+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amaryllis for Christmas????

Amaryllis for Christmas????

I had to plant these. They were growing in the bag. These were extra large bulbs at the price of $6.83 or something like that.

They are already blooming, and I love it!

Double Record
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Just One

of my VERY FAVORITE!

Lady Jane....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The bloom isn't as big. It is only slightly doubled, but it has a satin sheen and has darker red tones that portrayed in the picture.

Red Peacock...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Speaking of Amaryllis, I brought mine in from outside a couple weeks ago and it is now starting to send up a green shoot. This will be the flowers right? Your amaryllis' are beautiful. Hope everything is coming along for you.

Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

Many times, the first green you see here is the green of new leaves, but soon thereafter is a thicker shoot that is less green and that will the the bloom stalk. The bloom stalk will grow faster than the leaves.

So, right now, it is hard to tell whether what you see is leaves are a bloom...

Perhaps Rebecca has a better clue because my older ones that are still outside in pots are in full foliage right now. I will plant them in the ground as soon as the leaves die back.

I still have not made up my mind about what to do with all the babies... Rather to try to protect them over the winter or plant them. The bulb cuttings are getting rather large, but not large enough to bloom, and I have lots and lots of seedlings that are 3/8" to 3/4" in diameter. They are currently in separate little 4 inch pots, but I am thinking about consolidating them into 2 gallon pots and overwintering to give them a better boost for next year.

Decisions....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

PS

The little black specs you see on the images are splatterings of soil mixture because of the heavy rains last night.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Vicki,

Look closely at the green tip, if it is "dimpled" and somewhat thick, it's possibly a bloom stalk on it's way up. You'll know for certain in a few days. Most reblooming Hipps will put up new leaves before the flower stalks, but not always!

Ann,

One of my two newest ones has blooms open already! I doubt it has grown any new roots yet. The other one is at the same stage of development it was at when I finally potted them a couple of weeks ago. Both are in the basement so are growing cool as opposed to warm if they were upstairs. "Promise" is still in active growth and "Papillon" seems to be at a stand still for the time being. It stayed dormant most of the summer so I guess it's resting right now. I should bring it upstairs, and may, once I fins a spot for it!

Oh, the one that is blooming is Philadelphia. I'm not all that impressed with it, but perhaps the second bloom stem will preform better.

I'm trying something different with all of them this winter. Ones that still have a leaf or two are under the lights and the ones that have lost all their foliage are away from any direct light. In itself a fairly normal thing to do, although I generally keep the dormant ones totally dark, and withhold all water except for an occasional drink to keep the bulbs plump. I've been letting the potting mix dry out and then give them a shot of water, so there is always a trace of moisture in the mix. Several are more than big enough to bloom when they get ready to. I expect "Elvas", a couple of the "Minervia" and perhaps "Dazzler" will bloom around mid winter.

All of the bulbs I planted in the wallpaper paste trays need to be moved to larger quarters! They really grew well this summer and several pots of "baby bulbs" have done well enough to be moved on to more space. I'll probably move them to the trays and the ones in the trays to 14-inch pots. Just when I expect to get this done is another situation!

All for now,

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

Every year, I say that I am going to put them in the ground. Then, in my mind, I see images of the ones that people bring in that have problems with insects and some sort of other infestation.

Then I remember the ones a block or two away that come back every year as healthy as ever and bloom like crazy.

I am still building up my nerve, but I know in my heart that they have a better chance in the ground.

You have some that I have not seen before, and I hope you will post some pics....

Rebecca, you share my passion for plants!!!! That makes me feel not quite so wierd and some may think I am...

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

WEIRD is a GOOD THING!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Join Weirdos, Intnat'l. Dare to be different. Never conform.

My grandkid started kindergarten this year and one of the first things they learn is how to operate in a group, how to stand in line, how to cooperate. Yeah, I know, but I do wish equal time were spent on developing their creativity, being different is good, think outside the box, think for yourself, etc.

Forgive this old curmudgeonly lady. You just hit one of my hot buttons. My biggest problem is that I don't know how to be unweird.

Sandi
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries

Hippeastrum 'Philadelphia'

Not up-loaded to the new site yet and color still a bit "warm" due to the fluorescent lighting, but here goes:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Slightly different angle:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh! I LOVE 'Philadelphia'.

I noticed yesterday that mine has gotten HUGE, far bigger than any other Amaryllis bulb that I have. I am surprised that it did not multiply, but I know for sure that it needs a bigger pot.

I only have one of those, so I don't dare chance cutting it. I would rather try to capture some of its pollen and try it on a single variety.

So, someone kick me and remind me that it is okay to plant these bulbs in the garden. I know that I have seen large displays of blooms under a tree near my home. They appear to be Red Lion, but they could be a garden variety.

Oh, my! Oh, my! I do have a passion for these flowers. They last for so very long...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I am a bit concerned about "Philly" since it has already begun to bloom and it's second scape is well up. I don't believe it has done much of anything towards developing a root system. I will have to be very careful about watering this one, especially once it has finished blooming. In fact, I may keep it more to the dry side until the foliage shows that root growth is well under way.

"Aphrodite", the other new one this year, is just barely showing it's bloom scape and I must assume it is busily growing roots.

The rest of the gang is in various states of dormancy except for "Promise", who is still actively growing. I'll keep it watered until it shows signs of impending dormancy.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    OK you guys ! I have never owned an amyrillis(and can't spell it either!), but you've got me going now; I'll stop by Wally World and see what's a) healthy and b) has a pretty pic on the box !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast