+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camellias

Camellias

They are now filled with buds.

One of them that I purchased many, perhaps 5 years ago is producing buds for the first time. It is now 10 foot tall, and not as dense as the other forms of camellia.

I think it is more of a tree form, but it has been so long since I purchased it. I lost the tag, and I don't have time to find it.

It bloomed this week, and there are many more blooms to come. It is one of the plants that no longer has partial shade due to the downed pecan tree.

Needless to say that I am pleased to see blooms. They are smaller, but really pretty and lots more buds are ready to open....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh that is so pretty!!! I don't camellias are hardy here. Sure wish they were.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

This afternoon, I remembered to look for seed pods on this camellia, and guess what! I didn't see a lot, but there are a few. They will not be ripe until sometime in the fall, but between now and then I need to borrow Cathy's idea for protecting seeds and put little ballerina skirts on them. Maybe that will keep the squirrels away PLUS given me a chance to harvest them before they fall to the ground.

I am so excited!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

If you take cuttings now, for the next two months, you will be years ahead of seeds, and assured of the same plant. One of the easiest plants I've ever propagated with cuttings. I'll be doing more this month.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom, I have never tried to take cuttings of this one. I shuld try, though, shouldn't I? I wouldn't mind have lots of this variety, but they are indeed slow to grow.

This is one of the older varieties that forms a small tree. The blooms are small, and it blooms earlier than the others.

I'm just thrilled that it has finally gotten old enough to start producing seeds. I'd like to give them a try.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread