+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non stop begonia

Non stop begonia

Hi,
    Was wondering if my non=stop begonia got bit by frost if it will be alright or did I kill it?
    As always thanks!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

Surprisingly, I have had some come back that went dormnat due to freezing temperatures. I thought that I lost them, but I didn't.

What are your plans to protect them for the winter? I know that mine were in hanging baskets, and the temps went below 30 degrees.

They didn't emerge as healthy and pretty as before, but I was surprised when I saw the leaves popping up. Then, again, they were left out all winter and spring (drought) with no watering because I thought they were dead.

Come to find out, they were not. So, who knows... Perhaps, if I had time to take care of them better, they would have emerged again in full force.

Next time, I plan to give them just a little more protection and more water in the spring....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Vicki,

Begonias can't take much cold weather, not even the Non-Stop Begonia. With as late in the season as it is I would bring it indoors and give it a good rest in a cool, dark spot. Water t just enough to keep the potting mix from drying out completely. I water my tuberous Begonias once a month or so, just to keep the tubers from shriveling. Of course, you can also lift the tubers and store them in a baggie with a little slightly damp peat moss in the veggie drawer of your fridge!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks for the responses. I brought the poor thing in it's basket and will stick it in the crawl space where it doesn't freeze but isn't warm either. I'm going to put my callas, cannas, and dahilas down there too.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread