+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Probability on Identity of Jasmine

Blog Entries

Probability on Identity of Jasmine

This is probably a probability question. I just received a potted Jasmine plant as a gift. It is healthy and big. But the pot only indicates: 10 inch Jasmine Moderate Temps there is also 'FFL' somewhere on the tag but that might mean nothing. I live in Zone 6; it was bought from some Mart(K or Wal) here. What are the chances I have a winter hardy one versus one I need to keep inside over the winter ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Is there any indication on the pot, or tag, who the grower is?
    If you could find that, then they could "probably" tell you from UPC code which of their plants you have.

Keep it inside, make a cutting and then plant the cutting outside and see if it survives.

Tell the giver that you value their gift and want to give it the very best care you can. You need more information on it either from the store, or grower and enlist their help in tracking it down.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Tom- What a hoot ! I love a challenge. In my next life I'm going to be a detective. Asked gift giver, called Wal-Mart(she didn't know they had Jasmine), got name of nursery in OK(hadn't sold Jasmine in 3 years). Nursery was very nice and said most of what is sold is hardy south of them. That the Jasmine is probably not cold hardy and to treat as a tropical.
    Care sounded pretty much like a peace lily; she said they like bathrooms--indirect light; water when dry(they will let you know when) and I might get some blooms off it presently. Fun ! (probably as in Fun-gus gnats--and I promised myself no winter indoor 'boarders' this year--but already have peace lilies from outdoors soon to be joined by these current garage dwellers that have to come in very soon(like tonight): azalea, sweet potato vine, sword ferns, kalanchoe, ?
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 11-23-2004 at 01:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think I solved this mystery. On my amaryllis quest I saw jasmines. One had a tag reading murraya paniculata. Translation: Orange jasmine ! It's indoors in my basement in an east window and seems happy.

I also solved a long standing mystery of the name of a pretty yellow flowered plant I'd see in Florida--it's Allamanda. Sort of a tropical trumpet vine.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-16-2004 at 09:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Positive Jasmine Id

Well. Jasmine bloomed and made it so easy to identify her. She is an Angelwing Jasmine:
    http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...m_nitidum.html

She has been inside for several months and will go out when it gets warm enough.
    How do you all deal with your tropicals that summer outdoors and winter indoors. I mean, do you put it in a larger pot, do you twist the pot every now and then to discourage roots going into the ground, etc. ?

I'm Impressed!

You started this quest back in Nov. and now you have your question answered. Great!

It is a pretty plant. But, like you, I really don't need any more winter time freeloaders. We have a few that get to come in, and 2 or three that stay in, and some that get into the garage when things get really bad out.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread