+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soon to be December Blooms

Blog Entries
    ALTERNATE IMAGE:
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cathy,

The Christmas cactus does adore bright indirect sun. I take them outside as soon as there is no threat of frost, and I hang them on the rods on the North side of my home. There is a 2 foot eave, so they never get direct sunlight, but they do get a lot of filtered and indirect sun.

They don't like sitting in water, and they also do not like being totally dried out for a long time. When they shrivel up, it is usually because they are too dry.

I use regular potting mix because I am not one to overwater. Just make sure that any excess moisture flows readily through the pot.

Some say that they do not like to be moved too much, but the one in the picture was moved from outside to inside the patio, and it didn't seem to hurt it any. In fact it is several years old, and I have taken many, many cuttings from it. Actually, they are not cuttings, but instead, I twist the segments, then pot them. Your community pots would be great for that.

I have left it outside when the temps were really cool, about 38 degrees, but I don't dare chance a frost.

The Easter cactus is not as easy. You cannot ever let it dry out.

I do enjoy my Christmas cactus. Do a search on it, and you will find some earlier threads.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rebecca!

How pretty! I like the framed one the best!

I do believe we have an artist in our presence.

You are a JOY!

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vicki!

This is for you...

Like I said, the plant is looking lanky right about now. It is a shrub that is about 5-6 foot tall. Most of the stems are leaning downward, and so many of the blooms were lost.

But, I do enjoy seeing what is left and the bees and little critters that love these little clusters of blooms as much as I do....

Someone remind me to prune this baby next year, so that it will bush out more and produce more clusters of these tiny blooms!!!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My favorite and not so uncommon camelia... This one is normally grafted, and is so doubled that I have never seen seeds. It is a dense shrub, and evergreen. Sorry about the blurr. I should have put the camera in sport mode. North winds are blowing hard, but you get the idea. Filled with buds right now...

Not such a great picture, and the blooms are not a deep red yet because it is still cool, not cold. This one blooms all winter long. The blooms are bitten by the freezes, but there are so many buds...

I heard or read somewhere that they are working on developing a cold hardy camelia hybrid.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

From Spring to Frost...

I have mentioned this one many times. It just keeps blooming and spreading. The only problem is that the stems are lanky and fall downward, and it does not form a dense clump.

Someday, I will figure out what to plant with it that will blend naturally and add support and fullness.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Beautiful!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Ann,
    Beautiful and more beautiful. Thanks!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I take it this is a vining plant? If so, combine it with a Clematis with complimentary colored blooms. If it isn't a vining plant, let me get back to you! I'll think on it awhile longer! LOL!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Hey, Rebecca!

It is more like a scrambling vine. The stems are not strong and tend to flop over to the side with the weight of the blooms. The 'vines' are 3-4 foot long (no more).

The plant multiplies which makes it spread out over an area, but it is not very dense in vegetation.

It does best in full sun, and I have to keep the Clematis in filtered sun due to our heat.

You would love it. It just blooms and blooms and blooms.

BTW, most of my 'young' Clematis vines appear to have survived. I can't tell for sure because they are amongst the houseplants that are still in full sun (awaiting the leanto/porch) to be completed.

We had a not so light frost this morning. Actually, there was ice on my windshield where the dew froze at the last minute. No frost on the hood, but frost on the ground in many areas and heavy frost on the roof.

My plants still outside were bitten, but not killed...

The coleus came back inside as well as the special hanging baskets.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2