+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fall planting-will i ever finish before spring ?!

Blog Entries

Talking Fall planting-will i ever finish before spring ?!

Pretty much counted on this weekend being the final push to get potted plants into the ground. Well, it didn't happen and I still need another weekend. Oh, yeah, I planted all day yesterday and today but I am still not done ! Fortunately, if I really had to tuck anything away for an overnight freeze, I can since what's left is manageable to 'transport'. I am proud of my hydrangeas which I discovered should really not be transplanted in spring or fall as these are their growth times. But I was careful. They were in huge pots(I get lost with gallonage but I'd say the pots were a a foot and a half in diameter and height). I placed them along the east side of my house and they will get filtered light. These were my rescue hydrangeas from Easter. They took a couple of hours to plant. They were challenging and today's biggest challenge were statice. Statice has very long 'tap' roots which means having to dig a very deep hole. In my digging I hit sand which is very weird; must have been left over from the patio but how it got that far down is beyond me. I did leave some of the statice above the ground and mounded the dirt--I wanted to prevent crown rot. Planting the obedient plants was also a challenge; I put them between some daylilies. By then I have to admit I wasn't planting with much 'love' and got a little lazy. I remember rationalizing, 'well darn it they are weeds and they ought to take some abuse' . So, I called it quits shortly after that. And, as I say every weekend, next weekend I'll finish planting !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 11-07-2004 at 03:41 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Planting the Obedience so close to your Daylilies may have been a mistake. Before you know it they'll be growing in between the daylily fans and you'll have a heck of a time getting rid of it. I have Obedience Plants too, but they are planted where they can't get into trouble, at least not easily. Seems every spring they at least double in mass and I am constantly pulling them out to keep them within bounds! They are almost as bad a 'Kwanso" at getting into places they don't belong!

Be warned, be ready. Oh, they'll live, count on it!

Rebecca

Attachment is a small version of one of my newest backgrounds/screensavers, hope y'all like it!
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Oh, I loove that new image !

The location for the obedient plants was going to be either the lily bed(they keep saying plant a ground cover to keep their feet cool) or the daylily bed. Probably neither is appropriate. This morning while I was rechecking planting instructions for the obedient plant(did an internet search), one source said to place amongst daylilies which would keep them in check. I just wanted the darn things in the ground . You know how it goes ! Apparently, you know how it grows too -LOL ! Long Day ! I might extricate them next weekend. (It is more difficult to walk btw the DLs with them there). I like that--"Oh, they'll live--you can count on it !"

P.S. The columbine is still alive--uh oh, shouldn't have said that too loud !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 11-07-2004 at 05:44 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Kathy,
    I sure know what you mean about getting the plants in the ground. I'm still planting seedlings from winter sowing. My beds should be nice and full next year, as I must've planted close to a couple hundred plants this year. Actually probably more than that as I planted about 60 today. Still have some more to go. Hoping the s_ _ _ stays away long enough, for them to get some roots in the ground. You notice I didn't say that word outloud. LOL! There is none forcast for the next week at least. I was going to overwinter the ones I planted today and the ones I have left, but. . . . . it was so beautiful out and I can't stand being in the house, looking at the things in here that need done. I will have plenty of time to do that in awhile when the s_ _ _ comes! I'm sure I've planted some where they aren't going to be happy, but . . . . . . also moved a few that weren't happy where they were. Live and learn that's my motto.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    We have our first hard freeze forecast for tonight; an event I'd just as soon not even have, ever! I re-potted all of the small seedlings that managed to grow from the late summer sowing and got them all brought into the light garden in the basement along with all of the prolifs that had been set to root in pots. I'm just not so sure they would have made it outside through winter.

Saturday I stopped on my way home from work and filled the cargo area with pine straw to use on the seedling bed. Yesterday I off-loaded it. It is a lot of pine straw, but it is nowhere near enough! While out on errands I looked for more of it, but didn't see a bit! Lots and lots of leaves swept to the curb for pick up by the Street Department though! I plan to cut back all of the plants in the new mound bed and will spread pine straw on it first. What's left of the pine will go on the seedling bed along with some wheat straw. Will still have the potted plants in the holding area to do. Who'd think that getting pine straw and leaves would be such a problem!

There is only one bad things about fall/winter garden chores and that is so much of the work has to be done on Mother Nature's schedule and NOT on ours!

Rebecca

A little "Eye Candy":

Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread