+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be December Blooms

Soon to be December Blooms

I can't believe that the last frost did so little damage!

I still have lots of blooms, and cross my fingers because right now it looks like we just may be spared for the next two weeks.

Wouldn't that be a nice Christmas present? In fact, it would be nice if the 12 days before Christmas were all frost free.

I need that! The leanto is going to be replaced with a porch, and the sides of the porch will be covered in plastic.

Now, what to do about the cost of fuel to heat the area?

I'm going to share some blooms in the posts to follow....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

An Antique Rose

That either came up from the roots or soil layered (by itself). I see no trace of a branch to this pretty little thing, so your guess is as good as mine.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My Clerodendrum is still in bloom...

It is hosting numerous lady bugs. I tried to get a picture, but the wind was blowing too hard and the lady bugs were moving too fast.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Now, let's see...

The Thunbergia Grandiflora is smothered with clusters of blooms. The camelias are loaded with buds that are opening more and more. There are still many, many roses opened.

Now and then, there is a new hibiscus bloom or two or three.

The is my grandmother's azalea... Actually, it is a florist azalea from her funeral, and it is quite miniature. It never gets over about 8 inches high. The blooms are doubled and quite large considering the size of the plant.

Anyway, it is special, and I am always happy to see it survive the winter, and even happier to see it in bloom.

Memories...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Where's the rest of the pics? The camellias and the Thunbergia Grandiflora. I just love seeing your pretty blooms. Thanks
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Ann, You are so fortunate to be where plants are still blooming! Too bad the wind had to be blowing as I would love to see a picture of the Clerodendrum. That's the one that reminds me of a Royal Blue Butterfly, would be nice if they were hardy this far North!

The Remembrance Azalea wouldn't make it at all up here and I have to wait until Spring to see my Azaleas bloom, but I did plant two new ones, Auxbury Hybrids. They were actually rescued from work, just had to pay for the privilege of bringing them back to life! LOL. Both have set buds for their Spring show although one will have a bigger display than the other. I also have a Red evergreen one and the dwarf Rhododendron. These will all bloom at about the same time and be followed by the regular Rhodes. Of the five I have it looks like two will be having a nice show, a third one keeps insisting on opening about half it's buds in late summer, but it will bloom the remaining buds out in late Spring. The pink one doesn't look very happy and the fiery red has some sort of a necrosis going on.

There are a few scattered mums with a single bright bloom here and there and the Flowering Cabbages and Kales all have great color and look pretty good as long as you don't get too close!

While out cutting back the spent annuals I spied a new scape on 'Red Magic', too little too late though as the last freeze we had more or less took care of it. Stella still has a few buds and since it's on the South side of the house they may open.

Here's a watercolor of the white Rhodo:

Enjoy!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I didn't think the picture came out very good, but we will give it a try...

Thunbergia Grandiflora
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

From my neighbor's side....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

There is a red passiflora vine mingling with the Thunbergia...

Here is a pink camelia....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And the Christmas cactus hanging baskets are starting to bloom more and more...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I see lots of strange things like this houseplant. I don't know if this is from the roots or was a vine hanging over and touching the ground before the storm.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rebecca,

I didn't get home in time to take a picture of the entire Clerodendrum. It is dark when I get home.

Right now, it is tall and lanky and still missing a lot of leaves. The leaves are huge compared to the tiny blossoms where are in clusters.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Your Pink Camilla is so pretty, wish they'd survive up here or I had a greenhouse!

Neat Nephytis (sp?), pro baby broke off of one that was hanging down, unless you are in the habit of using them as a ground cover!

Looks like the neighbor has the better view of your Thunbergia Grandiflora! That's another one that wouldn't survive here. See how lucky you are! You have such a wider variety of plants that will winter over in your zone and do well in spite of Mother Nature's wrath.

I guess that's the GOOD you take with the BAD for your area.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    That Christmas cactus reminds me of how woefully bad I am at growing them. I have a cutting(it's a couple of years old) that just sits next to my kitchen sink. Every once in awhile I water it. It doesn't grow. It tries, like right now, to add new segments--sometimes that works and sometimes I find them withered. What is the proper way to care for a Christmas cactus(in zone 6).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

ANN'S PINK CAMILLIA . . .

REVISITED

Here's an early Christmas gift for you Ann:
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast