+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hosta seeds - storage?

Hosta seeds - storage?

I'd like to gather some Hosta seeds, but I don't know how I should store them til next spring. Anyone have some suggestions?

For example, should I take them out of the pods, or leave them in? What should I keep them in over winter?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt (in OH).

Blog Entries
    Matt, you'll need to remove the papery seeds from the pods and put them into small zip-lock baggies and store them in you fridge until you are ready to plant them. You could also prepare a seed bed for them now, and after the ground has thoroughly chilled, plant the seeds directly to the ground. Barely cover with fine soil, water them in using a fine mist and then mulch with straw (wheat, oat or pine).

I am going to try my hand at growing a few collected seeds under lights this winter along with the daylily seeds produced from crosses made this year.

From what I have heard and read, Hosta seeds sprout fairly easily, but are very slow to grow, at least the first year or so. Patience is definitely needed with these!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

One more question Rebecca -

How long can I keep them in the fridge? At this point, I wasn't planning on planting them til next Spring. Can I leave them in the fridge til then?

Also, do I need to put anything else in the baggie with the seeds (like paper towel or peat moss)?

Thanks for the info,

Matt

Blog Entries
    Matt,

I should think they would keep in the fridge until spring. I wouldn't put anything in with them, perhaps a tiny piece of paper towel to absorb any excess moisture, just be sure to remove it in 7 to 10 days. When it gets closer to planting time you could move the seeds to a larger zip-lock bag that you've put moistened sphagnum moss into. Leave them under refrigeration for another few weeks (check often for mold), then simply lay the baggies under fluorescent lights or a bright, warn spot to germinate. No direct sun though or the seeds will cook!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Here's an interesting site I found on growing hosta from seed that might be helpful.

http://perfectperennials.tripod.com/id10.html

Newt
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

+ Reply to Thread