+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chance of Frost

Chance of Frost

tonight and tomorrow night...

Coleus and hanging baskets are back inside!

That is the best I can do.

Gee, I am still not ready for this cold. 45 degrees outside right now.

I am certainly not ready for Christmas!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Microclimate Changes...

I am not sure yet, but I think my little microclimate has changed for the better.

37 degrees... Frost on top of the car, frost on the roof, but none at the ground level (that I could see anyway).

It was dark when I arrived home today, so I will not know what damage for a few more days. I have been 'roped' into teaching Saturday school this weekend. It remains to be seen if they up the pay enough for me to do it every Saturday morning. If they do, I hope others will volunteer.

Don't get me wrong, but if I were to teach Saturday school, I sure would rather it be closer to home (less travel time, less gas).

Framework on my new leanto/porch has begun...

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, sounds like you're having a heat wave. We have been in the 20's. It looked like snow the other night when I got off work,but only frost.
    Just kidding about your heat wave. We are supposed to get back up in the 60's this week. It won't last long. We have already had a few killing freezes.
    tennessee sue

Hey, Sue!

Actually, our weather has been running more along the average rather than the early frost and freezes that we have had the last couple of years.

Here's a link (if this continues to work...)

http://www.weather.com/activities/ot...ml?locid=36695

The difficult part for us is that sometimes we need heat in the morning and air conditioning in the afternoon. Explain that to the school maintenance crew who seem to think that either heater or air should be on in a given day. My kids come into school all bundled up, and by the end of the day, they are sweating bullets. I understand because I feel the same way.

Anyway, I am enjoying the milder temps with only light frosts, but that will not last much longer. My new back porch is almost completed. Tonight, my brother came back over to help install some tarp given to us by FEMA to cover the bare plywood because it looks like storms tomorrow.

I tried to take some pictures, but they didn't turn out, so it will have to wait until the rain goes away.

I am so very excited about this new porch. It will have a dirt floor and will be sort of rustic, but it looks nice. The best part is that it will be easy to install plastic for a few months, then remove it.

Even better, it will block the rain on the patio, so I can remove that plastic and just leave the screen and allow more cool breeze in the summer. Also, it is wood framed, so there will be lots of places to adorn it with my beautiful and treasured hanging baskets.

Why a dirt floor? Because in my climate, it is easier to maintain and water my plants without having to worry about water on cement. I will put down landscape fabric and cover it with cypress mulch. That is sufficient for me.

Best part (other than winter protection) is that the covered roof will provide permanent shade to replace the filtered shade from the lost pecan tree. I do miss my old tree.

Did I say that I am excited?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, sounds like a perfect solution. I know you are anxious to get it finished.
    We are also needing heat in the morning and warming up in the afternoon ( to the upper 50 or maybe 60. Never know how to dress.
    Pictures are awaited when porch is done.
    tennessee sue

If you can click on the link in the previous post, then try clicking on record highs and lows and see the extremes.

It's sort of scary, but neat just the same to get the extreme temps for an area.

I like this site despite all their ads.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Gee, Sue! I think we were posting at the same time.

Tonight, I was reminded of when Hunter was 5, and he wouldn't fall asleep without my telling him stories and singing. In fact, he screamed bloody murder if I got out of his site. My little nephew is here tonight, and he was fine until he became sleepy and wanted to go home. Hunter reminded me about the frog story. Amazing that he should remember that....

All the little ones are now tucked and asleep, and I will not be far behind.

I think you will like the porch, Sue. It is sort of rustic, not cheap, not terribly expensive, but a good start and will suffice to protect my plants for now...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I'm really looking forward to seeing the porch. I will be doing something of that order near my new quarters.

We will start converting the garage into my domain in the next week or so. Then in front where the cars now reside, I will put up a little picket-type fence and gate with a pergola on top. I may cover it with fiberglass (hidden in the pergola) or not--haven't decided. I'll probably use your idea of wood chips until I can afford paving bricks of some kind. Since I will probably build in-ground borders.

I love to plan and build, don't you? Whatever will I do when it's all in place? I've never lived anywhere long enough to find out!!!

I really really appreciate all the pictures of the flowers, etc. Some of them are just stunning. I hope I will be able to send some along in the near future of my little hoop house, then even more pix of the flowers next summer. (Do you realize that in only a couple weeks, we will be referring to "this summer?") SIGH

Hope you all have a blessed Christmas. I try hard to stay focused on the meaning.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Mine will not be completely 'finished out' this year. This is primarily due to lack of time and daylight AND too much rain. We are now up to 73 inches for the year, and if you will recall, we had a long drought.

It rained a slow rain last night until an hour or so ago.

Here's a few pics, but don't laugh
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another view....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Still another...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, it looks good. You'll enjoy it a lot--that is if you leave enough room for people!!
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

We have a couple of light frost chances between now and then, but we are forecasted for a freeze (less than 32 degrees) on Tuesday morning.

My brother finished the tar paper and rolled shingles (by himself) this week. I don't know what I would do without him! His work on this project is a Christmas gift for me, and needless to say that I am thrilled.

I teach school in the morning until noon, but as soon as I get home, I will be moving plants to this location. Then it is a matter of applying plastic. This year, I will be applying two layers because it is not the good greenhouse plastic. It is the stuff left over from last year which started splitting before the last frost.

It will suffice, though for this year. I hope. As long as we do not get a record low.

I do not worry as much about the amount of light as I do about the amount of moisture and preventing the plants from freezing. The coleus are the hardest challenge because they are true annuals and will do their best to produce seed then die.

Hopefully, I will have a chance to make lots of cuttings of the coleus. Some of the ones I have collected are my favorites. Most of them are sun loving coleus which is good because after losing 8 of 9 old pecan trees over the years, I am lacking in shade. Besides, they are pretty and grow HUGE in no time.

I'm going to miss my blooms, but I must admit that it is time to prune back and start doing some digging to prepare my beds for a new look.

Somehow, someway, I will find the space to keep take some cuttings of my brugsmansia that will die back. They do look great in masses, but die back to the ground every year.

Shepp, that cold frame is looking better and better, and if we get the raise they are talking about, it is a MUST!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

i just posted on another thread , while doing so i am watching the weather service radar , looks like snow in the next few minutes .i dont see any looking out of the window. when i went out to feed the woodburning monster it was a fine rain , i thought then it feels like its going to turn.barometric pressure was holding steady since last nite. so whatever weather i get today just means a sloppy day.
    i have been dragging my feet covering the coldframes.if i had done it sooner i would have missed the mild weather and the free waterings , along with some frosts and hard freezes in the mornings. rain gauge has been dumped several times in the past 30 days ,maybe close to or past 3 inches.if it would stay like this all winter i wouldnt cover the CF at all.
    Ann in your locale i think i would put up a higher side CF/GH than i use.
    double duty it as a CF/GH/SH for cooling reasons. winter/CF summer/GH / shadehouse and get reflective shade cloth from Dewitt.
    shade cloth could stay on 24/7/365 and slide the plastic over that for the winter.you really shouldnt need white plastic in the winter.

My hoophouses (one in WA and one here) have roll up sides and removable doors. I left the plastic (6milUV) on all year. In WA I didn't need the shade cloth because extreme temps are quite rare, but I did open it up as much as possible. I could use it to grow hot weather crops and my salad mix. Here (hot and humid) I will open it up and cover with 50% shade cloth. May put in eggplant and peppers. The roll up sides allow for night protection during fall and spring.

We have been extremely mild here all fall. Had two hard frosts but mostly easy temps. It was 60o here the other day!! Plenty of rain, however. If indeed it all evens out over time, I dread dread dread Jan and Feb!!
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast