+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wascally Wabbit & Witch Hazel

Blog Entries

Wascally Wabbit & Witch Hazel

Well, the 3 Witch Hazels that I planted on TG day have been trimmed down by Wascally Wabbits. At first I just saw the one plant and thought my dog had run over it but then I saw the other two and they were cut clean at about the same height. Well, I now know for sure they were alive as they are green inside ! Question is will they grow back in spring ?
    As for the wabbits, I am back to Elmer Fudd mode trying to figure out how to keep them from eating what's left of the seedlings(about 3.5 inches of twig !).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    There's a couple of things you can do to protect what's left of your cuttings. You can make a cylinder with either chicken wire or hardware clothe (1/4-inch mesh) and pin it to the ground or (better) have three pieces of PVC pipe cut 4 to 6-inches longer than the stems and drop them over the remaining stems and pound them into the ground a few inches. 4-inch diameter PVC will leave plenty of room for emerging spring growth and be far enough away from the roots to keep from damaging them when you drive them into the ground. Once the bushes have grown and established themselves you can remove the VC sleeve. (You'll probably have to use a saw to cut it into two pieces for removal.)

The PVC sleeve will also keep hubby from mowing the tiny shrubs down, or getting them with the old weed whacker.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Good idea. That reminded me that I had a rose guard kit from years ago. I made 3 collars out of the plastic mesh & had a ground clip for each. It will do for now ..but if they do survive I know I'll have to move on to other ideas such as you indicated. Thanks !

You could also use some of those sweet little kittens that Rebecca is saving, huh?

Cats do keep certain critters away, but make sure you get one that your dog likes!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Apparently my Witch Hazels have some unbelievably bad karma.
    When we had the ice storm, a tree limb fell on one of them and its protective ring(LOL!- I was thinking rabbit attack not Road Runner/Wylie Coyote Style 'objects' falling from above). Actually the nubbin left by the rabbit was bent.
    Should I prune below that bend ?
    The good news is that what I could see inside was green. I can't imagine in what form these things will grow now(from the roots or side shoots).

The trick is to get it established with what ever help you have to give it. Once it grows up beyond the reach of the rabbits, you can then begin to shape it to your liking.

Unless the "Bend" is a really bad break I think I would leave it alone, or straighten it a bit, and treat it like a graft. If the bend/brake is too low, you may not have any buds left for it to continue growing.

Forget about Karma, your plants are not "witched", they just need to get themselves established. I hope you have them in a prominate place in your landscape, they will give you a lot of pleasure later on. They may bloom on this years growth next fall, keep their seeds until the following fall so you can plant them and have fun 2 years from now.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread