+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amaryllis

Amaryllis

Amaryllis bulbs arrived at Walmart a few weeks ago. They are only the more readily available varieties, though. They are priced at $3.93. The potting and mix is included.

This week, I notice some that are already potted. The bloom stalks are about 6-8 inches high already. To my surprise, they were also priced at $3.93.

The garden center area is filled with Christmas items.

I'm still not ready for winter...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Yes, I saw the strange juxtaposition of Christmas items and garden supplies while at Wal-Mart today. It was just plain weird !
    Imagine seeing Mrs and Mrs Claus next to Bug-Away Candles and garden fencing........

Saw those Amaryllis...never tried them..I know they pop up in office cubes this time of year..some people have contests with them...whose will bloom first...yes, cubeville is almost as weird as ..well...Wal-Mart in October !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

They had some doubled Amaryllis as well as others in stock today. They are more expensive, more like $5.97.

I bought two kits for my classroom, Elvis and Promise. I figure if the kids knock them over or break them, I can always make bulb cuttings.

I also bought two containers of Christmas Cactus which are filled with buds.

Today, they have Christmas Carols playing in the garden center. I told them that something is not right about that. It's too soon for Christmas.

Oh! I almost forgot! My paperwhites have lots of leaves popping out of the ground.

Lots of signs in nature that cooler weather is coming, but I am simply NOT READY!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Should Paperwhites be doing that this time of year ? I assume you mean they are outside. I ask because I have some jolly jonquils(post Easter church rescues still in pots), if they are daffs they are small and delicate, that are sending up green. Either they are confused or I am confused.

My paperwhites always come up before the daff's and they bloom before them. They bloom in early to mid winter, and when the blooms start fading, I begin to see the daffodil blooms.

Since they have been in my garden for over ten years, I suppose I just take them for granted and don't notice how early they start emerging. Perhaps I am noticing more this year because they are under the foliage of shrubs whose leaves were lost or damaged by Ivan.

Their blooms are always a welcome sight in the winter when almost everything else has died to the ground or is deciduous.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ah yes, the lovely Paper whites. Ann, you are so fortunate to be able to grow them in your garden, they are not winter hardy up North! Sounds like they are growing and will be blooming right on time. I grew mine potted in soil last year but can't remember what I've done with them since. I do have a few small daffodil-like bulbs on a bench in the basement that are trying to sprout, perhaps that is them?!

Ann, you will love the Double Flowered Amaryllis! Those are the two I got last Fall and they were gorgeous! This year I picked up 'PHILADELPHIA' and 'APHRODITE'. I've had 'Aphrodite' before but don't know which one it is or even if I still have it. I've had these for about three weeks and haven't potted them up yet, but it looks like I need to as both are trying to sprout. It has been experience that the doubles benefit from a little bottom heat to get them started and a slightly dryer mix until foliage is well up. That's also when I start regular applications of fertilizer - bloom booster formula.

'Promise' bloomed this summer so I doubt if it will bloom again this winter. I am not planning on keeping it growing, but will "force" it into dormancy with all the others. I do have most of them under a light, I haven't watered them though as I do want then to rest completely. Once the foliage has all died back I'll put them in the driest, coolest spot in the basement for a few months. Some will need to be re-potted as they have grown too fat for the containers they are in.

'Papillon' finally decided to come back into growth after being dormant nearly all summer. Both "pups" are as big as the mother bulb now and it really should be moved on to a bigger pot. Will wait to see if it decides to bloom first. I have quite a few others that made really good bulb increase during the summer and they need to be moved on as well.

All of the tropicals are indoors now and I have yet to get the rest of the lights set up in the basement. I really must get that done. I put all of the late summer sown seedling on the patio stand to keep the squirrel out of them. The plastic has been dropped down around the stand, but these will be brought indoors for the winter as soon as I get the lights re-done. The surviving Christmas Cactus are putting out a few buds and my Bougainvillea
    is in bloom, well the magenta one anyway. I also have a white-flowered variety. Both have been grown from cuttings.

And, 3 out of 5 of my Phalaenopsis Orchids are blooming and a fourth one is in spike!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I have one each of the Elvis and the Promise already, and they are very pretty.

I always hesitate to propagate these unless I have more than one because life has been so hectic with school and all.

Most likely, I will make bulb cuttings of these that go to school, but until then, we will enjoy the bulbs and foliage. I may even try to dabble with some of the pollen.

FUN plants.

I don't have the APHRODITE, but can assure you that you will love the Philadelphia.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rebecca,

I found an 'APHRODITE' at Walmart. I purchased two of them.

Pretty! I will try to post a picture when these bloom.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Finally Found IT!!!

I couldn't remember when Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) start becoming available on the market here. I looked, but couldn' t find this thread. I know that last year, there were almost none on the market, but I think that had to do with Katrina.

Finally, I found it and now I know that I can start watching for what varieties are available in the next few weeks.

Last year, Home Depot had Picotee at reasonable prices, and they were indeed Picotee.

Curiousity is getting the better of me. I can't wait to see what is available this year. Amaryllis is by far my favorite bulb.

Lowes is the only one that has fall bulbs aready on stock, and there aren't very many of those. They are mostly daffodils, tulips, anenome and ranunculus.

As soon as the weather starts getting just a little cooler, I start getting the fall bulb FEVER!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh boy ! This reminds me that I need to repot my amaryllis. This would be the time of year to do it, right ?

P.S. After I posted, I scrolled up and saw that gorgeous orchid photo from Rebecca. It's just stunning isn't it ?!

Sorry, NO!

Replant them at the beginning of the new vegetation period, that is when spontaneous new growth will appear on the dry bulbs in their pots in the early spring.

In Germany Knight star lily (Hippeastrum) as well as christmas tazetta narcissi (paperwhites) bulbs are sold from October on. These bulbs have all been prepared by particular temperature treatments, previously.

These Amaryllis will acclimatize quickly and, although not reposing the first winter will subsequently grow during summer and undergo a first reposal period in the winter 2007/8.

The Paperwhites, however, are far more capricious and although they will very readily bloom, they will seldom be successfully cultivated after they have bloomed, and reblooming is not likely.
    (Exceptions only do verify the rule - in this sense congratulations, Ann)

click on the for full sized versions. On the other hand, fragrance transmission is not yet accomplishable, Hélas

Hans-Werner
    [Huns Vairnair] *lol*

Hans,

I don' t know what specific variety I have. In fact, I know very little about paperwhites except that they grow easily here.

One thing I do know about the variety that I have is that they aren't fragrant, but they do have a 'smell'. It's not a smell that you want on your kitchen table. Take my word for it because I tried, and they went back outside.

I love them though. Especially since they bloom during our colder months and multiply like crazy!

Love the [img] image!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yes, I read elsewhere about the "pooo" accent of paperwhite fragrance.
    However, those which are sold for indoors forcing would definitely have become a very bad reputation if so.

Although, when I sniffed very carefully I found indeed that the paperwhite scent is not consummately pure - a hint of poo or cat peepee is included, that is correct

Hans-Werner

LAS!!! I do remember that my first thought was 'urine'.

Because of that, I often wondered if those sold for indoor blooms are a different variety than those that I have.

Of course, when I speak of a floral boquet of them, I mean a rather large bouquet. The first and only one that I made was at the ranch where mine originated. The arrangement was disgarded despite the fact that I am not sensitive to light fragrances.

Outside, they do not bother me, and I love them!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Someone please tell me how to force mine into dormancy. Just let it dry out and put in basement?
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast