+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brrrrrr!

Brrrrrr!

Colder weather is definitely here. Okay, my northern friends, so my cold is cool and not really cold, but I have to tell you it feels GOOD!

I am watching the weather closely. Time is running out to find a temporary means for protecting my tropicals. My youngest brother is going to try to help me some by hauling the materials for me, and I hope he will help me with some of the construction.

I had hoped to have something more permanent built, but I can't even get a contractor to do the repairs to the house. My brother is going to start on that this week. Shingles are backordered for 3-6 months and the price has almost doubled, so back to the insurance company...

I spent today sorting plants. They were all mixed up here and there in groups. I think I found all of the baby Amaryllis and older Amaryllis. I had some seedlings in four inch pots. I transplanted them from cell paks early last spring. They overwintered outdoors, so more came up in the cell paks. I decided to take Cathy's cue and replant them as a community in 3 gallon pots. The tiny bulbs are close together, but there is plenty of room for root growth and enough to triple in size this winter (I wish).

I have most of my potted daylily seedlings in two separate areas now. Some, I hope to get into permanent beds in the month to come.

Once again, I saw more signs of life that were not visible after Ivan. There are tiny coleus seedlings everywhere. You have to realize that my coleus were covered with seed pods when the winds began to blow.

It was a fun day. I even mowed the front yard. The back yard is going to have to wait. Too much to do...

I sure wish I could take this entire week off, but I can't!

Enjoying days in the upper 60's....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I can appreciate your version of "cold"! We've been colder than normal, but to me even normal is pretty darned cold! Last couple of nights it's been in the mid to upper 20's, yep, hard freezes! It rained all day Friday, and not very pleasant when I had to be out in it a couple of times either putting packages into the storage trailers at work or when I took food th the remaining three feral kittens. More rain is expected after mid-week and I am not looking forward to it, or the inevitable snow fall. Double BURRRRR!

Looks like the other apartment (in this duplex) will be empty again this winter. I really hate that as it does make it harder to keep my half warm and comfortable. The last set of tenants moved out in April and the unit has been empty since then. It would rent a lot quicker if he'd lower the rent!, but on the positive side, higher rent does help to keep the rift-raft out! As far as I know, no one has even looked at the place in a couple of months.

Think warm thoughts and stay warm!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

What you are experiencing now are our REALLY cold days. I have to admit that I am not very familiar with days that go below the mid 20's. I surely hope that we will not have one of those this year.

Our record lows are something like 5-10 degrees and are very, very rare. I suppose that if those happen, I will be minus a lot of plants that I have accumulated via propagation from cuttings from friends and family over the years.

Like you have said before, good ole mother nature has a kind way of taking care of her own...

I am still not ready for winter, but it sounds like yours is well on its way.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

winter, you can have it. i will keep spring and fall.

i had ice in my rain barrels over the weekend.at least a quarter of an inch thick. maybe it was just hard water. it didnt break when i hit it the first or second time. i have burnt over a cord of firewood already maybe 2.leaves were gone off of the trees weeks ago.
    really heavy frosts lately.i dont have the coldframes covered yet but almost all of the pots are placed inside the frames.
    just a few more ok maybe 200 to get moved.
    i finally figured out why the local nurseries have thier coldframes covered last week.it dawned on me duh , so they can lay all of the help off for the winter, before the holidays.
    shepp

Hi All,
    Yup, getting cold here, too. Was in the low 40's today, with a light sprinkling of rain this evening. Supposed be sunny and mid 50's tomorrow. Which is good, since need to load more of this firewood. Yes Shepp, we've already burnt about a cord of wood, too. My pond has had a layer of ice on 5 different mornings. But it doesn't stay as the temps have been in the 40's. Did manage to clean out most of the leaves and water plants. Still have to collect some mulch for my beds, although haven't ever winter mulched them. So if it doesn't get done, well . . . so be it.
    Stay warm everyone!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread