+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dutchman's Pipe

Dutchman's Pipe

I had a Dutchman's Pipe vine that I started from seed. It was in my leanto area and when I was moving the plants from under the fallen pecan tree, I spotted some seed pods. Gee, I never even had a chance to see the blooms!

Anyway, one of the seed pods was ripe, and I harvested it. Several others were not, but the vine was tangled around other plants, so to make a long story short, I had to break them from the mother plant. Today, I found the pods, and they had hundreds of flat seeds, unlike the fewer fat ones in the already ripened pod.

Now, I know that they do bloom and make seeds. The leaves of the vines are pretty and very delicate, heart shaped.

The mother vine was protected during the winter months by the demolished leanto, so I wonder if I will ever get seed without winter protection.

Anyone grow this particular vine?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Can these vines be grown as an annual? Just wondering. ... . . . .
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that they would bloom in time unless you started them in the fall and protected them over the winter.

Since I didn't see the blooms, I am not sure how long it took to grow to a blooming size.

Since a couple of seed pods were ripe after the hurricane, I tend to think that those must have bloomed in the spring which gave them time to ripen.

I don't think they bloomed the first year, but I can't be sure....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread