+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chance of Frost

Shepp,

I am not sure what they are calling white plastic. Is it truly white? You cannot see through it at all? The plastic used here is not exactly clear, but it is not white either. I do like the clear that is on the patio because my patio is part of the main roof and being on the east side, it needs all the sunlight it can get. The same will hold true for the new porch.

I think you are right about the shade cloth. We get some really warm days in the winter, and I won't always be here to open theGH/CF.

If I understand correctly, the biggest difference in your GH and CF is that the CF has a lower height. That would help cut heating cost in the winter which is a concern for those really cold nights.

All I really need is protection from freezes on about 12-20 nights of the year, sometimes fewer, sometimes more. The nights that go below 28 degrees are the worst ones. That allows the GH enough time to cool down to freezing in the early AM.

Sandi, I like the idea of rolling up the sides. Sounds easy and convenient.

Gotta get busy finding that plastic. The wind is dieing down just a bit. 35-38 tonight, but a possible 25 Wednesday morning. It has to be buckled down tight and a heater installed for that last one. Propane for the little GH and Kerosene for the new patio.

Oh, well... I dread the melted blooms and plants, but as long as we don't get a record breaking low, I do believe all will be okay.

I do wish that I had time and space to make lots of cuttings before the meltdown, but time is my biggest problem.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

its sure enuf white plastic.light comes thru but you cant see thru it.some coldframes are just as big as GH's
    i dont heat my CF's i am sure some do.i cant afford to.

I understand. I may not heat my little GH this winter. I need to remove a few tropicals that would not like that much cold, other than that, I will probably just let a few sub-tropicals go dormant in there.

It is 45 degrees and dropping fast. The wind has died down to almost nothing. I hope it stays that way because the plastic was too heavy to handle by myself. I ended up folding the 20' X 16' blue tarps that FEMA gave us and throwing those over plants. I added some blankets and comforters on the last group.

It is doubtful that frost will hit under the new porch. The heat from the ground will be trapped by the top, I hope. One never really knows. As long as the wind stays down, it will not be so cold.

Well, then something funny happened. I turned around to look at the thermometer on the patio wall, and it was gone. I just froze. It never occured to me that the jolt from the tree shook it from the place where it had hung for over 10 years. But it was gone. Then I saw it behind one of the patio plants. I could barely tell that it is 50 degrees on the patio. Or at least I think that is what it says.

Looking for it was a reminder that winter is here...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It was 34 degrees this morning according to the weather station. There are a few plants that are frost bitten, but for the most part, everthing looks great. Lots of blooms for the next couple of days anyway.

Remember, the trimwork and painting is not complete on the porch. Here is a pic of what it looks like now. My brother will be coming over in a little bit to help install the plastic. In the meantime, I need to remove the tarps and blankets....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Almost Done...

weather.com says 25 and accuweather.com predicts 22 for Wednesday morning. 32 degrees Tues and Thurs am.

It's almost done! What I like the most is that I will have access to this from the inside of the house. I will not have to go out into the bitter (don't make fun) cold to check on everything.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wow Anne. It is sure nice. You can put a lot of plants in there.
    We have been only in the 30's in the day and the teens at night. I hate the cold. Makes my gardener bones hurt.
    Everything here is definately dormant now. Can't wait for spring.
    tennessee sue

It WORKED!!!!

Some stations said that it was 24 degrees when I got up at 5am. Others said it was 26 and 27, so who knows for sure. I don't trust the thermometer outside anymore. It took a beating.

Hunter is sick. I came home around noon. Many things are melted. Some melted leaves are just drooping green. Others have turned brown.

The only flowers that remain are the antque roses and camelias. The outermost camelias look yukky, but those inside the bushes are fine.

The next two posts will contain pictures of my pink brugsmansia. The first is a picture of the one in the garden (unprotected). The second is a picture of one of the ones that is still in a pot and located on the northwest (coldest) portion of the newly enclosed porch.

I am pleased, but I do hate the smell of kerosene....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Brugsmansia After Freezing...

It is now about 51 degrees. They are forecasting a light freeze tonight. Sunday and Monday nights are predicted to be in the mid 20's again.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Protected Brugsmansia...

I had to lift some of the big leaves so that I could focus on the developing flowers. I want to try to hand pollinate these because the ones outside never did produce any pods.

I plan to take cuttings of these before planting them in the gardens this spring. They are about 6' tall.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And THIS...

is the Amaryllis that I moved to the patio. I left the patio door open to the porch. The new electric heater was placed 3 feet inside the patio door facing toward the porch. I felt that if I could just manage to keep the porch warm, the patio (in between the house and the porch) would stay plenty warm, and it seemed to have worked just fine.

Still in gorgeous bloom, as Rebecca identified it, PROMISE!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I had to ZOOM

on Amaryllis Promise because there are too many plants in front of it!!!!

Here is the Thunbergia Grandiflora that was so beatiful and cover with clusters of blooms before the freeze.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tibouchina...

Maybe it is alive enough for cuttings, but I think I will wait till spring. I am out of space.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hibiscus....

This one dies to the ground. It is subtropical.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Clerodendrum...

This is also herbaceous... It is the one with the clusters of tiny multi-blue flowers.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Frozen Camelia Bloom...

Most look like this...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3