+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost Cassia??????

Lost Cassia??????

Every year, I watch to see if this plant that I grew from a single cutting springs back after the cold of the winter. It doesn't bloom until early winter, and I must say that I planted it in the wrong spot. I didn't know what it was or how hardy it was, so I planted it near the neighbor's young pine which is no longer young.

It tends to ramble and ramble it has.... Just like the Lady Banks rose, it has rambled amongst the branches of the neighbor's pine in search of sun light.

On the way home from school today, I noticed them in yards here and there. They are in full bloom.

When I got home, I looked and looked and finally spotted the leaves, but no flowers. As I walked along the back fence line, I turned around and looked back at that pine, and I spotted the blooms. They were barely visible above the second lowermost branches of the pine.

See if you can spot them...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is a zoom....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I went to the garage, grabbed a rake and then managed to get two branches to fall so that I could reach them. One of the branches broke. I will propagate that one, and this time it will be planted in full sun.

Here is a closeup of the blooms of Christmas Cassia...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

That is nice, very nice. And another neat plant that you can grow, but I can't The flower structure is very interesting and unusual! Definitely put this cutting in the sun and preferably on a fence so when it begins to bloom you'll be able to see them in all their glory!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I do believe it would look best if left to ramble along side my fence. It is now planted by the fence, but when I planted it, the neighbor's pine tree was a tiny thing. I figured that their pine tree would grown tall and not so wide like the Southern pine, but I figured wrong. The pine tree is a special one. My neighbor was an engineer for International Paper who hybridized this fast growing, sturdy pine tree which seems to grow very few and smaller than our normal (huge) pine cones.

Go figure...

Anyway, that pine is now providing me with a corner of the fence that will be changed to a mostly shade garden. You can see the lost branches and needles caused by Ivan on the left side. That is the North side.

It's a beautiful tree, and some day I will try growing a seed from one of the cones (if the squirrels don't get to them before me).

Back to the Cassia... Most of the ones that I see in landscapes are pruned heavily I like the more natural rambling form.

Now, don't forget that you can grow Columbine, Lilac and lots of other things that are difficult to grow here. Also, all of those beautiful firs and spruces that do not do well here... I could go on and on! And that fall color in the leaves! We have a little, but not in masses like you see up north.

And, Gee! If it's gotta freeze, it sure would be nice to get a little of that soft white stuff that we rarely get to see!

I've gotta admit that I like my climate. It's home and where I was born. I'll put up with the occasional hurricanes and tropical storms as long as my family is SAFE!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread