+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will a rose bloom freeze in the 20's?

Blog Entries

Will a rose bloom freeze in the 20's?

First freeze tonite. Single rose on my Medeiland(spelling) rose bush. Just wondering if I should cut it and bring it in or will it stay OK if left out in mid-20's weather ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I am not familiar with that particular rose, but I can tell you this...

Most of my old roses will stay green all winter. They won't bloom in the winter, though. The rose hips will turn red and ripen, if they are prone to producing hips.

It all depends on how hardy the roses are.... My hybrids which are slowly dwindling away because they take too much care will often die back during our winters. I should mention an exception to that and that is Mr. Lincoln. It is huge, like a climbing rose.

It all depends on the hardiness of the specific rose bush. And there are so many that have different needs.

Hope that helps...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Update: I didn't cut it and it did just fine. It was special because it was my only fall bloom on 6 rose bushes--one flower ! Those odds make it special. I love the color as it is so intensely electric. I did some searching and found a photo. They call it scarlet but I remember when I bought them that they were something like 'sevilliana'(update: see second link below. The color in this photo is absolutely accurate(but see second link) :

http://www.oldheirloomroses.com/Scarlet_meidiland.htm

My next question will be since my rose bushes are getting old(from the late 80's) and I haven't done any professional pruning over the years(meaning they are tall and unruly), is it too late to start doing that and can they be propagated ?

Another update:I did more searching and did find Sevilliana(color is accurate):

http://www.rumwoodnurseries.co.uk/ro...sevilliana.jpg
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 11-13-2004 at 10:44 AM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread