+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confused bulbs ?

Blog Entries

Confused bulbs ?

Two weeks ago I moved some allium(globemaster and schubertii) bulbs. Frankly I don't know which is which. I did not mulch them and now one of them is sending up green leaves. What's up with that ? Will this impede their flowering when they are supposed to(in the Spring)?
    Also, same story with the Easter lilies. Admittedly some of them were growing(new growth) when I transferred out of pots but I just set them at the appropriate depth and darned if they aren't poking up through their little dirt hills.
    I have read about bulbs resetting their little internal clocks but is this way too early growth spurt doing to 'do them in'?

"If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I agree, bulbs are hard to ID when they are dormant. I guess the best way to separate them is when they come up and start blooming. Strike while the iron is hot, and label them then.

Not to worry about the Easter lily. The may very well stay green all winter, or not. The bulb that will do all the blooming is probably still quite dormant. Even so, they will not bloom at Easter. Count on them sometime in June. Next year, they will acclimatize to your area and will settle down for you. The ones that gave me the same trouble you are having, are now totally dormant, with no growth showing. With bulbs, patience is not just a virtue, it is essential for your sanity.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    I think this is A. schubertii:

Of course, you can't tell by the bulb since all allium bulbs varry only slightly and mainly in size!

Rebecca

Well darn! I did a search and found out this is NOT A. schubertii, but didn't find out who it is either! Rats, that means my schubertii have died out. Double rats! Good thing I saved seeds from it the last time it bloomed. Of course with my luck I've got them labled wrong!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

Still buying/planting bulbs !

Well, the allium is still green even though it is currently 22 wind chill 6. They are facing south however. My dog is sunbathing on the deck(faces south also) right now--she loves this weather. We had to buy her a heated water dish yesterday because the water kept freezing and the poor thing kept trying to paw at it.
    Went to WallyWorl today and went through all the lilium bulbs. I had been there earlier and I saw 'Pink Perfection' written on a bag and I thought I'll look it up when I get home. Came to find out it is a trumpet hybrid. I hightailed it back there and spent lots of time opening bags and checking out the bulbs inside. I ended up with 6 Pink Perfection bulbs, 3 South Pacific(white asiatics-like I need more white to go with the 50 Easter lilies!), and 3 more Camelot(bicolor asiatic). Also, grabbed a 25 pack of Dutch Iris. Eack bag of bulbs, and I ended up with 5, was just a $1.
    Not sure where they will go--these bulbs were also lounging in a heated greenhouse, so I hope that doesn't mess them up when it's time to go outside in the ground which might be as soon as Sunday. I have to plant 36 liatris corms as well. Supposed to be -50ish Sunday-I hope no wind. Anyway, I'm happy about my bulb haul today !
    P.S. They had tons of amaryllis bulbs but like they used to say, "Just Say No"--I was very close to buying one but said what makes this one differnt from the other 8--I'll have to nurse this one along as well. And I was actually able to leave it behind. LOL !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-24-2004 at 12:59 PM.

What a Deal!!!

Cathy,

You can't lose at those prices.

Last year, they had Lilium in Walmart, but I didn't see any this year. They are hard to grow here because you HAVE to put them in a high, well drained area. We get so much rain in the winter, and the cold is on and off again.

I have found that the Stargazers and Easter Lilies are easier than some of the others, but perhaps that is because I have had them longer.

The Lollipops and a few others still live in the original pots.

I have some Tiger Lilies that a friend sent me. My husband weed whacked the mother bulbs this year, so I won't know how well they survived that until spring. However, the lilium scales that I propagated weren't damaged by the fallen tree. I have them inside the porch for now. I don't want them drenched by rain just yet.

You did well.... Sort of like an early visit from Santa, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Guess what Santa brought !

Yes, I was kinda thinking 'early visit from Santa ' too. But , guess what, Santa also brought me bulbs ! A co-worker and his wife gave me a wrapped gift the other day. I told him that I'd put it under the tree and open on Christmas. It turned out to be Ziva Paperwhite Narcissus bulbs (12 in a kit). I thought that was just so neat ! It's funny in all my bulb buying I knew the paperwhites were nearby but for some reason I didn't really tune into them. I guess I found out why ! Happy Happy !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-25-2004 at 09:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    What a nice, thoughtful gift!

If I may suggest, instead of using what cam with them, pot them up in a larger pot with regular potting soil and see how much better they do! Heck, you might even be able to hold them over and get them to bloom again next year.

I made the mistake of not watering mine when they finally went dormant and lost them all. Sisn't get any new ones this year, but you'd better believe the next time I do I'll give them better after care. Might even pot them up with an amaryllis or two and see what happens. Hey, now there's a thought!

Rebecca

Blog Entries
    I'll give that a try. I notice the instructions advise placing in the dark until roots form(2 weeks)--does that sound right ?

Had a pleasant time planting this afternoon. Just the sound of Robins swooshing leaves looking for bugs. And the occasional whoosh of bird wings flying over in a flock. But I did have a senior moment too...
    Planted 9 bulbs that I bought yesterday and about 16 liatris corms. Had planned to put the Pink Perfection trumpets in the back row alternating them w/ purple liaris. When I got done, I checked to see what I had left to plant tomorrow and couldn't find my Camelots(asiatics). Duh ! My first gardening senior moment..I had picked up the two bags of Pink Perfection and I guess the Camelot bag thinking I had forgotten that I had bought 3 bags of Pink Perf instead of 2. After planting 6 bulbs in one spot and 3 in another, I took a good look at the bags when I couldn't find the Camelots and realized I had planted both thinking they were all Pink Perf. I really had bought only 2 bags of Pink Perfection and 1 of Camelot. The only issue here is a slight--couple of feet--height diff ! Oh well ! I guess I'll figure out who is where in the summer !
    It was in the 40's today and should be in the 50's tomorrow..more opportunity to plant bulbs !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-25-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Figured the Paperwhites out !

LOL ! Figured out the paperwhites. This is what I read about the Ziva:
    Place in a cool, dark, well-ventilated spot for 2 weeks during root formation. Check the water from time to time and add if necessary to maintain a constant level. You will know the roots are sufficiently developed when the flower bud extends 1 to 2 inches out of the neck of the bulb.

Well mine have top sprouts so I looked at the bottoms--roots ! Five bulbs actually figured out how to get roots into the little bag of soil that comes with them. The longest root was almost 12 inches ! There's no question that little shallow tray and little bag of soil are not going to be adequate ! So, it looks like I'm all ready to just stick in pots. I'll try potting 6 in each of 2 pots and put in a sunny window(that would be the Amaryllis window).

Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-25-2004 at 07:02 PM.

Cathy,

I have thought and thought and thought, but I don't know what to say about the paperwhites. My first introduction to them was that they were a flowerless bulb on my sister's ranch, and she let me dig up some.

I wished I had dug up more. She had 1,000's and 1,000's of them lining the fence rows.

They were planted deep, so I brought them home, and the soil gets so hard here that I didn't plant them as deep.

But, low and behold, they grew and they multiplied and I learned what they were.

They go completely dormant in the summer like daffodils. But they are hardier than daffodils are here. They don't seem to mind the wet, wet soil year round.

They peep up out of the ground every year and I always think they are early. Some have already bloomed. I know I need to divide them because they multiply like crazy.

I think they are the easiest and hardiest bulb that I grow. So very dependable, and they just keep multiplying.

I don't know what else to say because I have never given them any attention. They just grow on their own.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    It is fortunate that Ann is in Zone 9 as the paperwhites are hardy there, not so for us in Zones 6 and 5 or colder. Here they are mostly treated as an annual bulb; it blooms once and is tossed. Except for us diehard gardeners who pot them up in big pots and treat them like amaryllis!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Yes, Rebecca! I know....

That is why it is so hard for me to answer that one, except for my experiences with them in the ground.

Right now, I see that they are in dire need of dividing. The leaves are tightly packed, and I do not see as many blooms coming up as usual.

It's time to get out that shovel and DIVIDE them, along with the daylilies, crinium, amaryllis and daffodils that are all in that same small bed.

In two days, we are supposed to warm up a bit, and it will be 'SHOVEL' time. Even though the paperwhites have leaves, they absolutely MUST be divided, so I will. Everything has grown too close together, and unfortunately one has to pick the least 'worst' time to divide them.

I don't know what variety they are, but they are strong bulbs, so they most likely will not mind the move. I know they will LOVE the root space.

ENJOY!!! I do love bulbs, and I wish they were all as easy as this one!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Tell me about your crinum. Last year I bought Ellen Bosanquet(from Florida) for my mother in Florida. They each have, I guess, two long green leaves. What month(s) do they flower ?and is there anything that can be done to increase the odds of flowering ? (They are in the sun).
    Thanks.

Cathy,

The ones planted in the front bed, right next to the brick and near where the water 'floods' off the roof of the house, blooms beautifully every year.

The ones that I have had for a lot longer that are by the well (water) house used to bloom great, but they have become overcrowded and aren't blooming as well.

The ones planted where the red passiflora 'took over' bloomed very little, even though the leaves were about 4-5 feet long.

I think the best advise I can give you is to give them plenty of space, plant them deep, give them as much sun and warmth as possible and don't let them get overcrowded. Water them as much as possible. They seem to like water. Our spring droughts of the last two years hasn't done much for them.

I rarely, if ever. fertilize them. I let them get the natural fertilizer, I suppose.

I do know that if you dig them up and accidently cut them in half, that the halves will grow and bloom very soon thereafter. They don't seem to mind that. Just let the wounds dry up and heal, and as long as there is a little basal plate left, they will survive.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    TOM WAS RIGHT !!!!!
    My Easter Lilies are about to "bust a bloom" !

Picture a whole bed of Easter Lilies--that's what I'm looking at !

+ Reply to Thread