+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something other than mums in bloom in zone 6 garden !

Blog Entries

Something other than mums in bloom in zone 6 garden !

Imagine my surprise this morning at seeing crocus-like purple flowers--they are Saffron-crocus sativus. Not to be confused with fall blooming crocus, these flowers yield the edible flavoring used in cooking-saffron(the stamens and anthers are dried). I just planted the bulbs 2 weeks ago but had started indoors in plastic baggies (an idea from Ann) because I had no idea where to plant them at the time but had to get them planted.

http://home.comcast.net/~themangrovetree/saffron.htm
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

In bloom

My Carolina Jasmine is in full bloom here at thanksgiving in Z-6.We'll pay for it later.
    Thanks,
    William B.

Blog Entries
    I not only have Snapdragons and Allysum still blooming, in spite of two hard freezes, I also have a few Purple Cone Flowers blooming AND a WHITE Cone Flower Seedling blooming for the first time! Miniature Roses are still trying, but they are beginning to look like they aren't really serious about it! This is the first time I have even seen any of the Cone FLowers bloom this late, let alone a seedling bloom for the very first time.

The daylilies, on the other hand have all gone to sleep, well, except for Stella! But then I've seen Stella open blooms in the SNOW!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

My roses have still been blooming,Too, also blackeyed stella. It is supposed to get down to 27 this week so that should stop any blooming til spring.
    Dazed Lily- you better get out there and collect that saffron. Do you know how expensive it is? Where did you get the bulbs?
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Sue Salley- Yep. I harvested 10 threads on Sunday. Before I looked, I thought I'd be going for the stigmas but quickly saw those red threads and knew that was what I was going after. I've got no idea how much they go for ? So far I've dried them but am not too sure what to do with them next.
    I bought them from a gal in Tangent, OR: 12 large bulbs for $6 at the end of the summer. She is a very good source for lily bulbs and strange bulbs; I think she's in wholesale cut flower business. She goes by the name buggycrazy on the auction sites.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Look for the Spanish dish, Paella

Also the Amish dish, Chicken & Noodles

Sandi
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Well I don't have a single thing blooming now. I did have some assylum (sp?) blooming but that bit the dust a couple days ago. We are down to 28 tonite (brrrr!). We've had a couple of freezes but am really amazed at all the green in my garden areas. I did have some beautiful purple mums and some 'purple dome' asters that sure looked nice. The black eyed susans were also blooming until just a few days ago.
    Yup, had me a purple coneflower too.
    I'm hoping to have a glorious display of spring blooming bulbs, planted at least 200 daffs (different kinds) along with a few other kinds of bulbs too. Sure hope I planted them deep enough.
    Countdown for spring has begun for me!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Wow, saffron from from the garden! I keep meaning to buy some of those lovelies and always forget. The saffron threads go for about $40.00 an ounce! Enjoy!

I still have camellias and a climbing aster blooming. Most other plants have given up by now.

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.
    Newt
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Thanksgiving day I went to the farm. My yellow butterfly bushes were full of blooms. Not much else.
    Saffron is good in rice. Do a search for saffron recipes online.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread