesh bags and most had grown--some even tried to bloom. And they had dried roots. If I buy any others it will be an act of mercy and they will have to discount them even more for me to do that. Since they decreased by $1 in 1 day, I'll check back again tomorrow and through next week(unless they yank them this weekend). As I type in my cubicle, I am joined by a black and orange bug crawling on my keyboard--he picked the right cubicle-I won't evict him-he reminds me of the prospect of spring !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I would be hard pressed to say which one that I like the most because the one that is in bloom now is the one that I like the most.

I think it also depends on the conditions given at bloom time. The ones that bloom in more sun outside have shorter stalks and bigger blooms. Once they start to bloom, and they are brought inside, they are gorgeous.

Those that are forced and inside tend to be taller and the blooms are not as big.

No matter what, they are all GORGEOUS!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I'd be very hesitant about buying amaryllis bulbs that had been stored outside in a block building, especially if it were unheated. Now if you were in the South, that'd be a different story!

Here's a link that shows photos of some of the ones you mentioned and others may be present elsewhere on their site.

http://www.amaryllis.com/cat/2/

Another good source is John Scheepers Bulbs. They have some of the best photography I've seen on-line.

http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview...s:HybridDouble

Still, iof the bulbs are firm and hard, they'd make a good investment, even if they aren't marked down any more.. On one of these amaryllis threads I've given details on how to care for amaryllis bulbs that have lost all their roots, so look through them, I think it was on the "generic" AMARYLLIS thread.

I had opportunity to see what we had left today and there were only three, one APPLEBLOSSOM and two RED LIONS packaged withthe large glass vase for growing them with water only. They really do not do well this way. They were only marked down to $8.50 and since I already have more of those two than I know what to do with, it wouldn't have been a good investment for me! Besides, I'd be planting them in soil, so the vase would be an unnecessary expense for me!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    OK. I went back to WM at lunch today and went thru each and every amaryllis bag trying to find the best of the worst. They were still at $4. I also picked up two 3 packs of lily bulbs-Camelot and Gran Cru(to join the ones from Rebecca); they were $1. I wasn't happy with paying $4 bucks for the Amaryllis, so I told the cashier and she called 'a member of management'
    Ol 'Larry' came over and I launched into the spiel about how they are outside and shouldn't freeze and how they are one step from the trash bin and how they have no roots and I'll have to put rooting hormone on them and maybe they will grow. He said to the cashier, give them to her for $5 apiece I told him 'but they are $4 right now'. He said , "oh, OK, $2". (The original price on the bag was $6.73 and he was going off of that). I'd have preferred $1 but figured what the heck ! So now I have: Lady Jane, Philadelphia and Double Record. Double Record is kinda funky looking as it has a pup(and bllomed in the bag) but it had green showing at the bottom and I thought this bulb's got some spunk left in it. And of course the other two had signs of spunk as well(and one had flowered in the bag as well-that's not asign of spunk however just an indication of how far gone they were).
    Tell you what Rebecca, if I can nurse Double Record back to health(and I will search your post on coaxing root growth,etc.)--I will send it to you !
    So, now my Amaryllis buying frenzy is over !

Update: I planted all 3- first dusting with rooting hormone. And then, the unthinkable--off with their shoots !
    Lady Jane had a bloom that I could gently open petal by petal, I put it in water and I can at least enjoy that.
    Looks like some leaf growth which will be good-sorta like solar panels collecting energy for the bulb. What a great learning experience ! I hope they all make it.

Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-17-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Now you guys just stop it!!

I've had the occasional Amaryllis over the years and back in 1957 had a back yard full of them in SanDiego. I saw them like poinsettias--it's just easier to chuck them and get new next year

Now, I see possibilities of many different plants in pots just kind of arranged in a cluster for color in Dec.-Jan. Do you suppose I can find some just about to bloom out there somewhere?

What are we doing in early spring? Probably time to bring in the potted bulbs a few at a tiime. Well, I have a huge sack of impulse bulbs out in a sack outside. I think I will take them into the coldframe, pot them up, and see what happens.

I have learned so much from you folks on these forums. How I wish I had had access to them ten years ago.

Thanks all of you. My your CHRISTmas be blessed and the New Year prosperous!! You are my friends.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Sandi- You asked about where to find some just about to bloom...you're gonna love this answer....WM ! The ones in the boxes are $3 apiece and if you don't mind opening several you might be rewarded by one about to bloom. Also, my WM had some potted ones in bloom for about $5. Seems like every WM does their own thing when it comes to plants--since they mostly rely on local suppliers results may vary. I would suspect that everything will disappear after Christmas though. Less than 2 months to daylily sowing time ! Then I'll be looking for peat pellets-LOL!
    Merry Christmas to you as well and to all in the friendly Village of Landspro !

Blog Entries
    Cat,

I have no doubts that you will be able to bring these bulbs back to life!

Did you take time to check out some of the different ones pictured at Amaryllis.com and John Scheepers? John's got some to die for, too bad they are sold out for this season! His prices are actually pretty reasonable too. Dutch Gardens didn't have squat and they wanted more for what they did have than Scheeper's. I may have to hide some of my tax refund this spring so I can add a few really new ones to my collection. I'd like to have 'GREEN GODDESS', 'LEMON LIME', a couple of the "CYBISTER" Hybrids, and several more I can't recall the names of! My H. papilio is still waiting to be moved on to a bigger pot. I have a few bigger clay pots out front that had annuals in them this summer, so I may try to remember to bring them inside along with some potting mix (to thaw it out) and move papilio on my next day off.

I'm having a major computer problem right now, I've lost my color, sound and heaven only knows what else! I've done what I know to do to try to fix it, but it looks like it will be quite awhile before I can take it to a tech to have it looked at. Rats!

Can't do any "art work", not with this thing only showing 16 colors! Fortunately I have lots of blank CD's so I can down-load all of my files to incase I have to run the restore disc.

If it isn't one thing going wrong here it's another.

If I don't get back in before I wish all y'all a very Blessed Christmas!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca!!!!

Please do what you can to stay online. I would miss you too much... I will have a little over a week off, and I hope to chat as much as possible.

The porch is now packed. I moved the Coleus from the garage into the enclosed porch. I don't know that they will make it, but I do know that I want to take cuttings from each for next year. The original plants get rather ragged and too old over the winter.

I have protected all of my Amaryllis again. Some are going in the little greenhouse which I will not heat this winter. My plans are to put them in the gardens this spring.

I noticed that Amaryllis Johnsonii that planted itself somehow (probably a piece fell out of the bag when transported from TX) that is located near the fireplace didn't melt yet like the ones next to the little greenhouse. I suspect this will be a good place to start an Amaryllis bed. As long as the fireplace does not come crashing down in the next hurricane !!!

I still have some newly purchased Amaryllis developing blooms. The older ones will not bloom until spring because I didn't force them. They spend most of the year outside.

I have lots and lots of babies, some seedlings and some cuttings. Most have lost their labels. I have labels still scattered all over in an area under where the tree fell. There is simply too much to do and too little time...

I think I was crazy to let them talk me into Saturday school, but I enjoyed it today. I set the Pre-Algebra students' accounts up for online, interactive textbook, and they really like it.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

So far I can still connect to the INTERNET, but having to deal with only 16 colors is awful - no real color and images of flowers are very strange looking, similar to being in "SAFE MODE", only not a sharp. If you remember the old dot-matrix printers, imagine everything looking like that.

I have tried a dozen or more times to re-set the video display but it just won't "take". You should be able to click anywhere there is a blank space on the desktop to adjust the video settings, but it won't come up so I have to go through the control panel to "display" and then on to advanced setting to try to come up with the right controller. Something wiped all of that out, even sound. Everything was working fine until I visited a friends personal page at Garden Web. This isn't the first time I've had computer problems after a visit there, but this is certainly the worst adverse effects there has ever been. Makes me wonder if old "Spite" has done something to target certain IPS addresses. I wouldn't put it past him! I've run my anti-virus program and and spy ware, even deleted all of my cookies. I suppose the next step is to contact Tech Support and see if there is something else I can do before I call in the local tech center. I think they charge $50 just to look at your CPU! Definitely $$ I do not have these days.

It's been a long, rough day, so will wish all y'all a good night!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

The one that I labeled Aphrodite does not have as much coloring as yours, but that may have to do with the amount of light that it was receiving. I moved it to a brighter location.

This one just opened...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Sure wish I see that in "true color". Shape is very nice, what "color" I do see seems predominately in the center of the flower with very little picotee or petal blushing (at least I can't see it. Since you are seeing all the colors, check your APHRODITE against 'NYMPH' , I think it is on John Scheeper's site (link above)

Rebecca

http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview...s:HybridDouble
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast