+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a very fun propagation story

Blog Entries

a very fun propagation story

Just thought I’d share a very fun propagation story. Attended a Toastmasters mtg today and one of the speakers spoke about how to make spring rolls. She passed around a sprig of Thai Basil for everyone to smell because it is different from regular basil—a more robust smell and flavor. The first thing I noticed, aside from the good smell, was that it had ‘jointed’ stems. I began to wonder if roots would grown from those ‘joints’ if placed in water. After the meeting, the speaker confirmed how easy it is to grow in the garden and let me have the sprig. So, I’m going to grow some Thai Sweet Basil inside this winter ! Not your usual propagation scenario !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Cat,

You're a die-hard gardener! As am I, and we are all quite good at taking cuttings wherever we can! Be sure to give it lots of light and then mayber you can start new cuttings in the spring to grow out in the gardens! Lucky you!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

That is why it is so much FUN!

Sometimes I try things and think that they won't work. BUT, WHY NOT?

Here is one of those WHY NOTs! It was a tiny tip that broke off my variegated hydrangea. I had a small pot filled with soil, and just 'stuck' it in the potting mix. No rooting hormone or anything.... I didn't even take the time to label it or water it. I was amazed to watch it grow rather than shrivel up and shrink to nothingness.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Remember?

The Turk's Cap hibiscus that I spotted and didn't know what it was....

I came home and used google to search for turk's cap hibiscus because the bloom reminded me of Turk's cap and the leaves reminded me of hibiscus leaves.

Well, the cutting is blooming now. I am pleased that it survived being under the tree that fell. The leaves are looking a little pale, but the plant is big enough to try overwintering in the ground.

A truly amazing find... To me, anyway!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread